News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kits for beginners?

Started by Pachyrhinosaurus, June 01, 2013, 01:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

I have very little experience with model kits, and I was thinking of building a second one. My main question, though, is what kit to build. I'm loking for something easy to assemble and paint, which is also inexpensive in comparison to the other kits, just in case I mess up. Does anyone have any ideas?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Takama

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on June 01, 2013, 01:52:20 AM
I have very little experience with model kits, and I was thinking of building a second one. My main question, though, is what kit to build. I'm loking for something easy to assemble and paint, which is also inexpensive in comparison to the other kits, just in case I mess up. Does anyone have any ideas?

David KRENTZ ANTEdeluvia models could be a start. They are in the double digets. And requier little cleanup

Or you just get a fuanacast model. They are sculpted as one piece.  And the artits has the option of sending it monochrome for painting

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on June 01, 2013, 03:27:33 AM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on June 01, 2013, 01:52:20 AM

David KRENTZ ANTEdeluvia models could be a start. They are in the double digets. And requier little cleanup

Or you just get a fuanacast model. They are sculpted as one piece.  And the artits has the option of sending it monochrome for painting
Not really. Some of the faunacasts are pretty expensive (the sauropods are almost in the $200 range) If one was to start with a faunacast, (which don't require any assembly) then what would be the point? They'd be no opportunity to learn how to assemble.

I would recommend Tamiya kits as an inexpensive first kit. However, being plastic, you would need plastic cement rather than cyanoacrylate glue. Plastic kits have an advantage in that they don't need pinning. Or heck, if you don't care about accuracy or looks, and just want to get some experience in how to build kits, you could pick up an old ugly airfix/revell/lindberg kit which are cheap as chips.

Ray Rimell's book, Building and Painting Model Dinosaurs, is really helpful for beginners. Sadly it's out of print, but you can get it on eBay and Amazon. It has some really useful advice.

amargasaurus cazaui

I am unsure what Malcom gets for all his sauropods but I know I was able to acquire the Apatosaurus, sitting on my front porch, painted and quite nicely done for less than a hundred dollars, so two hundred would seem a tad high, course that is shipping within the US. His models are reasonably priced really, for a built and ready to display model especially.
  If you are wanting experience painting, get some old used Carnegies or Safaris and have a ball. If it is the building the model you wanted to learn better, think Tyrannt Queen gave the best idea there , in her suggestions.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 01, 2013, 07:24:08 AM
I am unsure what Malcom gets for all his sauropods but I know I was able to acquire the Apatosaurus, sitting on my front porch, painted and quite nicely done for less than a hundred dollars, so two hundred would seem a tad high, course that is shipping within the US. His models are reasonably priced really, for a built and ready to display model especially.
  If you are wanting experience painting, get some old used Carnegies or Safaris and have a ball. If it is the building the model you wanted to learn better, think Tyrannt Queen gave the best idea there , in her suggestions.
Oh yeah, I was going off the price that a seller had for the Apatosaurus on eBay, so I guess it was overpriced :)

Can I see your Apatosaurus? Just curious to see what it looks like.

Takama

Malcolms sets cost from 25 to 150$  the $150 one is his huge supersaurus.  The $25 is the muranosaurus.     Most of the big theropods are $50 to $60. The most expensive so far is the spinosaurus at $75.     

Pachyrhinosaurus

Thank you for the advice. I think I'll do what Amargasaurus cazaui said and learn to paint models starting with old carnegies (I have some really beat up ones that I want to replace sometime.) I also just now realised that I have two David Krentz Shapeways models and two antedeluvian models I have since forgotten about.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Simon

Before any newcomers get too excited, I think I should mention that Malcolm has put his Faunacast Collection on indefinite hold at the moment.  He is not taking new orders and currently does not have plans to reopen the line.

If that changes, I am sure he will let us all know.

Takama

Quote from: Simon on June 01, 2013, 04:29:49 PM
Before any newcomers get too excited, I think I should mention that Malcolm has put his Faunacast Collection on indefinite hold at the moment.  He is not taking new orders and currently does not have plans to reopen the line.

CRUD >:( :'(

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Simon on June 01, 2013, 04:29:49 PM

Why? Did real life stuff get in the way? (I'm not trying to be nosy, just wondering)

RubyR

It's nice you decided to learn to paint models starting with old Carnegies.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.