News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Unofficial poll question about new Terra Series from Battat

Started by loru1588, August 26, 2014, 08:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loru1588

Quote from: Georassic on December 12, 2014, 03:02:26 PM
Dan, will the BMOS Stegosaurus ungulates be updated to a presently accepted species? Sorry if this question has already been addressed...I haven't found anything in the threads.
Battat is still looking into the retooling. If, they retool completely I have offered to make whatever major corrections/updates are needed to the old line. The Stegosaurus would have 4 spikes removed and an additional plate added. I may also increase the size of some of the plates also. All speculation now. Nothing solid to work on. Still have to finish the 4 Terra Series ones I am working on.

Georassic

Quote from: loru1588 on December 12, 2014, 05:56:03 PM
Battat is still looking into the retooling. If, they retool completely I have offered to make whatever major corrections/updates are needed to the old line. The Stegosaurus would have 4 spikes removed and an additional plate added. I may also increase the size of some of the plates also. All speculation now. Nothing solid to work on. Still have to finish the 4 Terra Series ones I am working on.
Thanks!

Sim

I'd been wondering about what was going to happen with the retooling, it's good to have an update on that.  I really hope the ones that need it get retooled!

I never had the Battat Stegosaurus.  Looking at pictures of it, it has 17 plates right?  Whenever I've read about the number of plates Stegosaurus had, it's always been specified it had 17.  However I've seen reconstructions of Stegosaurus with a different number of plates, sometimes more than 17 sometimes less.  So maybe it's not known how many plates Stegosaurus had, or different individuals could have had a varying number of plates?

Stegosaurus is an extremely unusual and interesting animal!  It's one of my favourite dinosaurs!  Despite being so popular and well-known, I feel there aren't any great toys of it.  The one I like most is the Favorite series 1 Stegosaurus: http://dinotoyblog.com/2009/12/22/stegosaurus-kinto/  It's very good, but I can't stand how blunt the tail spikes are and how they don't point outwards enough (it's not obvious in the photos on the Dino Toy Blog).  And there are scales under one of its claws.

I admit I've been wishing the Battat Stegosaurus gets the updates it needs and becomes the Stegosaurus figure I've been yearning for!  The two best known species of Stegosaurus are quite different in size - S. armatus grew to 9m long while S. stenops grew to 7m long.  If the Battat Stegosaurus is changed to an accepted species, it might be good to make it the one it would be closer in size to?  It's worth noting the plates of these two species were different too.

loru1588

The latest near complete Stegosaurus mount  (Sarah) is considered an armartus and has 19 plates. Check this out < http://www.paleogallery.com/userfiles/Sarah--Kirby-Image-RIGHT%281%29.jpg > "She" is a sub-adult at 5 meters. My original sculpt is around 7" which could pass for a young adult in 1:40th scale.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've been trying to research both Armartus and Stenops to see which one we could make for the Park here...I want to go with the biggest but I also need a lot of references..that is that part that is proving difficult. There doesn't seem to be a good consensus on much. The number of plates for one thing.

triceratops83

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 13, 2014, 07:51:59 AM
Isn't Armatus bigger at 9 metres and has 19 plates?

So I've read, but there hasn't been much in the way of references to draw from. Stenops seems to be the more popular choice for reconstruction. I need good, up to date skeletals to be as accurate as possible..seeing as I lack any good mounts nearby to study myself. :/

triceratops83

Just stick to Stenops, then. He's the most well known and big enough at what - 6 or 7 metres. Or how about Hesperosaurus mjosi? Seems like that might wind up getting lumped into Stegosaurus anyway. I don't think you can go wrong with Stenops, a classic dino if there ever was one.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 13, 2014, 08:22:49 AM
Just stick to Stenops, then. He's the most well known and big enough at what - 6 or 7 metres. Or how about Hesperosaurus mjosi? Seems like that might wind up getting lumped into Stegosaurus anyway. I don't think you can go wrong with Stenops, a classic dino if there ever was one.
See that's the ticket. After all these obscure species I did for fun, I'm trying to knock out all the popular ones. I did Kentrosaurus at 14' and everyone thinks I have it labeled wrong and/or it's too small..I had to re-write the plaque to explain it's related to Stegosaurus but NOT Stegosaurus itself.. oi

triceratops83

Just do a Greg Paul and lump 'em yourself - do a 9 metre Stenops ;) Most specimens of Stego seem to be subadults anyway. I don't think you'd be far off. If not, 7 metre animals are still pretty damn big.

amargasaurus cazaui

This is why it would be best to just do Psittacosaurus and forget that plated monster !!! ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ :o :-\
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Concavenator

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 13, 2014, 09:08:26 AM
This is why it would be best to just do Psittacosaurus and forget that plated monster !!! ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ :o :-\
You're quite a Psittacosaurus lover,aren't you!?  :o
Poor Stego,don't call him monster.

triceratops83

That just gave me an idea for the Terra series. Udanoceratops is about 5m isn't it?

tyrantqueen

No, more like four. But we only have its skull, so I have a feeling that would be considered too fragmentary for Dan LoRusso to work on.

loru1588

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 13, 2014, 01:28:53 AM
I've been trying to research both Armartus and Stenops to see which one we could make for the Park here...I want to go with the biggest but I also need a lot of references..that is that part that is proving difficult. There doesn't seem to be a good consensus on much. The number of plates for one thing.
Check out the pic I listed above  < http://www.paleogallery.com/userfiles/Sarah--Kirby-Image-RIGHT%281%29.jpg > . It's how Sarah was found in situ.

Concavenator

Quote from: loru1588 on December 12, 2014, 04:24:27 AM
Concavenator & Chasmosaurus are on my short list ( which is far from being short!!) Lambeosaurus and other larger Hadrosaurs would fit into the former MOS Series as again I am restricted to the 5" to 7" guidelines in the Terra Series.
Another positive point towards Concavenator is that pretty much the completion of its skeleton has been found.It shouldn't be a problem.

Sim

Thanks for the info Dan.  You said you'd add 1 plate to the Battat Stegosaurus, but wouldn't that make it 18 plates (I'm going off photos of the Battat Stego)?  Sarah seems to have 19 (altough only 18 plates seem to have been found with "her")?  I wonder if the number of plates changed as a Stegosaurus grew?

Quote from: Concavenator on December 13, 2014, 09:41:25 AM
Hehe, I agree with Concavenator on this!  And Stegosaurus is too cool and interesting to be forgotten about!

By the way, in case anyone didn't know, it's "armatus" not "armartus".

Daspletodave

Quote from: Sim on December 13, 2014, 07:10:49 PM
Thanks for the info Dan.  You said you'd add 1 plate to the Battat Stegosaurus, but wouldn't that make it 18 plates (I'm going off photos of the Battat Stego)?  Sarah seems to have 19 (altough only 18 plates seem to have been found with "her")?  I wonder if the number of plates changed as a Stegosaurus grew?

Quote from: Concavenator on December 13, 2014, 09:41:25 AM
Sim - as the owner of a Battat Stegosaurus Armatus, I can confirm that the model has 17 plates.
Also according to the small print on its belly, it was 25 feet long.

Hehe, I agree with Concavenator on this!  And Stegosaurus is too cool and interesting to be forgotten about!

By the way, in case anyone didn't know, it's "armatus" not "armartus".

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: loru1588 on December 13, 2014, 12:26:42 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 13, 2014, 01:28:53 AM
Check out the pic I listed above  < http://www.paleogallery.com/userfiles/Sarah--Kirby-Image-RIGHT%281%29.jpg > . It's how Sarah was found in situ.

I was looking at that, very interesting!  When making a dino what I do is take a skeletal ( black silhouette with skeleton laid out inside) and scale it for the size of individual that makes the most sense, which is usually on the larger side for me... ( not in the case of our Apatosaurus which is a sub-adult), 1"=1' works well for us for these larger pieces.  I also use the most accurate models I can find for a 3D representation as 2D can be a pain sometimes and not show you everything you need you know?  What I guess I should have said is I'm difficulty finding good, up to date skeletals from different perspectives and a good accurate 3D model. Everything I look at seem different from one drawing or sculpt to the next..so it's hard to form a consensus as to just what this creature should look like.

Sim

Thanks for the info Daspletodave!  Isn't the Battat Stegosaurus a Stegosaurus ungulatus though?  Does it specify what species it is on its belly?

I was on the Wikipedia page for Stegosaurus and... it looks like Stegosaurus ungulatus is considered a valid species again!  (And Stegosaurus longispinus has been reclassified as a new dinosaur - Natronasaurus.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stegosaurus  So maybe now the Battat Stegosaurus doesn't need to have it's species changed?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: