News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How to clean figures

Started by Hermes888, August 01, 2015, 08:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hermes888

I'm moving and transferring my collection over to a new set of shelves. Some of them have gotten very dusty, and I was wondering how to clean them up.
What's the best method of cleaning plastic and vinyl figures?

joossa

I use paper towels with ammonia-free window cleaner. The cleaner works well and helps the dust stick to the paper towels. Armored, plated, and spiked dinos are challenging to clean since you have to fold the towel to get it into the nooks and crannies. ;)

Moving them off the shelf in a large group is fun too. This was a part of my dusting adventure last weekend. I started with the carnivore shelves first.

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Quen

I usually dry-dust my figures or use a wet cloth/paper towel. But when they look really dusty, I give them a bath with soap and water in the sink. I don't bathe figures that aren't meant to be toys or would get full of water, like Kaiyodo figures.

Arul

Usually i clean my figure in the sink, Put it under the flowing water and clean it with very soft sponge. Let it dry between 3 minutes and use tissue to make it completely dry

Invicta Hunter

Pressurised air cans are a pretty good way to take the dust off plus it will never damage your figures and their cheap to buy.

amargasaurus cazaui

The simple cheat for this is using the plastic tub style towelettes that are made by Clorox and come wet and dispensable within the bottle type holder...cheap, fast and works well.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

I like to use baby wipes.

They're 98% pure water, so fine to use on plastic. For really heavy dust/lint, I will use a portable vaccuum then clean them with the wipes.

sauroid

must be terribly tedious to clean/dust off your displayed figures if you have thousands... :-\
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: sauroid on August 02, 2015, 12:20:45 PM
must be terribly tedious to clean/dust off your displayed figures if you have thousands... :-\
Not necessarily. Cleaning and dusting can be soothing/relaxing to some people :)

But if you had thousands, it'd probably be better to put them in a glass case.

Halichoeres

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 02, 2015, 02:28:50 PM
Quote from: sauroid on August 02, 2015, 12:20:45 PM
Not necessarily. Cleaning and dusting can be soothing/relaxing to some people :)

But if you had thousands, it'd probably be better to put them in a glass case.

My collection isn't even old enough to be dusty yet, but I agree, I think I'll rather enjoy dusting it when the time comes. (Though I definitely don't have thousands.)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Pachyrhinosaurus

To clean mine I soak them in warm water and if the dust does not come off easily I use a paper towel though that will probably change to a baby wipe (Thanks, TQ!) now. Is there a particular level in a room where dust accumulates faster? I keep the figures I have out on a high shelf near the ceiling and they seem more dusty than the ones lower down, but then I rarely touch the ones up high.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on August 02, 2015, 04:01:19 PM
To clean mine I soak them in warm water and if the dust does not come off easily I use a paper towel though that will probably change to a baby wipe (Thanks, TQ!) now. Is there a particular level in a room where dust accumulates faster? I keep the figures I have out on a high shelf near the ceiling and they seem more dusty than the ones lower down, but then I rarely touch the ones up high.
Never use anything entirely dry to remove dust or fine settling on any surface you wish to preserve. It leaves fine grain scratches as you drag the grains across the surface. This is why I suspect that both myself and TQ have taken to using a moisturized type of wipe to remove the dust. When I clean the spheres I make, I NEVER use anything dry , it is a cardinal sin
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

Ever see the pictures of Don Glut's dinosaur collections where the dust is so thick you could write in it ? Lol

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 02, 2015, 09:09:50 PM
Never use anything entirely dry to remove dust or fine settling on any surface you wish to preserve. It leaves fine grain scratches as you drag the grains across the surface. This is why I suspect that both myself and TQ have taken to using a moisturized type of wipe to remove the dust. When I clean the spheres I make, I NEVER use anything dry , it is a cardinal sin

What about something like the Swiffer 360 dusters? Those are dry and very fine, and what I've been using for the last several years to dust my collectibles with. I usually don't go more than two months without dusting, and there's usually not much dust at all. It's work, but the routine maintenance makes it so that it never gets very bad.

tyrantqueen

QuoteTo clean mine I soak them in warm water and if the dust does not come off easily I use a paper towel though that will probably change to a baby wipe (Thanks, TQ!)
Just don't flush them down the toilet, put them in the bin. Flushing them will clog your plumbing :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ81Xpe9rvA

Don't watch this if you're eating your lunch though...hurrghhh.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Victoria B on August 02, 2015, 09:20:36 PM

What about something like the Swiffer 360 dusters? Those are dry and very fine, and what I've been using for the last several years to dust my collectibles with. I usually don't go more than two months without dusting, and there's usually not much dust at all. It's work, but the routine maintenance makes it so that it never gets very bad.
Anything that does not use moisture to grab and hold the dust particles allows it to move about, sliding around and depending what the dust is made of....and hardness, you are in fact creating fine scratches.Just not the best method, for anything collectible of any kind. Consider why they make sprays like Pledge...to grab the dust and hold in in place on the dusting surface. Aside from that , as you use the same surface over and it gets imbedded with particles and acts similar to sandpaper...creating, yes more scratches. You want a soft, moist and disposable method....TQ and her method are good, as are the wipes I use .

Pachyrhinosaurus

I should have said damp paper towel  ;).

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 02, 2015, 11:19:11 PM
QuoteTo clean mine I soak them in warm water and if the dust does not come off easily I use a paper towel though that will probably change to a baby wipe (Thanks, TQ!)
Just don't flush them down the toilet, put them in the bin. Flushing them will clog your plumbing :D
Yeah, it's annoying that they advertise as 'flushable' when clearly^ they are not.

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

sauroid

is there a possibility that accumulated dust on figures would be embedded in time? also, i have to point out, that you wont entirely be able to clean a figure without soaking it in soapy water.
i dread the thought of dusting my collection that 's why i just put most of them in storage (inside resealable bags within plastic bins). of course the downside is i dont get to enjoy the sight of them, and i have to rummage through everything to get a particular item.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Pawnosuchus

Thanks for the tips. Since my collection is out in the garage they collect a lot of dust and cobwebs.  I usually dust a few every day but it's a never ending job. I'm going to try the baby wipes. Seems like a great idea.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Pawnosuchus on August 03, 2015, 02:01:46 PM
Thanks for the tips. Since my collection is out in the garage they collect a lot of dust and cobwebs.  I usually dust a few every day but it's a never ending job. I'm going to try the baby wipes. Seems like a great idea.

I like (tyrantqueen mentioned)to use baby wipes, now I swear by them. They don't have a scent and they don't make my hands breakout. If my dinos are really dusty I usually run them under some cold water and then pat them dry with a towel, or use a swiffer duster.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: