You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which extinct animals need to be better represented in toy form?

Started by Archosauria, October 18, 2017, 06:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these do you think are poorly represented in toy form and need some more love?

Crocodilians (e.g Deinosuchus, Sarcosuchus, Desmatosuchus)
Ornithomimosaurs (e.g Gallimimus, Pelicanimimus, Deinocheirus)
Pro-sauropods (e.g Plateosaurus, Mussaurus, Unaysaurus)
Azhdarchids (e.g Quetzalcoatlus, Hatzegopteryx)
Obscure Mammals (e.g Thylacosmilus, Platybelodon, Eohippus, Paraceratherium)
"Terror birds" (e.g Gastornis, Phorusrhacos, Kelenken)
Spinosaurids (e.g Suchomimus, Baryonyx, Irritator)
Small Tyrannosaurids (e.g Eotyrannus, Guanlong, Dilong)
Small Pterosaurs (e.g Rhamphorynchus, Dimorphodon, Petinosaurus)
Ichthyosaurs (e.g Shonisaurus, Excalibosaurus, Opthalmosaurus)
Pliosaurs (e.g Kronosaurus, Pliosaurus, Liopleurodon)
Mosasaurs (e.g Mosasaurus, Tylosaurus, Platycarpus)
Pachycephalosaurs (e.g Goyocephale, Pachycephalosaurus, Stegoceras)
Hadrosaurs (e.g Hadrosaurus, Corythosaurus, Lambeosaurus)
Primates (e.g Australopithecus, Gigantopithecus, Dryopithecus)
Cephalopods (e.g Belemnites, Ammonites)
Fish (e.g Dunkleosteus, Stenthacanthus, Certoxyrhina)
Therapsids (e.g Gorgonops, Placerias, Edaphosaurus)
Amphibians (e.g Eryops, Diplocaulus, Beezlebufo)
Giant Arthropods (e.g Jaekolopterus, Arthropleura, Meganeura)
Therizinosaurs (e.g Beipaosaurus, Therizinosaurus, Nothronychus)
Trilobites.

Ravonium

Most of these options can be put into much more broad groups, including 'Paleozoic Life', 'Non Dinosaurian Mesozoic Life' and 'Non Quaternary Cenozoic Life'.

This being said, there are 2 more options I would like to have been put on the list, which are "Other Marine Reptiles (e.g. Nothosaurus, Henodus) and "Cambrian and Pre-Cambrian Life (e.g. Hallucigenia, Dickinsonia, Charnia).

In my opinion, while all of these options are underrepresented, there are certain ones that are more underrepresented than others, and the options I've found to be particularly underrepresented include Crocodilians (especially fully terrestrial crocodilians), Prosauropods, Obscure Mammals, Terror Birds (here I'm also extending this definition to birds like Dromornis and Gastornis, which weren't true terror birds), Small Pterosaurs, Ichthyosaurs, Hadrosaurs, Primates, Fish, Therapsids, Amphibians and Arthropods in general.

bmathison1972

I know this will be an obvious response from me, but yeah more big arthropods. And I mean terrestrial ones; Cambrian critters and sea scorpions have received increased attention in recent years. Time for some Carboniferous and Permian terrestrials!

By the way, is this poll in general, or is it by Paleo-Creatures by Jetoar for what to make next?

Archosauria

It's just a general poll that will probably have no effect on anything whatsoever. I just wanted to see opinions.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Halichoeres

Quote from: Reptilia on October 20, 2017, 09:00:21 PM
Ouch, that Dimorphodon is ugly. What the two theropods are supposed to be? Coelophysis and Velociraptor?

Correct. The Coelophysis isn't too bad, in my opinion. These are basically all based on the models in DK books, which themselves were uneven in quality.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

Quote from: Ciaphus Cain on October 20, 2017, 05:02:27 PM
Wow, that set was also being sold at Costco Canada (at least the one in Burlington, Ontario) about 6 months ago for 25$
Shame we never got them here in NS, most of them aren't half bad, especially placed alongside JP figs.

Bowhead Whale

That is a very good poll. I'm tired of seeing always the same species over and over again in toys stores.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.