News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Unofficial poll question about new Terra Series from Battat

Started by loru1588, August 26, 2014, 08:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhuchengotyrant

These are some great possible additions to the BMOS and Terra series

BMOS:
-Dicraeosaurus- Easy to research, as there are pics and info about the skeleton everywhere (12 meters)
-Shantungosaurus- awesome and awesome and it has a fairly complete skeleton (15 meters)
-Olorotitan-Will attract anyone and everyone with its crest (10 meters)
-Lanzhousaurus- pretty cool teeth! (9-10 meters)
-Althirhinus- Mongolian Muttaburrasaurus (9-10 meters)
-Yangchuanosaurus- It is well preserved, just take a look at the Hong Kong museum specimen (About 10 meters)
-Torvosaurus-Fairly preserved, missing a leg or something (11 meters)
-Tarbosaurus- If there is a film of dinos in China/Mongolia, this dino is in it (10-11 meters)
-Saurolophus- The only figures are the hard-to-find Favorite and Tyco ones (I'm not sure of the length)
I'll stop now, I don't wanna over-whelm you

Terra/Dan LoRusso Collection
-Metriacanthosaurus- not sure if this is or is not a speculative find (8-9 meters)
-Prosaurolophus- A neglected dinosaur that I would love! (8-9 meters)

More to come!
-Zhuchengotyrant

Daspletodave

Quote from: Sim on December 14, 2014, 09:19:29 PM
Thanks for the info Daspletodave!  Isn't the Battat Stegosaurus a Stegosaurus ungulatus though?  Does it specify what species it is on its belly?

I was on the Wikipedia page for Stegosaurus and... it looks like Stegosaurus ungulatus is considered a valid species again!  (And Stegosaurus longispinus has been reclassified as a new dinosaur - Natronasaurus.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stegosaurus  So maybe now the Battat Stegosaurus doesn't need to have it's species changed?
Hi Sim. Your comment made me take another look.
The belly printing on my Battat Stego clearly shows Stegosaurus Armatus. But the paper hang tag clearly states Stegosaurus Ungulatus! I had never noticed that before. Very curious!
Perhaps Dan LoRusso can shed some light on this odd situation.

Daspletodave

Wikipedia lists four species of Stegosaurus - Stenops, armatus, ungulatus, and sulcatus. They do however mention that armatus and ungulatus may be identical.
Gregory Paul's book (Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs) lists only two valid species - stenops and ungulatus.

So it looks like Battat will have to change the belly printing on this one. Battat may very well have to change the belly printing on ALL of the MOS dinos - to remove "Museum of Science Boston" since they are not connected in any way with the upcoming re-release.

Sim

Thanks for that Daspletodave! :)  In 1:40 scale the Battat Stegosaurus seems closest to Stegosaurus ungulatus in size.

DinoLord

Here is Dan's comment from some months ago on my blog review of the Stegosaurus:

QuoteWhen the original sculpt was done in 1993, I was using pics I had taken at the Yale Museum of their Stego mount which at the time it had 8 spikes. I was also in correspondence with Ken Carpenter and the Dinosaur National Monument about a newly discovered Stegosaurus ( which also appeared to have 8 spikes ) as well as The Origin and Evolution of the Stegosaurs 1993 paper by George Olshevsky. This is what I based my smaller plates on as well. I agree the plates are too thin for a toy. Lesson learned. I didn't want to sculpt the stenops like every other toy company had out at the time. I hope this answers some of the questions about my version of this particular species of Stegosaurus.

I'm pretty sure the Battat figure is meant to represent S. ungulatus.

Sim

It's listed as Stegosaurus ungulatus on Dan LoRusso's website: http://www.dinosaurstudio.com/museum.htm  Interestingly, he also lists the Battat Pachycephalosaurus as "Pachycephalosaurus sp.".

Dinoguy2

Keep in mind that armatus is the first species named, so if it's a synonym of ungulatus, armatus wins and ungulatus goes in the trash.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

triceratops83

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on December 24, 2014, 12:13:05 PM
Keep in mind that armatus is the first species named, so if it's a synonym of ungulatus, armatus wins and ungulatus goes in the trash.

Wonder why Gregory S Paul keeps promoting ungulatus? Maybe the type specimen isn't in great condition?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.