You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Scientists create chickens with dinosaur features

Started by sauroid, May 14, 2015, 08:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Tyto_Theropod

Interesting, but it scares me that we not only have the ability to manipulate animals, but we do it. As I have said before, not so much 'Hello, Jurassic Park?' as 'Hello, Resident Evil?'...  :o
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

CityRaptor

Wouldn't that be more about Viruses...although I think that has been done, too.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on May 14, 2015, 12:48:47 PM
Interesting, but it scares me that we not only have the ability to manipulate animals, but we do it. As I have said before, not so much 'Hello, Jurassic Park?' as 'Hello, Resident Evil?'...  :o

They kind of gloss over this in the article, but I know the lead author of the study personally and I assure you that none of these things survives to adulthood. Most of them wouldn't even if they weren't, um, sacrificed on purpose.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

I am reminded of the time they tried to genetically alter chickens to have four legs so they could have more dark meat. They were successful, problem was no one could catch them.

I know it's an old one but I couldn't help it ;D

Pachyrhinosaurus

I've always wondered, that since these scientists are manipulating chickens to have these features, why aren't there any photos of living, adult animals. I am not doubting their existence, but rather wondering why they aren't shown alive. Interesting study, though.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 14, 2015, 09:19:04 PM
I've always wondered, that since these scientists are manipulating chickens to have these features, why aren't there any photos of living, adult animals. I am not doubting their existence, but rather wondering why they aren't shown alive. Interesting study, though.

It's an ethics issue. They destroy the animal when they're done with it. There are pictures of the skull though, side-by-side with a normal chicken and an alligator to illustrate what they've done. But the study is not to raise the animal, only to see if they can actually do what they're trying to do. It would probably die anyway, or have a poor quality of life. Even if they give a chicken a snout, it wouldn't know what to do with it. It's brain is still wired to peck at food with a beak.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on May 14, 2015, 09:29:17 PM

It's an ethics issue. They destroy the animal when they're done with it. There are pictures of the skull though, side-by-side with a normal chicken and an alligator to illustrate what they've done. But the study is not to raise the animal, only to see if they can actually do what they're trying to do. It would probably die anyway, or have a poor quality of life. Even if they give a chicken a snout, it wouldn't know what to do with it. It's brain is still wired to peck at food with a beak.

Yup, and many of them die before hatching. Playing with the genes this way can break the other networks that they're involved in and result in incorrect formation of other parts of the anatomy.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Dinomike

Didn't they also manage to produce teeth on chicken by activating a certain gene? I remember watching a documentary recently.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

stargatedalek

Quote from: Dinomike on May 14, 2015, 10:16:15 PM
Didn't they also manage to produce teeth on chicken by activating a certain gene? I remember watching a documentary recently.
They have indeed and I believe this was done some time ago (assuming I recall correctly), and with somewhat less invasive manipulation (again, IIRC).

Quote from: Doug Watson on May 14, 2015, 03:12:54 PM
I am reminded of the time they tried to genetically alter chickens to have four legs so they could have more dark meat. They were successful, problem was no one could catch them.

I know it's an old one but I couldn't help it ;D
An old one but a good one nonetheless! ;)

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 14, 2015, 09:36:25 PM

Yup, and many of them die before hatching. Playing with the genes this way can break the other networks that they're involved in and result in incorrect formation of other parts of the anatomy.

Many animal rights people would disagree (and indeed would disagree with the whole thing), but I agree that it is quite right to humanely destroy the embryos. Still, I think that from many points of view it was a worthwhile endeavour, because it's improving our understanding of how genes work - which in turn could go on to cure debilitating diseases or ease world food problems. BUT: I'm still uneasy at the extent to which humanity has become able to manipulate nature, because it could be used in very bad ways (designer pets, super soldiers, biological weapons...), and that's a scary thought. On the whole, though, I'm very interested in this kind of work, and I don't doubt that these people had a responsible attitude to what they were undertaking.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Halichoeres

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on May 14, 2015, 11:36:18 PM

Many animal rights people would disagree (and indeed would disagree with the whole thing), but I agree that it is quite right to humanely destroy the embryos. Still, I think that from many points of view it was a worthwhile endeavour, because it's improving our understanding of how genes work - which in turn could go on to cure debilitating diseases or ease world food problems. BUT: I'm still uneasy at the extent to which humanity has become able to manipulate nature, because it could be used in very bad ways (designer pets, super soldiers, biological weapons...), and that's a scary thought. On the whole, though, I'm very interested in this kind of work, and I don't doubt that these people had a responsible attitude to what they were undertaking.

For sure. The potential tactical applications are soooo far from their minds. It's more like, "LOOK HOW AWESOME YOU GUYS."

tanystropheus

It's brain is still wired to peck at food with a beak.

I think it will adapt to circumstances..  :)

stargatedalek

Chickens have shown themselves very capable of adapting to artificially added tails, so its possible they could manage it. I imagine it would still be a tough transition for those first few generations before the snout worked itself just right, perhaps it would be better to start with toothed bills than no bills. ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 17, 2015, 04:17:35 PM
It's brain is still wired to peck at food with a beak.

I think it will adapt to circumstances..  :)

Maybe, or maybe it would slowly starve to death. Who can say?

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 17, 2015, 04:46:12 PM
Chickens have shown themselves very capable of adapting to artificially added tails, so its possible they could manage it. I imagine it would still be a tough transition for those first few generations before the snout worked itself just right, perhaps it would be better to start with toothed bills than no bills. ;)

True, but the snout in the pictures did look almost malformed, at least to me.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.