News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A New Tyrannosaur Revealed!

Started by suspsy, March 14, 2016, 11:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Neat find; thanks for sharing. It's great to see new discoveries from previously unexplored (in a paleontological sense) parts of the world. If well-sampled formations like Hell Creek continue to produce exciting new finds, one can only imagine what lies in store in fresh territories...

P.S. It's great to see that Todd Marshall is still producing new works; I had feared he had retired. He's always been one of my favorite paleoartists, and it's nice to see him do some feathered depictions.

Takama

Is it said if this is an Adult species and not another Nanotyrannus issue in the making?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Takama on March 15, 2016, 12:51:08 AM
Is it said if this is an Adult species and not another Nanotyrannus issue in the making?
If I'm not mistaken, the paper isn't out yet, so I don't know about the bone sutures and so on, but given the age of the formation, it's really about the size we'd expect a tyrannosaur to have been. This is like 25 million years before Hell Creek.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

So for those of us who lack specialization in theropods in general...what is the proper term or way to state the sentence......a new tyrannosaurus found, new Tyrannosaur found , or new Tyrannosaurid.......wouldnt the last version be most accurate or in what case do you use which....?Oh and heres a present for whoever answers my question !!

https://app.box.com/s/45kxw3f400q9vrnuxocf1zc0bsib8y3l

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4a3sne116y5awqc/Tyrannosaurids+%28Dinosauria%29+of+Asia+and+North+America.pdf
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Halichoeres

I guess the most precise way to say it would be "tyrannosauroid." I don't think "tyrannosaur" has an explicit cladistic definition, so in my own opinion it's fine for colloquial use  (others' mileage may vary).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

amargasaurus cazaui

So would you also say psittacosauroid, or psittacosaurid?

Enjoy the paper by the way
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

Timurlengia is a tyrannosauroid like Yutyrannus and Dilong as opposed to a tyrannosaurid like T. rex and Tarbosaurus, but they all make up the tyrannosaur family.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Patrx

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 15, 2016, 01:49:24 PM

I think in that case, Psittacosauridae is within Ceratopsia directly, so all species of Psittacosaurus are ceratopsian psittacosaurids. Or perhaps psittacosaurid ceratopsians.

ChubbyTaco

Hello friends!A new study about how tyrannosaurs got big have been posted in everything dinosaur blog.Here is the link of it :-
http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2016/03/15/fossil-study-suggests-how-tyrannosaurs-got-big.html

Here is a illustration of timurlengia by Todd Marshall

Halichoeres

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 15, 2016, 01:49:24 PM

Enjoy the paper by the way
It depends on how inclusive you want to be. "Psittacosaurid" refers to any member of the family Psittacosauridae, but at least some people recognize a more-inclusive superfamily known as Psittacosauroidea, so "psittacosauroid" would refer to anything in that superfamily, including the psittacosaurids. I don't really know a ton about that part of the tree, so I can't say what taxa would be psittacosauroids but not psittacosaurids. I'm just applying standard conventions.

And thanks for the paper :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.