You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which extinct animals need to be better represented in toy form?

Started by Archosauria, October 18, 2017, 06:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these do you think are poorly represented in toy form and need some more love?

Crocodilians (e.g Deinosuchus, Sarcosuchus, Desmatosuchus)
Ornithomimosaurs (e.g Gallimimus, Pelicanimimus, Deinocheirus)
Pro-sauropods (e.g Plateosaurus, Mussaurus, Unaysaurus)
Azhdarchids (e.g Quetzalcoatlus, Hatzegopteryx)
Obscure Mammals (e.g Thylacosmilus, Platybelodon, Eohippus, Paraceratherium)
"Terror birds" (e.g Gastornis, Phorusrhacos, Kelenken)
Spinosaurids (e.g Suchomimus, Baryonyx, Irritator)
Small Tyrannosaurids (e.g Eotyrannus, Guanlong, Dilong)
Small Pterosaurs (e.g Rhamphorynchus, Dimorphodon, Petinosaurus)
Ichthyosaurs (e.g Shonisaurus, Excalibosaurus, Opthalmosaurus)
Pliosaurs (e.g Kronosaurus, Pliosaurus, Liopleurodon)
Mosasaurs (e.g Mosasaurus, Tylosaurus, Platycarpus)
Pachycephalosaurs (e.g Goyocephale, Pachycephalosaurus, Stegoceras)
Hadrosaurs (e.g Hadrosaurus, Corythosaurus, Lambeosaurus)
Primates (e.g Australopithecus, Gigantopithecus, Dryopithecus)
Cephalopods (e.g Belemnites, Ammonites)
Fish (e.g Dunkleosteus, Stenthacanthus, Certoxyrhina)
Therapsids (e.g Gorgonops, Placerias, Edaphosaurus)
Amphibians (e.g Eryops, Diplocaulus, Beezlebufo)
Giant Arthropods (e.g Jaekolopterus, Arthropleura, Meganeura)
Therizinosaurs (e.g Beipaosaurus, Therizinosaurus, Nothronychus)
Trilobites.

Archosauria

We all know that some extinct animals don't get very much attention by toy/model manufacturers.
Which do you think need more love?

Feel free to list something that wasn't an option in the poll  ^-^
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

tyrantqueen

Definitely giant arthropods. I just haven't seen that many models of them.

Archosauria

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 18, 2017, 07:56:46 AM
Definitely giant arthropods. I just haven't seen that many models of them.

I don't think I've ever seen any. We definitely need some.

One year I attempted to do a Carboniferous diorama, but I had to use little dollar store bugs in place of actual models of Carboniferous Arthropods.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Faelrin

There could definitely be more Tiktaalik, Ichthyostega, Diplocaulus, and other creatures of that nature made into figures. I think there should be more giant arthropod figures as well, specifically those awesome Carboniferous ones. I also think there should be more Paleozoic and Triassic animals in general. Prehistoric birds and mammals (beyond the typical Pleistocene stock) are pretty neglected when it comes to being made into figures.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Lanthanotus

I'd really like to see more (prehistoric) plants and trees offered by toy makers.

Also, anything from the early Triassic and before with the exception of Dimetrodon - we really got from that than anyone needs (well, maybe if someone approached its suggested mammalian characteristics....)

Shonisaurus

Tyrannosauroids such as the gorgosaurus, daspletosaurus, tarbosaurus, albertosaurus or alioramus are very poorly represented.

On the other hand it should be said that there are many species of dinosaurs too represented examples, mamut primigenius, tyrannosaurus rex, stegosaurus, triceratops, velociraptor, brachiosaurus, apatosaurus, allosaurus, ankylosaurus, styracosaurus, pteranodon, iguanodon, parasaurolophus, elasmosaurus, tylosaurus, liopleurodon among other figures. Companies always make the same species of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals.

I would like to suggest that new species are made here.

