News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Bye bye Dippy

Started by Cloud the Dinosaur King, April 07, 2017, 12:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud the Dinosaur King

For those of you who haven't heard, Dippy the Diplodocus is getting replaced by a Blue Whale this summer. We will miss you Dippy :'( http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit/galleries-and-museum-map/hintze-hall.html

Libraraptor

constantly? or only for the purpose of a special exhibition?

ceratopsian

Its removal from the Hintze Hall (the entrance hall) is permanent.  It was removed from display in early January this year.  There is talk that after Dippy (which is, of course, a cast) has been on tour round the UK, a new skeleton will be created and erected somewhere in the grounds of the Natural History Museum, but I don't know what has been decided.  There is information on the Natural History Museum's Facebook page.

CityRaptor

Poor Dippy, getting replaced by the BOOOOO whale. One is an example of gigantism done right, the other of how mammals do it. Given how the whale is depicted as a Flying Seafood Special, I think it would be possible to have both in there.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ceratopsian

I just wonder: the Natural History Museum is always packed and the entrance hall very crowded.  I know the blue whale has been justified in terms of getting the young visitors etc to appreciate the natural world around them, conservation etc.  But I have this niggling suspicion that maybe the museum wanted something to hang from the ceiling rather than stand on the floor, as it will make visitor circulation and crowd control/funnelling easier.  Perhaps I'm just being over suspicious.....

Lanthanotus

Nooooo! :/

To be sure, I like Blue Whales, but every other museum that has anything to do with nature has it's whale skeleton, but that Diplodocus was a one of a kind eye catcher in that immense hall. Just had the opportunity once to see it, so... never more :/

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 07, 2017, 03:47:26 PM

To be sure, I like Blue Whales, but every other museum that has anything to do with nature has it's whale skeleton, but that Diplodocus was a one of a kind eye catcher in that immense hall. Just had the opportunity once to see it, so... never more :/
I've never seen Dippy before. I live in the US and I have never been to another continent, or country for that matter.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on April 07, 2017, 03:52:13 PM
Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 07, 2017, 03:47:26 PM

I've never seen Dippy before. I live in the US and I have never been to another continent, or country for that matter.

It's like 15 years ago, would need to see if I made a photo, but it would be an analogue photo :D

ceratopsian

The NHM produced a little hardback book about the cast a few years ago and it's still in print.  It's called "Dippy: the Tale of a Museum Icon".  See here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dippy-Tale-Museum-Paul-Barrett/dp/0565092596/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491577645&sr=8-1&keywords=dippy+icon

It's very "souvenir" but quite nice to have.

Appalachiosaurus

Eh, it's not really that bad. If you want a Diplodocus there is a much better prepared and presented skeleton in Carnegie, Blue whales are cooler anyway.

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on April 07, 2017, 04:15:29 PM
Eh, it's not really that bad. If you want a Diplodocus there is a much better prepared and presented skeleton in Carnegie, Blue whales are cooler anyway.
Well in that case, TO PENNSYLVANIA!! It's much closer that England anyway. It would probably take me only a few hours to get there.

Pachyrhinosaurus

It's a shame they're replacing an iconic dinosaur with some mammal; dippy is far more impressive than a whale could ever be. Luckily we have the original dippy here in my home state of PA.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on April 07, 2017, 06:40:32 PM
It's a shame they're replacing an iconic dinosaur with some mammal; dippy is far more impressive than a whale could ever be. Luckily we have the original dippy here in my home state of PA.

Please, Dippy is 30ft shorter and 1/4 the weight. Blue whales rule, plus the Whale skeleton is actually real.

stargatedalek

Frankly whales need and deserve a lot more attention, so this is a welcome change.

Patrx

Let's not have one of those "which animal is better" arguments, eh? ;D Not speaking as a moderator, I just think it's a silly pursuit.

Moodyraptor

As a regular visitor to the NHM since childhood, I will miss Dippy - he's been there as long as I've been alive, more or less.  But I am quite excited to see the whale skeleton displayed properly - it's not the greatest display where it is right now (or was, until they removed it to move it...).  I hope it does have impact, because the great thing about Dippy was the impact when you first walk into the museum.   

stargatedalek

I refer to the situation surrounding the blue whale (and indeed most whales), they deserve and need the attention because they are still under threat.

CrypticPrism

Ugh. Sauropods one-upped again by a fat, not even blue, sausage-shaped fish mammmal.

I know whales are endangered and need help, but really? Really?
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

stargatedalek

Quote from: CrypticPrism on April 07, 2017, 10:37:17 PM
Ugh. Sauropods one-upped again by a fat, not even blue, sausage-shaped fish mammmal.

I know whales are endangered and need help, but really? Really?
The only living lineage of marine animals that swim with vertical movement, or a scaley giraffe that doesn't even hold its neck entirely vertical.

That's you. That's what you sound like.

CityRaptor

A member of the group that contains not only the largest animals to ever walk the land but also the most succesfull herbivorous vertebrates. Also a fantastic biomechanical construction and example of gigantism.

The other some sea animal that is an example of how to not archieve gigantism and that is only considered the largest animal due to lots of fat.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: