You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Giganotosaurus or Carcharodontosaurus ?

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, February 02, 2020, 04:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which would you rather see a life size sculpture of?

Carcharodontosaurus
9 (37.5%)
Giganotosaurus
15 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hello all! While working on these other sculptures I keep going back and forth over our next big theropod project for the Dinosaur Park.  I had settled on Giganotosaurus but the more up to date reconstructions I see have it looking like just a large Allosaurus, at least in skull design.  Carcharodontosaurus has that more unique pointed snout but I've been hearing it may not have been so compressed in the skull as restored. I like unique for the park. Kids love the big theropods. I figured having the big three, Rex, Spino, and Giga would "complete the set".  So I'm just curious as to your preference and if feel like it, say why.   Thanks.

Takama

Chose the Giganotosaurus. 

Despite being over done in this day in age, it at least is known from some pretty good remains.   I would not want you to make somthing thats fragmentary/ or with limited material.   

Gwangi

My personal preference is for Carcharodontosaurus but Giganotosaurus is more popular and probably the better option.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on February 02, 2020, 05:25:14 PM
Chose the Giganotosaurus. 

Despite being over done in this day in age, it at least is known from some pretty good remains.   I would not want you to make somthing thats fragmentary/ or with limited material.

I appreciate that bud, after the nightmare that is Cryolophosaurus though I think I just have to start biting bullets or content myself with more..traditional, species.

Quote from: Gwangi on February 02, 2020, 06:10:23 PM
My personal preference is for Carcharodontosaurus but Giganotosaurus is more popular and probably the better option.

Popular for me went out with the Big 5 or is it 6 now? lol   Finding good references is an issue, I've found more for Giga despite it being more sparse in remains ( I think ). 

Shonisaurus

It is more spectacular for its giganotosaurus than carchorontosaurus although both are quite large, however carcharodontosaurus is less represented in figure than its homologue giganotosaurus.

Leyster

Carcharodontosaurus skull has been restored too elongated (a common issue with carcharodontosauridae, let's make their skull looong so it will be THE LONGEST SKULL EVERH!!!). Here you can see a good reference of its most likely look, based on its relatives

(https://www.deviantart.com/franoys/art/Carcharodontosaurus-Skulls-multi-view-639124200)
We still have very little of it, the uppermost is the destroyed specimen.

(https://www.deviantart.com/franoys/art/Carcharodontosaurus-saharicus-skeletals-MKlll-639149038)
Giganotosaurus is not complete, but at least we have more material

(https://www.deviantart.com/franoys/art/Giganotosaurus-carolinii-skeletal-diagram-645266194)
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Shonisaurus

Obviously as I see that the best preserved remains are those of giganotosaurus it would be more interesting to make a life-size giganotosaurus. The giganotosaurus is one of the largest best known theropod dinosaurs next to the tyrannosaurus rex, it is a good reason to choose the giganotosaurus instead of the carcharodontosaurus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm not familiar with the artist behind those skeletals, though they look good.

Scott released this one i've been working from for Giga :

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 03, 2020, 04:24:04 PM
I'm not familiar with the artist behind those skeletals, though they look good.

Scott released this one i've been working from for Giga :

I think they're from Franoys
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.