You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

I

Trade wars and it's effect on Dino Toys

Started by Ivysaur, July 25, 2018, 09:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizerd

Yeah, its harsh  :-[ although maybe I may be a pessimist, reality is harsh. While somethings have improved, such as conditions, a lot hasn't changed, and in a nutshell corporations will just keep hopping to places where they can get away with stuff. Sorry if this is too dark or offensive, if you want I can shut up  ;)
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Loon

For some reason I misread the title of this thread as "Time wars." Figured I'd share that important economic insight.

Lizerd

The time wars???  That would be a fun thread
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/

Neosodon

Quote from: Lizerd on August 02, 2018, 07:17:10 PM
Yeah, its harsh  :-[ although maybe I may be a pessimist, reality is harsh. While somethings have improved, such as conditions, a lot hasn't changed, and in a nutshell corporations will just keep hopping to places where they can get away with stuff. Sorry if this is too dark or offensive, if you want I can shut up  ;)
I've sympathized with tariffs before because a global market tends to take advantage of cheap labor. But then again if we stop using the labor of poor countries then some people will have no jobs rather than poor ones. So yeah, it's dark. But on the bright side making toy dinosaurs can't be too bad of a job for who ever ends up doing it. Would be my first choice if I ever had too work on a production line.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Ravonium

Quote from: Lizerd on August 02, 2018, 04:18:42 PM
Manufacturing will move to somewhere that they can easily exploit people and get away with it. That means anywhere that has a large population, does not have much respect globally or is not a big actor on the world stage, or has a lot of cheap resources.

Well said. The saddest reflection of all this is that regardless of outcome, neither side will be guilt-less.

If they end up losing out, companies from the US will likely just move their operations to another country where they can get away with what would be considered human rights abuses in the West. As you say, India would likely be a good potential candidate, due to it having better relations with the US than it does with China.

Meanwhile, if China ends up developing into a post-industrial economy like the US has, then they will likely end up exploiting some less fortunate country (and they are already doing this to some African countries, albeit on a smaller scale (as of now) than the US is to them) for cheap labour. 

In the end, the main losers of this war will be those not directly involved in it (although then again, isn't that what all wars are like  ;) )

I do hope though, that this doesn't get to the point where models/toys are targeted by all sides, and that the only effects end up being that it is more expensive to get a new model/toy and/or that manufacturing is moved somewhere else simply due to being disincentivised to stay in China.

Lizerd

Well, luckily for us only nerds or collectors like us are interested in them :D or very small children. As a result the trade is not massive as with some other bulk product such as say tech products, dino toys are more likely to slip under the radar or have only light tariffs on them. So yay for us?

Ravonium

Lizerd

Halichoeres

The Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement from which the United States recently withdrew would have addressed some of the labor consequences of overseas manufacturing by requiring member nations to adopt minimum wage laws, worker safety regulations, and other protections (as well as environmental regulations). For whatever reason, though, the agreement became so unpopular that candidates from both major parties were railing against it. This is just to say that it is possible to create manufacturing jobs in other countries with lower costs of living and labor costs, while meanwhile offering high-cost countries more affordable goods, without being exploitative about it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 03, 2018, 03:16:42 PM
The Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement from which the United States recently withdrew would have addressed some of the labor consequences of overseas manufacturing by requiring member nations to adopt minimum wage laws, worker safety regulations, and other protections (as well as environmental regulations). For whatever reason, though, the agreement became so unpopular that candidates from both major parties were railing against it. This is just to say that it is possible to create manufacturing jobs in other countries with lower costs of living and labor costs, while meanwhile offering high-cost countries more affordable goods, without being exploitative about it.
It also included a number of other, really unfortunate parts. Most notably it would have essentially ended fair-use laws as we know them and given large companies even more control over fan-made works. And that's to say nothing of potential ramifications for commentators etc., who need to be able to reuse promotional clips and similar media in their assessments.

I believe older drafts of the TPP also included repeals of Net Neutrality and similar consumer protection laws, but I may not be remembering correctly.

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 03, 2018, 05:34:10 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 03, 2018, 03:16:42 PM
It also included a number of other, really unfortunate parts. Most notably it would have essentially ended fair-use laws as we know them and given large companies even more control over fan-made works. And that's to say nothing of potential ramifications for commentators etc., who need to be able to reuse promotional clips and similar media in their assessments.

I believe older drafts of the TPP also included repeals of Net Neutrality and similar consumer protection laws, but I may not be remembering correctly.

You are correct--there were many added caveats and line items (including those) that were removed when the US pulled out.

Lizerd

But i'm not an expert, i'm not even in college  :))
Anyways, its okay. We will just adapt.

Halichoeres

My point was just that free trade can lead to human rights abuses and environmental degradation, but it's not inexorable. Regulations and transparency can retain the benefits of free trade while forestalling some of the potential drawbacks.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lizerd

That is true. Also unregulated capitalism led to all sorts of horrors, with number one being industrial farming

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.