News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Flat Finish your models?

Started by Takama, October 05, 2015, 04:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Ok Before his Tragic Passing, Dan LoRusso Said that he would remove the new Battat models he got  from there Boxes, and spray them with a flat finish to kill the shine and Protect the paint.

My Comment was

Quote"A way to Protect my models from paint rubs? Why did i not discover this sooner?"

Do any of you do this to your models?   I think this is something Rebor should do for there Products do to there High Prices, and Warpage issues

Kayakasaurus

I spray a flat finish to my repaints and original work. The clear coat can bring out the color (like a wet rock) and it seals the paint, giving it some protection. This is also used in prop making etc. just one flat coat will add a little sheen if the model was flat to begin with, but I haven't tried it on something glossy like the battat. You may have to experiment with multiple coats, but if Dan said it works I would do it.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

joossa

I build and paint Gundam models. I use Tamiya Lacquer Spray Paint TS-80 Flat Clear as a final matte finish. I know lacquer paints can dissolve and mess with acrylics and enamels, so I have never tried applying it on dino models. There's also a glossy finish spray too.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Dobber

Yup, standard operating procedure for me as well on all of my models. Always clear coat, wether it will be a flat, gloss, ect.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

tyrantqueen

I don't apply varnish to factory painted models because I feel it's not necessary. Most dinosaur toys are painted with PVC paints, which forms a chemical bond with plastic. This is generally stronger than varnish.

I will varnish my customised models though. I prefer polyurethane based brush on varnish, rather than a spray. It's less toxic, I have more control and I can work indoors. I like to use artists brands of varnish, preferably one with UV protection. Hobby varnishes are also worth a look.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.