News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Stars art thread

Started by stargatedalek, February 01, 2015, 10:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I figured I'd make this separate from my figurine thread.

These are the first in a series of reconstructions I hope to make into a children's guidebook. I've got three different spinosaurus reconstructions in mind for comparisons sake; forearm walking, knuckle walking, and tripod. So far I've only finished forearm walking. Each is going to look very different aesthetically as well, for now meet the lovechild of a peacock and a rainbow trout ;D
(The inner toe is not visible in some poses since its covered by the other toes.)

Here's some I did for Jurassic World. Just to pass the time nothing big planned for any of these :P

Here's some modern animals. Most of these were just to pass the time but a few were made to use as achievement icons on a site I admin at. In order: Indian myna, birdeating spider, albino raven, coelacanth, eastern painted turtle, fancy guppy (male), and rainbow fish.

These aren't animals, but I figured I'd drop this Higurashi poster I made for a school project last week here too.

Gwangi

These are fantastic, and I like the spider and guppy in particular! What program do you use for these? I feel so old all of a sudden...the days of playing around on MS Paint are long gone.

stargatedalek

Thanks ;D
I use Inkscape, its freeware free and open source and fairly easy to get used to, I highly recommend it.

alexeratops

What I like about these pics is the fact that there is no thin, black lines on the outside of the animal. Makes it look "modern". :D
like a bantha!

stargatedalek

I'm not really sure how I'd describe it.

This isn't the final one, but I thought beluga spinosaurus looked pretty funny/cute so I did it as a bit of an in-joke :P

*edit*
not sure where the strange white outline comes from, it goes away when viewed full size

triceratops83

Some interesting tattoo ideas here.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Gwangi

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 02, 2015, 03:24:34 AM

I agree, I think I'll be looking into this program.

stargatedalek

Tattoo's, I had never thought of that ;D

triceratops83

You could probably sell designs like these to a tattoo magazine or something. Seriously, as soon as I saw that mygalomorph spider I pictured it on the back of my head.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Concavenator

Doug Watson

Very nice, my favourites are the coelacanth and the spider. All this computer art is beyond my comprehension. Stuck in the stone age.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 02, 2015, 01:35:52 AM
Thanks ;D
I use Inkscape, its freeware and fairly easy to get used to, I highly recommend it.
Actually it's not, it's open source. There's a difference between the two ;)

stargatedalek

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 02, 2015, 03:31:39 PM
My bad, I had thought it was both :-X

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 02, 2015, 04:25:17 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 02, 2015, 03:31:39 PM
My bad, I had thought it was both :-X
Just to clarify, Inkscape is free, but it is not freeware. A piece of software cannot be open-source and freeware at the same time, because they contradict each other.  When I say freeware, I'm referring to this:

QuoteFreeware (portmanteau of "free" and "software") is computer software that is available for use at no monetary cost, which may have restrictions such as redistribution prohibited, and for which source code may not be available. Freeware, although itself free of charge, may be intended to benefit its owner, e.g. by encouraging sales of a more capable version. According to the Free Software Foundation (FSF), "freeware" is a loosely defined category and it has no clear accepted definition, although FSF asks that free software (libre; unrestricted and with source code available) should not be called freeware. Examples of closed-source freeware include Adobe Reader and Skype.

Inkscape was originally developed for Unix systems, which are open-source. Basically, open-source is a different kind of freedom (free as in free beer, but also freedom to share and play with the source code however the user sees fit) whereas freeware is just free beer :)

stargatedalek

That's really good to know, thanks again ;D

Dinomike

Quote from: Gwangi on February 02, 2015, 03:35:12 AM
Quote from: triceratops83 on February 02, 2015, 03:24:34 AM

I agree, I think I'll be looking into this program.

Whoa! I love the idea! And I digg you Spino illustrations!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

stargatedalek

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.