News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

SHINZEN models

Started by postsaurischian, March 06, 2014, 12:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinoking

T. Rex model size comparison: Just thought I would clear up the question of the actual size of Shinzen's  T. Rex Model. Here are some of my T. Rex models with their  Scale Model size  and length listed (From front to back):
1. Shinzen reclining T.Rex (unbuilt) , Length- 23 inchs ;  Scale Model Size - 1/21
2. Paleocraft T.Rex by Shawn Cooper (unbuilt) , Length- 16 inchs ; Scale Model Size - 1/30
3. Tony McVey Striding T. Rex  ,Length -17.25 inchs ; Scale Model Size - 1/28
4. Sega vinyl Striding T. Rex , Lenght - 20 inchs ; Scale Model Size - 1/25
5. Kaiyodo Dinoland T. Rex (converted to Giganotasaurus) , Lenght 24 inchs ; Scale model Size 1/20  [/img]

postsaurischian

:-\ In this pic it looks definitely bigger than 1:30, but I can't really say. One should see them next to each other.
A pic next to the SEGA Tyrannosaurus would be cool.

dinoking

Here is a pic of me holding the Shinzen model next to the Kaiyodo dinoland 1/20 scale model. The body proportion of the Shinzen model is just slightly smaller:

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's a nice Kaiyodo Giganotosaurus you have there ! :)

dinoking

Thanks, I  must admit that I didn't convert it myself . I bought it on ebay from "Bucketfoot" who specializes in converting Kaiyodo Dinoland models.

Simon

Glad to see my custom Kaiyodo Giganotosaur found a home where he's been appreciated!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 19, 2014, 07:47:17 PM
:-\ In this pic it looks definitely bigger than 1:30, but I can't really say. One should see them next to each other.
A pic next to the SEGA Tyrannosaurus would be cool.
I actually compared the two of them. They're nearly the same length, but the SEGA is just a little longer. Maybe I'll take a photo sometime, if that is what people want :)

dinoking

Just to clarify; the "Sega" T .Rex in my  comparison picture of T. Rex models is NOT one of the 2 Shinzen vinyl models produced by Sega. It is the smaller T.Rex model that was created by another Japanese sculptor "Hirokazu Tokugawa". It actually more closely resembles the Asian Tyran.Battar aka Tarbosaurus because of the narrow proportions of the  models head.

tyrantqueen

I took some photos but it was tricky to photograph because the kit is in pieces. So I apologise if these photos are not up to snuff.

I tried though, so here you go:

postsaurischian

^-^  Finally ... my first Shinzen model - the 1:40 Tyrannosaurus from 2009:

Simon

:o  :o*WINCING*

OUCH!  Shinzen's work can be so ... all over the place ... this kit reminds me of the "Gojirasaurus" from one of the old Godzilla movies;

A few random thoughts:

1.  The head is too small for the body (he seems to like pinheaded TRexes);
2.  Are the hands pronated?  Can't tell;
3.  Wait - are those LIPS??!!? - AAARRGGHHHHHH!!!!
4.  Too fat.  WAYYYY TOO FAT.

Geez.  First Tokugawa, then Shinzen. 

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Simon on May 28, 2014, 06:22:16 PM
:o  :o*WINCING*

OUCH!  Shinzen's work can be so ... all over the place ... this kit reminds me of the "Gojirasaurus" from one of the old Godzilla movies;

A few random thoughts:

1.  The head is too small for the body (he seems to like pinheaded TRexes);
2.  Are the hands pronated?  Can't tell;
3.  Wait - are those LIPS??!!? - AAARRGGHHHHHH!!!!
4.  Too fat.  WAYYYY TOO FAT.

Geez.  First Tokugawa, then Shinzen.
Cannot say for sure on the model but if the artwork on the box is accurate the hands would appear properly oriented.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think he's also trying to say head size may have something to do with the age of the animal. We know Stan has a large head for his body size compared to some other tyrannosaur specimens.

Patrx

Quote from: Simon on May 28, 2014, 06:22:16 PM
Wait - are those LIPS??!!? - AAARRGGHHHHHH!!!!
Lips or lip-like structures have been hypothesized for tyrannosaurs and other theropods for years. Last I checked, there's not really a consensus, but they're certainly plausible. Aesthetically, I kind of like them because hiding the teeth makes for a less monstrous look.

tyrantqueen

The arms look correct to me, although I don't care for the upright posture of the body too much (I prefer theropods to have a horizontal spine). And I think lips on theropods are fine, since we don't have any evidence to suggest otherwise at the moment.

Actually, when I first saw this kit, I thought it was supposed to be a retro model. But I was actually confusing it with another model which he made:

I'd say it's not his best Tyrannosaurus, but it's not terrible :)

Everything_Dinosaur

We have seen worse, it has a certain appeal to it and we like the retro pose.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.