News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Damaged dinosaur toys in stores

Started by TJ_Terrorsaur, March 02, 2015, 06:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on March 01, 2015, 05:17:05 PM
Sounds like Hobby lobby  :)) :)). Some friends whom I hadnt know very long bought me a K & M Iguanodon. They said they knew I would like it because I was looking at the dinos in hobby lobby. I was actually looking at the Papos  :)). No big deal just funny, anyways here is the creature claiming to be iguanodon. It's pretty ugly.

Yes, yes it was Hobby Lobby. I didn't list the store in fear I might get in trouble for doing so.
Haha the iguanadon is pretty cute, maybe it just the stripes. I'm a sucker for stripes.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 01, 2015, 07:58:22 PM
I can't imagine how someone managed to break its leg. They must have had Arnold Schwarzenegger arms >:D

O_o I didn't think Arnold has a hatred for dinosaurs, just aliens who like to trophy hunt.
All joking aside I've seen MoJo toys with parts missing as well, either people stealing the cubs from the  mothers mouths (They have a cheetah mom carrying a cub by it's scruff) and Papo Rex's with jaws nearly torn off of the toy. I'm wandering if it's parents letting kids roughly play with these items. Or it's shipping or someone punted the spino. I don't know.  :-\

Quote from: Takama on March 01, 2015, 09:25:40 PM
If its hobby lobby, then i rarely Shop for figures there. Make matters worse, the Employees don't give a crap about the condition of there figures.   I was shopping for a Safari Ceratosaurus back when they sold them, And all of the models they had were scuffed to some degree. So i ask if i could special order some fresh ones.  "Whats wrong with the ones we have?" they ask "I want ones that were fresher, not ones that were banged up"  Long story short. Asking them was a waste of time

Yup it was, again I didn't know if I was allowed to say, I didn't want to get into trouble. Yes it's why I can only buy my Papo's online from Amazon (and now from Dan's Dinosaurs). No, no they don't. I had to give an employee a spino missing it's inner toe once and he just laughed it and tossed it into the basket behind him. I told someone who worked their about it and they said and I quote "Oh they'll get it tonight." Then she went around me and my husband without a care in the world. I've seen horses missing ears, cattle missing horns, Mojo mammals missing cubs, tails, feet, antlers, etc. But I've never seen a Papo missing it's leg. It was snapped off at the calf, were this black rod went from the knee to into the hollow calf muscle. I really think some-one would have had to thrown it for it to break like that.

People let their little ones toss the Schleich's around at one of my local Walmarts.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Whilst on an artrun my mom took me by Hobby Lobby and low and behold the spino with the broken leg was still up for sale at full price of $40. The one with the broken toe that I gave to an employee a month ago made it's way back out onto the 'floor' right next to the one with the broken leg. This time I DID have a camera on hand. (My phone has a camera and I've learned how to pull the pictures off of it.)

triceratops83

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

triceratops83

How on earth can they break these figures in such a way, I mean, what do you have to do to break the TOES off?! And Papo figures are glued together at the limbs, jaws and head, so I guess you could break them that way, maybe. But the TOES! It must have been on purpose.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

CityRaptor

Given that I often see Papo, Schleich etc. figures with "battle wounds" ( that is what people tend to call them ) on German Ebay, it seems to be rough play.
Oh no

sauroid

how can they even let damaged goods stay on their shelves and be sold at regular price? they wouldnt be nothing but glorified junk shops.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Patrx

Oddly, the few Papo figures at my local Hobby Lobby are also in a pretty bad state. Missing toes, serious paint damage - it's quite alarming. Is there something about that retail chain in particular that leads to broken Paposaurs on their shelves?

Rathalosaurus

At the stores here in austria, I didn't see any broken Paposaurs.
But I did see some broken Schleichosaurs ( ;D)
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Dinosaurana

Dunno about the rest of you, but I haven't seen a broken one yet in a Hobby Lobby.

Takama

Most of the models at my Hobby lobby are banged up with paint rubs galore.  The only figures i found broken are the Mojo figures, which are made out of a harder material.

Maybe this should be made into a new topic?

Pachyrhinosaurus

Occasionally I see a broken figure, such as cattle missing an ear once in a great while, but this? I have two papo spinosaurus and by the feel of it I would have to use some form of wire cutters to break it like that. I haven't been to a Hobby Lobby but once, since the selection wasn't great, so I never saw anything broken.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Arul

JoeCamaro

There's only one possible explanation...

Doug Watson

First off that is ridiculous that they would put broken stock back on the shelf but I am wondering has anybody here tried to turn this into an opportunity? We don't have Hobby Lobby here but we do have a bookstore like Barns & Noble called Chapters and I have gotten some good deals on books that have visible damage on them. One was The Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs edited by Currie & Padian, they only had one copy left and it had a cracked binding between a couple pages near the front so I took it to the manager and showed them the crack and offered to buy it if they took 20% off. They accepted and I took the book home and repaired it. I have gotten 10% off a few other books that had damage to the dust covers or corner bumps. If I found a Papo with the leg off like that but with all the parts there I would ask for the manager and ask for 30% off take it home and fix it. I might ask for 50% off one missing a part like that toe. Turn bad management into an opportunity, what's the worst they can do, say no? and don't waste your time with an employee ask for the manager.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 04, 2015, 04:25:57 AM
First off that is ridiculous that they would put broken stock back on the shelf but I am wondering has anybody here tried to turn this into an opportunity? We don't have Hobby Lobby here but we do have a bookstore like Barns & Noble called Chapters and I have gotten some good deals on books that have visible damage on them. One was The Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs edited by Currie & Padian, they only had one copy left and it had a cracked binding between a couple pages near the front so I took it to the manager and showed them the crack and offered to buy it if they took 20% off. They accepted and I took the book home and repaired it. I have gotten 10% off a few other books that had damage to the dust covers or corner bumps. If I found a Papo with the leg off like that but with all the parts there I would ask for the manager and ask for 30% off take it home and fix it. I might ask for 50% off one missing a part like that toe. Turn bad management into an opportunity, what's the worst they can do, say no? and don't waste your time with an employee ask for the manager.

I might have to try that. I will try to ask either 20 or 30 for both, not each, but both.

CityRaptor

As far as damage goes, I mainly see rubbed paint in stores, especially on Schleich Dinosaurs, since they are everywhere. Today I saw a croc missing its jaw....
Years ago there was a line of "animatronic" dinosaurs that were prone to have their rubber skin damaged and the cables sticking out.
Oh no

sauroid

Schleich figures in the stores i visit are also on open display and they let kids handle them but there are sales people in attendance to prevent any serious damage to the toys. (there's also a sign in some shops that read "you break it, you pay for it. thank you")
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

laticauda

I am not embaressed to say this, I have actually, while shopping in a couple of different stores, took the time to fix, and line up the dinosaurs on the shelves.  Even though I wasn't going to buy any, it felt such a shame that all the dinosaurs are strewn about in a great big mess, many with scuff marks, I remeber one with a broken arm.  If a grand parent, parent, or kid walked down the aisle and see that mess, why would the even bother want it or buy it.  I feel like it could turn them off from a great product, just because the store doesn't really care about its dinosaur products, but if you check their Frozen mercendise, that section is well taken care off.  I am not interested in the stores bottom line and I am not employee, but I will take a few minutes and fix the shelf, reorganize them, so they are at least presentable. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: