News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

An arboreal Permian synapsid

Started by Halichoeres, March 21, 2018, 03:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Before squirrels and monkeys and tree shrews, synapsids produced an arboreal pelycosaur-grade animal: Ascendonanus nestleri.

This animal was related to Varanops, and has big hands and feet with long claws, suggesting a tree-climbing habit. It also has clear scales. It's not much, but it is a data point that helps bracket the point where synapsids lost their scales.

Paper (paywall): https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2Fs12542-018-0405-9.pdf
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

That's a beautiful fossil, so well preserved.

Patrx

Wow, that soft-tissue preservation is astonishing!

Faelrin

An incredible fossil. Almost like it's still there (in the flesh). Also even though I saw the title I thought I was looking at a lizard, due to the general body shape.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ImADinosaurRARR

"There's a prehistoric critter that was recently announced called Ascendonanus. Yes, you read that correctly, Ascend-on-anus. How did this happen?"

RJ Palmer
‏@arvalis

FINALLY, THE URANUS OF PREHISTORY!!!

Neosodon

They look kind of lizard like. The article seems to imply convergence but is it at all possible that synapsids are descended from lizards?

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Lanthanotus

Indeed one of the most beautiful fossils I saw and I aswell would have thought to look upon a lizard, after all, the whole body shape aswell as the scale structure makes it look like a recent tree monitor. On a glimpse just the toes are different and sure is the skull.

Unfortunately, the paper is not open access, as usual with springer. I am not sure about the writers of this article, but a hell lot of papers still appear in pay walled journals  while the work behind them was financed by public money..... it's a shame it ever came to this (and heck, that access to a single article is damn expensive, you could get a very decent print book for that money).

Halichoeres

Quote from: ImADinosaurRARR on March 21, 2018, 03:54:57 PM
"There's a prehistoric critter that was recently announced called Ascendonanus. Yes, you read that correctly, Ascend-on-anus. How did this happen?"

RJ Palmer
‏@arvalis

FINALLY, THE URANUS OF PREHISTORY!!!

I read it as "Ascend-onan-us." But never mind.

Quote from: Neosodon on March 21, 2018, 06:29:52 PM
They look kind of lizard like. The article seems to imply convergence but is it at all possible that synapsids are descended from lizards?

It's very unlikely. The earliest amniotes were all quite lizardlike, and so were many of the earliest diapsids and synapsids. Proper lizards are in many respects quite derived but their body plan is plesiomorphic. The arrangement of jaw bones, tooth attachments, etc., do not support a relationship between lizards and this group of synapsids.

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 21, 2018, 07:44:01 PM
Indeed one of the most beautiful fossils I saw and I aswell would have thought to look upon a lizard, after all, the whole body shape aswell as the scale structure makes it look like a recent tree monitor. On a glimpse just the toes are different and sure is the skull.

Unfortunately, the paper is not open access, as usual with springer. I am not sure about the writers of this article, but a hell lot of papers still appear in pay walled journals  while the work behind them was financed by public money..... it's a shame it ever came to this (and heck, that access to a single article is damn expensive, you could get a very decent print book for that money).

My mistake; I must have had automatic access through the college I work at. I've amended the post to reflect that some may find a paywall. I agree that academic publishing is in most respects a gigantic scam.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

EmperorDinobot

Libraraptor

So cool! And it´s from Chemnitz, Germany. Frederik Spindler, palaeontologist and paleoartist is involved in the process of its examination, I think.
Have I read correctly that the fossil is supposed to somehow connect to Pterosaurs?!

CityRaptor

No, it's a Synapsid, therefore no connection to Pterosaurs. Although some of the first google results for it to come up are "Pterosaur Heresies" and "Reptile Evolution", which call it a lepidosaur. Of course both of those sites are junk.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

Smilodon P.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.