News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Damaged dinosaur toys in stores

Started by TJ_Terrorsaur, March 02, 2015, 06:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

laticauda

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 07, 2015, 09:13:42 AM
I think we all do that.

Yup I do it too! :D I organize the Schleich display at my local Walmart(s) and Toys-R-Us.
So far though (knock on wood) I've never seen a broken Schleich at my local stores. I mean I've seen a toddler shove a T-Rex's snout into his mouth but never a broken figure. Paint scuffs are a given though since these figures are in the toy isles/stores but paint scuffs don't usually bother me unless the figures are missing an extreme amount of paint.

DinoLord

I've seen broken Papos at Hobby Lobby as well - makes you wonder how loosely some people parent their kids...

Overall the figures I see in shops are in quite good condition. At most they'll have a few paint scuffs from being crowded on the shelves. I've noticed the Wild Safari Gryposaurus is particularly susceptible to this, which is a pity because it is a great sculpt.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: DinoLord on March 07, 2015, 11:35:00 PM
I've seen broken Papos at Hobby Lobby as well - makes you wonder how loosely some people parent their kids...

Overall the figures I see in shops are in quite good condition. At most they'll have a few paint scuffs from being crowded on the shelves. I've noticed the Wild Safari Gryposaurus is particularly susceptible to this, which is a pity because it is a great sculpt.

I was wondering if in a BIG shipment of Paposaurus' could some be shipped and and arrive all banged up, say like tips off of tails/horns? I'm sure that's how some scuffs happen. I know the broken leg didn't come from shipping though. I really think someone would have had to stomp on it or throw the figure like Thor throws his hammer. :-\

There was a local store that wouldn't let kids go into the toy isles unless they had a parent/guardian with them mainly because a lot of their toys would end up getting broken or stolen. That was when I was young though. They don't enforce that rule anymore from what I can tell, but at the same time they don't carry as much of a variety in their stuff anymore.

The only store that sell the Safari stuff now is another art store I love, Micheal's. Though their dino selection is null. They just have the featherless velociraptor, the triceratops, stegosaurus, and the brightly colored T-Rex, Spino, and bright green & dark green Brachiosaurus. For such a small handful of choices they're usually all in pretty good condition even with little ones playing with them. Most of the more expensive ones are on higher shelves, so that's nice. :) I just wished they carried more.

spinosaurus1

interesting story. I was trolling along in hobby lobby looking for technical pens. I always check out what they have in the diorama section to check if they have new figures of not. I came across one of popo's dinosaur figures. one was his standing spinosaurus, the other the jp tyrannosaurus with the red paint application. I came to notice that one of the spinosaurus toes were missing. I'm not sure if it was shipped like that of damaged by clumsy or under aged costumers but once glancing at the t. rex..... it has to be one of the most terrible painting problems I seen in his figures. there's a bunch of these black dots freckling the figure that I know is not custum to this figure and overall ruined the face. then paint of its left eye was offsetted downward to a rather extreme degree. giving it a very weird, derpy look.

Quen

The Papos at my local Hobby Lobby seem to keep all their body parts attached. But the Safari dragons at Pat Catans frequently lose limbs. I usually end up seeing just the lost limbs, though. I have no idea what happens to the rest of the dragon.

And I'm also in the self-fixer club!

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 04, 2015, 04:25:57 AM
I might ask for 50% off one missing a part like that toe. Turn bad management into an opportunity, what's the worst they can do, say no? and don't waste your time with an employee ask for the manager.

Hello. I can't beleive it, I was at Hobby Lobby and what did I find? A damaged Papo spinosaurus. :o i don't know if it's a hobby lobby thing or a papo thing but this is weird. So I showed it to the manager and he said he'd give it to me for 50% off. Then I showed him how it was labeled velociraptor for 17.99 and he said it was the right price so I got it for $9! Anyways I am excited! On their website it is listed for $36. crazy day  :o :)
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Kayakasaurus

Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

sauroid

lol how can anyone in a store inflict such damage to an item on display?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on March 16, 2015, 11:15:34 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on March 04, 2015, 04:25:57 AM
I might ask for 50% off one missing a part like that toe. Turn bad management into an opportunity, what's the worst they can do, say no? and don't waste your time with an employee ask for the manager.

Hello. I can't beleive it, I was at Hobby Lobby and what did I find? A damaged Papo spinosaurus. :o i don't know if it's a hobby lobby thing or a papo thing but this is weird. So I showed it to the manager and he said he'd give it to me for 50% off. Then I showed him how it was labeled velociraptor for 17.99 and he said it was the right price so I got it for $9! Anyways I am excited! On their website it is listed for $36. crazy day  :o :)

Congrats, now with some wire, your magic sculpt and some paint you can have the fun of restoring it!

TJ_Terrorsaur

I do not know how to fix them so alas I won't be buying them for any percent off, though I wonder if they could be made into interesting dioramas. Like the Spino with the broken leg, perhaps make it look like he's sinking in some mud or something?

Raptoress

Somewhat ashamed to admit that I re-organise the Schleich and Papo shelves at all my local toy shops, haha. It just seems a shame to see all these models messed up. Who would want to buy them when they don't even look well presented on the shelf? If I can't find a model in good condition at my local toy shop, I either don't buy it (no matter how much I want it) or ask if there's any more in the stock room. Condition is very important to me. I just wish there was some way that their condition could be preserved when sold on the shelves.

Brachiosaurus

I saw a deluxe Collecta Velociraptor at the Dinosaur Place in Connecticut last week that was missing its bottom jaw, I gave it to an employee who put it in a bin they have behind the counter for damaged toys

Takama

Quote from: Raptoress on March 23, 2015, 01:22:00 PM
Somewhat ashamed to admit that I re-organise the Schleich and Papo shelves at all my local toy shops, haha. It just seems a shame to see all these models messed up. Who would want to buy them when they don't even look well presented on the shelf? If I can't find a model in good condition at my local toy shop, I either don't buy it (no matter how much I want it) or ask if there's any more in the stock room. Condition is very important to me. I just wish there was some way that their condition could be preserved when sold on the shelves.

Anyone whose ordered online knows that almost all of the major brands models come in poly-bags when shipped from the online shop.   If Stores would leave them in there poly bags, i would buy from them more often

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Takama on March 24, 2015, 05:58:28 PM
Anyone whose ordered online knows that almost all of the major brands models come in poly-bags when shipped from the online shop.   If Stores would leave them in there poly bags, i would buy from them more often

I love those dang poly bags. I love ripping them open once my dinosaurs arrive. As JC says "Lets get him/it out of the packaging". I just love knowing that the figure hasn't been fused with since it left the factory in it's baggie.

Anyhow I had a to go on an art run and in doing so swung by Hobby Lobby (cringes) and when I did upon finding out they didn't carry what I was looking for, I decided to go look at their figure selection. The broken leg (and toed) spinos were still there, only someone had stolen the spino's loose leg. I'm not joking the broken off leg from calf to claw was gone, someone stole a Dino foot! (Not that I'm surprised but like really?)

LophoLeeVT

i used to clean the shelves in stores too.
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.