News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Heterodontosaurus

Started by Hynerpeton, June 20, 2014, 08:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorDinobot

Heterodontosaurus needs to be made ASAP.

Mhmm.

Megalosaurus

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

SBell

Quote from: Megalosaurus on June 25, 2014, 01:27:31 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on June 21, 2014, 09:00:21 PM
If it is a Camptosaurus it's better than the CollectA one.

I like its pose.

Acording to this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZVG3IW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=theplesdire-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005ZVG3IW
it is a Camptosaurus.

It's not exactly an accurate set overall, so it might be. It just looked like a Heterodontosaurus to my eye, up close.

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: SBell on June 25, 2014, 01:50:52 AM
[...]
It's not exactly an accurate set overall, so it might be. It just looked like a Heterodontosaurus to my eye, up close.
I think that if a Chinasaur says it is X species, but looks like Y species, then is valid to take it like Y. Its similar to name Giraffititan the papo Brachiosaurus.

Quote from: predino on June 25, 2014, 02:23:48 AM
Its unavailable :(

Yes, but you can buy all that dinos from EverythingDinosaur. In fact I bought 2 placerias & 1 camptosaurus from they in my last order.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Hynerpeton

I know mega. Going to buy from ED during my next order anyhow. Even if its not right away. ;) hoping before September.
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Takama

heres a Resin miniature that I got at the State Fair

DC

Heterodontosaurus needs to have fangs the inpro figure doesn't have them but the Imperial recast was very rubbery so you could snip off the end of some metal pins and inert into the upper jaw paint white.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Georassic

Quote from: SBell on June 25, 2014, 01:50:52 AM
Quote from: Megalosaurus on June 25, 2014, 01:27:31 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on June 21, 2014, 09:00:21 PM
If it is a Camptosaurus it's better than the CollectA one.

I like its pose.

Acording to this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZVG3IW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=theplesdire-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005ZVG3IW
it is a Camptosaurus.

Regarding Heterodontosaurus, I realize this is an old post, but I recently got this set for the Placerias. Worth noting, my set is a 7-piece set that also includes a stegosaur, but none of the packaging identifies any of them by name.  Check it out here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=181.20
Given the recent review on the blog, I took another look at the "camptosaurus." I agree with SBell, it looks more like Heterodontosaurus, based on the skull here: http://theworldofanimals.proboards.com/thread/275/heterodontosaurus-tucki
I'm a layman when it comes to paleo-knowledge, but aside from missing fangs/tusks behind the beak, the skull looks to me much closer to Heterodonto- than Campto-.
Also, while the hands are pretty generic, they do have five fingers, like Heterodonto-, rather than four plus a "protospike" thumb like Campto-.
It measures about 6.2 inches snout to tail tip, making it about a 1:8 or 1:10 scale Heterodontosaurus.

Sim

Scott Hartman's Camptosaurus skeletal for comparison: http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/art/The-Camptosaurus-sing-this-song-doo-da-doo-da-581215287

The figure looks more like Camptosaurus than Heterodontosaurus to me, in particular due to the body proportions (the figure's body is deeper like Campto's not shallower like Hetero's, and the shape of the figure's spine resembles that of Campto's), and the hand anatomy (I'm not sure Campto has a "protospike thumb", and the figure's fingers look similar in length, closer to Campto's fingers than Hetero's fingers which have a great variety in length).

Georassic

Quote from: Sim on January 16, 2017, 08:42:35 PM
Scott Hartman's Camptosaurus skeletal for comparison: http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/art/The-Camptosaurus-sing-this-song-doo-da-doo-da-581215287

The figure looks more like Camptosaurus than Heterodontosaurus to me, in particular due to the body proportions (the figure's body is deeper like Campto's not shallower like Hetero's, and the shape of the figure's spine resembles that of Campto's), and the hand anatomy (I'm not sure Campto has a "protospike thumb", and the figure's fingers look similar in length, closer to Campto's fingers than Hetero's fingers which have a great variety in length).
I absolutely agree with you on body proportions. Although, when you compare Scott's skeleton's skull to Heterodonto's skull, I think the figure's head is much closer to the latter. Regarding "protospikes," I made up that term... In some quick research trying to put a name to this figure, I read that Campto had a conical "thumb," closer to iguanodonts than hadrosaurs. So I was looking for something similar on this figure, as is visible on CollectA's Campto. An admitted reach on my part, in search of a distinction one way or the other. But again, I emphasize my self-identification as a paleo-layman. Most of what I know I've learned from you good folks.  ;D

Either way, I have one available... PM if anyone's hunting either genus.  ;)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.