News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Yow Brands: Yowie's ugly little stepbrother

Started by Halichoeres, November 18, 2017, 09:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

I don't know about you, but I've been hoping Yowie would make some new prehistoric creatures ever since they relaunched the line with improved sculpting. This...is not that.

Check out this logo:

And compare to Yowie:

"Yow Brands" is evidently based in Hong Kong and copyrighted their name in 2016. Most, if not all, of their actual figures are straight reproductions of Simba figures. Here, for example, is their "Compsognathus":

Which looks identical to the Simba Predators Deinocheirus.

They've repackaged the Predators Suchomimus as a Carcharodontosaurus, the cave bear as an Arctodus, the Kentrosaurus as a Stegosaurus, the Placerias as a Protoceratops, Postosuchus as Kaprosuchus, etc. Just wanted to point these out so that, hopefully, nobody buys these things.

EDIT: Yow Brands is a Yowie subsidiary. Doesn't mean these toys aren't hot garbage, but they don't seem to be unethical in any serious way.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

If all of their products look like that little monstrosity, rest assured, I'm not getting anywhere near these...

Joey

Takama

Well I evedently boght one of these little things, and to make matters worse, they are packaged with Candy.

You might be wondering how i got a hold of one of these, knockoff,s well they were sold in Check out lanes at Wal-Mart. and were cheap to boot.

HEre is there "Dilophosaurus"

And here a fun little fact about the smllest Dinosaur acording to the leaflet that came with it

"Yowza The Smallest Dinosaur Known was the Pterodactyl with a Wingspan of Only 10 inches"

Honestly, since there so cheap, I plan on reviewing these on the blog just to warn people to avoid them at all costs, because the people who poduced these things just do not care.

Halichoeres

So I did a little more research, and it turns out that Yow Brands is in fact a Hong Kong-based subsidiary of Yowie. So in that sense they aren't ripoffs of Yowie, and I apologize for the mistake. However, these molds are definitely either copies of the Simba figures, OR perhaps Yowie bought the molds, since I'm pretty sure Simba isn't using them anymore. Looks like these are intended as cheap impulse buys, which...seems to have worked in this instance. I hope this doesn't indicate that Yowie thinks the only viable prehistoric market it can crack is for hideous little things like this. I'd like to see them revive Lost Kingdoms with the current level of quality seen in their Rescue Series.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Takama

I only find it concerning that they did not get the names of the animals right.

I mean,   Im sure we all know what Dinosaur that really is, and that "fact" on the Leaflet is just cringe worthy.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.