You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Requests for Papo 2016: Step 3 Giganotosaurus

Started by anchry6, January 18, 2015, 02:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anchry6

Now, we are at the final stages.
In this topic you can write as you would like to be done the Papo Giganotosaurus.
You can use: scientific descriptions, drawings, sculptures, pictures taken on the internet (legal please) and so on. You can also criticize and improve a choice with an other...
However, the Papo will decide freely how use this material that we will provide at them.
I'm also looking for a paleontologist (possibly) or more paleontologists than write two or three pages maximum (with pictures) to give some advice on how to make a precise Giganotosaurus and on mistakes to avoid.
Thank you all for your interest in this project...
I hope it will be successful!
GOOD DISCUSSION.

:D

suspsy

I'd like it to be nice and spiky like this depiction:

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Meso-Cenozoic

I agree, suspsy, nice-n-spiky! And I've always liked that pic too. It's featured on the back cover of one of my books. It's probably the first really nice depiction of Giga I can remember.

Also, I've always been fond of this Todd Marshall rendering...

He also does a nice herd of these attacking an Argentinosaurus. So we'd be all ready for an Argentino when Papo makes one. ;D

Arul

Make sure that the figure can stand properly forever after....My green running trex cant stand properly anymore after 1 week i open it from the pack

Centrosaur86

Arul

KeU

I particularly like the twin row of spikes on the head. Very nice.

Halichoeres

I second the requests to have it be approximately 1:40 scale and stable (I would be fine with having a base with a peg so it could stand). And I also like the idea of it being spiky, which would go well with some of the existing Papo theropods. Maybe a little more daring with the color palette than Papo has historically done?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

joossa

Just make it and I'm sure a lot of us would be happy. :)
...Also don't make it with a similar paint application as the dilophosaurus.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: joossa on April 16, 2015, 03:17:40 AM
Just make it and I'm sure a lot of us would be happy. :)
...Also don't make it with a similar paint application as the dilophosaurus.
Of course I agree that is better than the actual figures like Archaeopteryx Dilophosaurus or the same brand, prototypes cheat in these two cases and the result was disappointing.

KeU

Really important that it scales well with Tyrannosaurus. Skinnier but longer.

KeU

What are the odds that Papo will just go with the Indominus Rex design for their Giganotosaurus.
The Indominus Rex IS part Giganotosaurus.
Just shorten those arms and a re-color... they should be free from any lawsuits.
Hopefully they will not go down that route though..

stargatedalek

I almost hate to say it, but I like the Papo dinosaurs that are ripped from JP. I hope that they do use the I-rex design (not as much as a JP compy, but eh).

Shonisaurus

I understand that if they make a "giganotosaurus" type "indomimus rex" is anything but a Giganotosaurus or a dinosaur because the indomimus is a creature of fiction, it may be a figure well done, as the rex tyrannosaurus they did in their day a mixture of "tyrannosaurus" film king Kong and Jurassic Park, but it will be an absolute inaccurate recreation of a dinosaur, as we usually get used sometimes Papo, and I say this with love and respect.

From my point of view if we create future fans must create paleontology dinosaur figures within the possibilities and mentality of each dinosaur toy company that last only one, two or five years. They should be figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals from my point of view think that serve at least for several decades, as were the figures of Carnegie at the time.

The toy and Papo companies in this case for me is the best thing on the market should not be abandoned opportunism and "anything goes" as trash television, only by the desire to sell dinosaurs figures of assumptions that do not exist, the success of a film. I do not know if you understand me.

stargatedalek

I do understand what you are saying, and generally speaking I agree, I prefer accuracy. But, I don't mind inaccuracy so long as it doesn't pretend to be accurate. Papo has yet to make a figure with scientific accuracy as a goal, if they are not going to aim for accuracy than I say they should just embrace the inaccuracy. Inaccurate 'dinosaurs' can still be a lot of fun and make for really cool figures. Go big or go home, that's how I see inaccuracy, don't make something "near accurate" (especially not if you are going to claim it's accurate!) since that is what spreads the misconceptions and public misinformation. "Indominus rex" is not going to make children think dinosaurs looked like fictional monsters, but an unfeathered (or improperly feathered) "velociraptor" just might.

Shonisaurus

If what you mean is the velociraptor mainly Carnegie give you absolutely right, it looks more like a hybrid of pheasant-feathered reptile than a dinosaur.

But then Carnegie has made memorable figures as tylosaurus, ichyosaurus, brachiosaurus, diplodocus or even the same carnotaurus and Miragaia.

Although these figures are declassified serve to educate children, and understand that one indomimus although Papo do not exist and that'll fool I'd be the first to buy it for the quality of his figures. But among real giganotosaurus do with anatomical inaccuracies still a indomimus there is an abyss.

I understand that unfortunately and I perceive few exceptions (like the US or Britain to give two examples) than in most countries of the world paleontology is undervalued and is understood to be a minor branch of science because it considered at least in the environment I live in terms of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals as something intended only and exclusively for children and young people at all intended for adult people. At least the dinosaur books publications in the world except in the English language are not aimed at a more adult audience

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.