You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Inabtanin, and more material of Arambourgiania

Started by Halichoeres, September 08, 2024, 02:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

This article describes new azhdarchid fossils from Jordan, including both wing elements and jaws from a new genus and species, Inabtanin alarabia, and a humerus from the existing genus Arambourgiania.

Here's the cranial material of Inabtanin.

I think this is paywalled, but message me if you want a pdf. https://doi.org/10.1080/02724634.2024.2385068
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shuvuuia

Probably discussed in the paper, but I wonder how they identified that the jaw elements aren't also from Arambourgiania

ceratopsian

I could see the paper, so not paywalled it seems.

Concavenator

If I was asked what Inabtanin is, rather than a pterosaur, I would've guessed it is some sort of chemical compound.  :P

stargatedalek

Quote from: Shuvuuia on September 08, 2024, 10:37:21 AMProbably discussed in the paper, but I wonder how they identified that the jaw elements aren't also from Arambourgiania
The paper cites the internal structures of the limbs being distinct, with different patterns of hollow elements.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Shuvuuia on September 08, 2024, 10:37:21 AMProbably discussed in the paper, but I wonder how they identified that the jaw elements aren't also from Arambourgiania

Yeah, as SGD indicates, they have forelimb material from both, and they differ in both size and details of morphology. I just highlighted the head material because I find it easiest to relate to.

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 08, 2024, 01:36:21 PMI could see the paper, so not paywalled it seems.

Ah, excellent news, thanks!

Quote from: Concavenator on September 08, 2024, 07:20:07 PMIf I was asked what Inabtanin is, rather than a pterosaur, I would've guessed it is some sort of chemical compound.  :P

Yeah, the "-in" ending makes me think of a protein. "Grape dragon" is a fun etymology, though!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.