News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Bye bye Dippy

Started by Cloud the Dinosaur King, April 07, 2017, 12:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WarrenJB

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on April 08, 2017, 10:26:27 AM
Wow, this is a seriously childish argument. 'Whats better, a blue whale or a diplodocus?' Seriously?

This seems like a great forum.

Quote from: Neosodon on April 08, 2017, 03:41:17 PMMy only real disagreement with the decision is that blue wales are not extinct. If someone wants to see modern animals they can go to zoo's and aquariums.

To see blue whales?

Halichoeres

Quote from: WarrenJB on April 09, 2017, 01:32:21 AM
Wow, this is a seriously childish argument. 'Whats better, a blue whale or a diplodocus?' Seriously?

Quote from: Neosodon on April 08, 2017, 03:41:17 PMMy only real disagreement with the decision is that blue wales are not extinct. If someone wants to see modern animals they can go to zoo's and aquariums.

To see blue whales?

1. Welcome aboard

2. Your local aquarium doesn't have blue whales? It's hardly worthy of the name, then.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Simon

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 09, 2017, 10:20:03 PM

To see blue whales?

1. Welcome aboard

2. Your local aquarium doesn't have blue whales? It's hardly worthy of the name, then.

Maybe not, but the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta has 4 Whale Sharks (Okinawa's Aquarium has 3):

CrypticPrism

We also have cake!

(I mean, it's chocolate, so, you guys can have it.)
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

WarrenJB

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 09, 2017, 10:20:03 PM
1. Welcome aboard

Hello!

Quote2. Your local aquarium doesn't have blue whales? It's hardly worthy of the name, then.

No whale sharks either. It has a seal hospital though. And dublin bay prawns!

On the original topic, it's a bit sad to see dippy go. I managed to see it a couple of times. Following the comment about freeing up floor space, it was definitely one of the easiest dinosaurs in the museum to see - queues for the dinosaur gallery wind all through the hall, around it. To be honest the thing that annoys me most is the almost dismissive comments by the museum, as if an extinct animal has nothing to say about extinction! But I'm looking forward to the local stop on it's farewell tour, and to see the new bronze cast in the museum grounds.

(And I like a bit of raspberry sponge, meself)

postsaurischian

What a shame :(! No consciousness of tradition! I would have expected the opposite from the British.
Now I also have to find that photo of me from 1981, aged 14 in that glorious hall. Charles and Diana just got married.
That was when I got my first Invictas, which made me a Dinosaur figure collector hero when I got back to Germany :).

CrypticPrism

I like cookie cake.  The only dessert I like is cookies.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Crackington

To be fair though the blue whale does have a long history with the museum. They've had the whale skeleton since the 1890s and the huge model in the mammal hall was the star of the museum in the 1930s, with people queuing round the block to see it. I remember my grandmother showing me it as a child in the early seventies as the main attraction -though I preferred the dinos! This is the reason it was the only non-prehistoric in the Invicta models.

Moodyraptor

Quote from: Crackington on April 12, 2017, 11:34:11 PM
To be fair though the blue whale does have a long history with the museum. They've had the whale skeleton since the 1890s and the huge model in the mammal hall was the star of the museum in the 1930s, with people queuing round the block to see it. I remember my grandmother showing me it as a child in the early seventies as the main attraction -though I preferred the dinos! This is the reason it was the only non-prehistoric in the Invicta models.

This is true, and currently the skeleton is rather over-shadowed by the model, and by the clutter of the mammal hall in general, so it will be good to see it showcased. I just hope it doesn't feel too distant, hung from the ceiling, and so loses its impact.  The thing about Dippy when you go in the hall, is you are immediately towered over by this amazing beast.  I visited the zoological museum in Copenhagen recently and all their whale skeletons are right at eye level, and they look absolutely spectacular. 

ceratopsian

There will also be a special exhibition on whales to accompany the new look to the entrance hall.