News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Are there any "perfect" figures?

Started by PumperKrickel, May 11, 2019, 09:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PumperKrickel

deleted

Ravonium

Of the figures I currently have in my collection, I think the closest ones to being perfect accuracy-wise are the CollectA Gastonia and the Safari Ltd Feathered Velociraptor :)

Shonisaurus

Among the figures that I understand to be perfect without a doubt is the Triceratops of Safari 2018. It is a very realistic herbivorous dinosaur figure.

Gwangi

The PNSO Anchiornis, right down to the color.

Pachyrhinosaurus

It can't get much better than Carnegie for ichthyosaurus.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Shonisaurus

Borealopelta de Collecta is another figure that is very similar to what is believed to be that dinosaur in general all the resin figures of borealopelta.

The Archeopteryx of Safari is a very real figure and the same can be said of the Safari microraptor (obviously I am referring to the latest models), according to the latest discoveries. There is also another good figure in the toy and collecting market that is the safari stegosaurus is quite realistic although I still do not like it in its new (and real appearance) is based on the latest scientific discoveries.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 11, 2019, 04:10:51 PM
Borealopelta de Collecta is another figure that is very similar to what is believed to be that dinosaur in general all the resin figures of borealopelta.

The Archeopteryx of Safari is a very real figure and the same can be said of the Safari microraptor (obviously I am referring to the latest models), according to the latest discoveries. There is also another good figure in the toy and collecting market that is the safari stegosaurus is quite realistic although I still do not like it in its new (and real appearance) is based on the latest scientific discoveries.

I would add that the new Safari and lots of other stegosaurus models are based on the "Sophie" mount. I think we still need a good model based on S. ungulatus and the S. stenops holotype, which look quite different.

http://dinogoss.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-evolving-view-of-stegosaurus.html?m=1
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

stargatedalek

Perfect in terms solely of absolute accuracy? There are a few animals that are certainly viable options for it, but I can't name any figures that have pulled it off. Though there are a handful that don't have an excuse for not being perfect (looking at you Wild Safari Microraptor with no alula).

There are certainly some great figures out there that are accurate to the best of our knowledge, but it's hardly fair to include them given the gaps that exist in our knowledge of the animal itself. The nature of the question being "what models are literally as accurate as they can be" I think it's only fair to judge figures of animals whose appearance we can compare to the extent we can figures of modern animals*.

The PNSO Anchiornis may well be a contender, I don't own one yet to say. Their Sinosauropteryx was very close but the bald face doesn't match the feathering of the fossil.

*Or perhaps more accurately, animals known only from photographs, paintings, or mounts, as things like posture are likely impossible to determine.

Silvanusaurus

I'm just going to throw this out there, but there is one figure that springs to mind...
Spoiler
[close]

But then what do I know of so called "Science"?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on May 12, 2019, 12:14:06 AM
I'm just going to throw this out there, but there is one figure that springs to mind...
Spoiler
[close]

But then what do I know of so called "Science"?

This will be difficult to top, it's true. I think the designer must have had access to a time machine.

Some of the fishes and invertebrates from Kaiyodo are as close to perfect as is possible, especially the ones known from substantial portions of their exoskeleton. Eryon, Triarthrus, Pterygotus, Bothriolepis, Eusthenopteron are all pretty ideal.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Killekor

I think that the only models that we really can define "perfect" are the accurate mammoth figures, like the Eofauna one. Just because we have some really well preserved specimens of this animal (not just skeletons).
About dinosaurs, I think that probably the most accurate figures represent accurate reconstructions of species of which we have complete skeletons (like iguanodon). Because if we don't have a complete skeleton the real dinosaur could be completely different of how we imagined it (just how it happened with the Spinosaurus or Deinocheirus).

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

amargasaurus cazaui

think you would want to determine what animal has left the most easily discernible remains that are easily understood and indicate color, size, soft tissue, cell patterns, articulation and as many other clues as possible...and then evaluate what models most closely simulate that discovery.....if those criteria are followed you would have to consider Doug Watsons psittacosaurus sculpt in the short list of top canidates........
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Shonisaurus

A perfect figure of a hundred percent prehistoric animal would be the woolly mammoth (mammoth primigenius). Their frozen remains have been preserved in the ice. It is one of the very few extinct animals that could be perfectly represented. An example of a good figure is the Carnegie Mammoth. Perhaps Eofauna, for example, would make a mammoth primigenius even better than the mammoth trogontherii and the palaeoloxodon antiquus.

BlueKrono

Like Amarga said, the yellow Psittacosaurus must be it. Isn't that the only dinosaur that we actually know the color of (besides perhaps some birdiforms)?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

amargasaurus cazaui

When the specimen was published it was the only dinosaur known that was non avian that colors were established for...patterning....the specimen was the only dinosaur with actual scale preservation...not just impressions but actual scales. So not only patterning, but scale size, color, shape, placement etc.
Quills....almost entirely articulated within its envelope of preserved integument...if you begin with that level of preservation, the resulting model has a much higher chance to be closer to the physical animal than with other models. Doug did the research and read the papers, before producing this one so in my opinion yes, it would be on a short and deserving list
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tanystropheus

I think Eofauna has the potential to make a few "perfect" figures in the near future, especially if they are mindful of the skeletal restoration.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.