Jetoar

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 18, 2017, 03:59:05 PM
Tyrannosauroids such as the gorgosaurus, daspletosaurus, tarbosaurus, albertosaurus or alioramus are very poorly represented.

On the other hand it should be said that there are many species of dinosaurs too represented examples, mamut primigenius, tyrannosaurus rex, stegosaurus, triceratops, velociraptor, brachiosaurus, apatosaurus, allosaurus, ankylosaurus, styracosaurus, pteranodon, iguanodon, parasaurolophus, elasmosaurus, tylosaurus, liopleurodon among other figures. Companies always make the same species of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals.

I will intend to offer some diffrents species  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Jetoar on October 18, 2017, 07:08:52 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 18, 2017, 03:59:05 PM

I will intend to offer some diffrents species  ^-^.

Thank you Jetoar for your words. Your figures stand out for being rare figures in the market of collecting and that is appreciated apart from how well made they are.  :)

Kaprosaurus

Two words. MEGAPIRANHA PARANENSIS. The only known ancestor of piranhas.Soon my BFFs (Best Fish Friends)....you will get one :'(

PumperKrickel

deleted

Halichoeres

I think of the options offered here, the arthropods are the most ignored relative to their diversity. But even worse are ambulacrarians. There is exactly one that I'm aware of (Kaiyodo Pleurocystites), despite a rich fossil record of literally thousands of genera of crinoids, echinoids, and graptolites. I'd also like to see more extinct plants, corals, mollusks, brachiopods, annelids, and of course fishes. Every company could take a year off from tetrapods and produce nothing but these other groups, and still there would be more saurischian genera represented as toys.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 19, 2017, 10:55:49 PM
I think of the options offered here, the arthropods are the most ignored relative to their diversity. But even worse are ambulacrarians. There is exactly one that I'm aware of (Kaiyodo Pleurocystites), despite a rich fossil record of literally thousands of genera of crinoids, echinoids, and graptolites. I'd also like to see more extinct plants, corals, mollusks, brachiopods, annelids, and of course fishes. Every company could take a year off from tetrapods and produce nothing but these other groups, and still there would be more saurischian genera represented as toys.
I never really thought about this, but it is a really good point. Now I want a crinoid figure.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Silvanusaurus

I'm going to throw Rhynchosaurs out there. Ever since I recently discovered that a species was discovered in my own native county of the UK, I've really wanted to get a good figure to represent it, but as far as i know there arent any mass produced examples, unless I am mistaken?

Archosauria

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 20, 2017, 09:45:58 AM
I'm going to throw Rhynchosaurs out there. Ever since I recently discovered that a species was discovered in my own native county of the UK, I've really wanted to get a good figure to represent it, but as far as i know there arent any mass produced examples, unless I am mistaken?

Hey, good call!

This one is a Ryncosaur, correct?
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hzuhvJtq_KE/TzbhpwTOOYI/AAAAAAAAAu4/uWrpox4Nu4E/s576/rynch.jpg

-Steve Miller

Archosauria

Ok, yeah, obviously it's not a very high quality one, that's for sure
  :P

-Steve Miller

Halichoeres

Yeah, I would like a good rhynchosaur too. There's the Dawn of the Dinosaurs one, but it's very difficult to find in addition to being a little crude, and there's this figure from Xidi/Happy Kin(g):

It's identified as a Hyperodapedon on the belly but the design is very clearly based on the Dorling Kindersley Placerias (with an extra helping of badassery).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

deanm

Wow, that set was also being sold at Costco Canada (at least the one in Burlington, Ontario) about 6 months ago for 25$

Halichoeres

Quote from: Ciaphus Cain on October 20, 2017, 05:02:27 PM
Wow, that set was also being sold at Costco Canada (at least the one in Burlington, Ontario) about 6 months ago for 25$

I got it from TaoBao with the help of acro-man. Did you get it for the Dimorphodon?

Reptilia

Ouch, that Dimorphodon is ugly. What the two theropods are supposed to be? Coelophysis and Velociraptor?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: