You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Scientist fired from university after discovering shocking dinosaur bones believ

Started by Takama, August 09, 2014, 01:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Balaur

stargatedalek

how would a 4,000 year old dinosaur possibly disprove evolution anyway :P
YECs will come up with anything these days...

Takama

Gwangi

There are a lot of fake news sites like that. Unless it is from a reliable source like a major news network or Nat Geo or Science Daily or something like that it pays to do a Google search on the article. If it is real news you'll find the story on every news outlet. If not you'll only come up with the bogus article and possibly a snopes.com write up on why it is bogus.

tyrantqueen

I don't like the recent slew of BANDit/YEC/anti feather themed topics that have been cropping up lately. They've all been debunked on other websites and such. They also seem to get people riled up and argumentative, which in my opinion goes against the spirit of this forum in the first place. The recent arguments here have left a bad taste in my mouth.

*Goes and sits in the corner with dinosaur toys*

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 09, 2014, 03:26:47 AM
I don't like the recent slew of BANDit/YEC/anti feather themed topics that have been cropping up lately. They've all been debunked on other websites and such. They also seem to get people riled up and argumentative, which in my opinion goes against the spirit of this forum in the first place. The recent arguments here have left a bad taste in my mouth.

First rule of dinosaurs--everyone has an opinion. Second rule--it doesn't matter what their background or qualifications are. See number one.

Which is why I tend to stay out of these things now. It may be interesting to hear of some things.

That said, a little bit of research would demonstrate that it wasn't his finding that got him terminated, it was his misrepresentation of his findings that caused problems.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongods/2014/07/28/mark-armitage-creationism-and-bad-science/

And yeah, natural news isn't actually a news site, it's a propaganda site for various pseudoscience issues.

tyrantqueen

According to the link:

QuoteMark H. Armitage earned a BS in Education from Liberty University

Hmm, seems strangely appropriate >:D

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 09, 2014, 03:26:47 AM

This is not the first time this has happened, it comes in waves it seems. Back before even I was a member there were many heated feather debates between members, many of which are no longer even around. It's a hot button issue for sure and yes, I know I don't always make it better. So while they may in your opinion go against the spirit of the forum, they are something that has always been here. And as long as there are new members who are vocal about their opinions (crack pot or otherwise) I think it will stay this way.

Paleogene Pals

Yeah, I'm always leery of these websites. I always get my info from a reliable source like the Weekly World News. Anyway, this reminds me of a story that the American Geosciences Institute recently linked to. It was about the finding of 35 million year old blood and how it disproved an ancient Earth or something. Turns out it was a crank YEC website that misrepresented actual scientific findings, shocker. AGI had to issue an apology later. I wonder what Bat Boy is up to these days?

stoneage

It would appear that he has aged the triceratop and other dinosaurs to between 22,000 to 39,000 year.  http://newgeology.us/presentation48.html

EmperorDinobot

I was wondering about this myself, stank of untruthfulness and hidden agendas.

Dinoguy2

The thing is, soft tissue in dino bone has been known for a long time now and nobody thinks it's a problem for evolution. It just means we didn't fully understand how the fossilization process works.

This guy has been publishing papers on soft tissue which are completely scientific and do not even hint at YEC. Yet apparently he has been going around to creationists or even his students claiming that his own work is anti-evolution. That makes him very dishonest at least and I'm no surprised if the university considered it sketchy or even fraudulent.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Manatee

Even if that site is all fake news, this story is true. Search for it in the news section of Google, it's everywhere.

stargatedalek

the story of him getting fired maybe, but not this 4,000 year old dinosaur shiz

Paleogene Pals

I would be fired too if I misrepresented facts and knowingly spread falsehoods. In fact, I think the University of Iowa would strip me of my doctorate.  Like it has been said on this thread, soft tissue preservation, including "blood"-actually proteins, does not disprove deep time. It just means that we don't fully understand the process of fossilization.

Manatee

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 09, 2014, 12:11:49 PM
the story of him getting fired maybe, but not this 4,000 year old dinosaur shiz
Very true. I agree with both you and Paleogene Pals, who has a good point. Soft-tissue preservation has been popping up more and more, and shows that we have simply never fully known what fossilization was capable of preserving.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.