News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What definitive versions *do* you have?

Started by suspsy, February 04, 2020, 07:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

This is a purely subjective topic, but I'm curious to know if you own any toys that are so fantastic in your eyes, you have no intention of ever buying a new version (barring some new discovery about the animal's anatomy). My own list consists of:

-Carnegie Collection Brachiosaurus (2012). I love everything about this toy: the size, the pose, the sculpting, and the colours.
-Carnegie Collection Diplodocus (2008).
-Carnegie Collection and Wild Safari Tylosaurus.
-PNSO and Wild Safari Ankylosaurus. Both truly magnificent.
-PNSO and Wild Safari Stegosaurus. Ditto.
-Wild Safari Velociraptor.
-Wild Safari Pteranodon.
-Wild Safari Coelophysis.
-Wild Safari Mastodon.
-CollectA Deluxe Iguanodon.
-CollectA Deluxe Kronosaurus.
-CollectA Deluxe Styracosaurus. Don't mind the butt fuzz at all.
-CollectA Deluxe Carnotaurus.
-CollectA Deluxe Elasmotherium.
-Eofauna Palaeoloxodon.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but I'll just add them later.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

For me the following are definitive versions in my collection:

Eofauna paleoxodon antiquus
Carnegie Mammoth Primigenius
Collecta iguanodon
Collecta mantellisaurus
Safari regaliceratops
Safari triceratops
Battat edmontonia
Safari Camarasaurus
Eofauna atlasaurus
Eofauna deinotherium
Safari styracosaurus
Collecta styracosaurus
Papo spinosaurus
Rebor stegosaurus armatus (any of the three versions)
PNSO spinosaurus
Schleich dracorex
Collecta dimorphodon
PNSO ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus Safari
PNSO megalodon (large vinyl figure)
Papo megaloceros
PNSO basilosaurus
Collecta borealopelta
Carnegie miragaia
Schleich spinosaurus
Rebor spinosaurus (any of its four versions even if they are not commercialized)
Collecta edaphosaurus
Bullyland arizonasaurus
Favorite neovenator
Schleich baryonyx
Favorite baryonyx
Favorite saurolophus
Favorite redondasaurus
Safari stegosaurus
PNSO stegosaurus
PNSO nemicolopterus
Hyaenodon safari
Bullyland mastodonsaurus
Archeopteryx safari
PNSO microraptor
Collecta megacerops
Collecta elasmotherium
Collecta uintatherium
Safari coelodonta antiquitatis
Papo quetzalcoatlus
Malawisaurus Safari
Safari carnotaurus
Carnegie carnotaurus
Schleich triceratops
Battat triceratops
AAo australovenator
Eofauna giganotosaurus
PNSO amargasaurus
Feathered tyrannosaurus safari
Among the science fiction:
Nanmu Studio indominus
Rebor vastatosaurus (actually called tyrannosaurus rex) the two versions
Nanmu Studio carnotaurus (the two versions of paint)
Nanmu Studio spinosaurus
Rebor velociraptors without feathers
And the list could go on...

I think there are many prehistoric animals that are very well represented in the market and that can be definitive.

Gwangi

Well if it's a ceratopsian by Doug Watson than it's pretty much the definitive version of that genus for me. Triceratops, Nasutoceratops, Regaliceratops, you get the point.

Off the top of my head, here are some others. A lot of Safari stuff here.

Wild Safari Camarasaurus
Carnegie Collection Woolly Mammoth
Wild Safari Velociraptor
Wild Safari Microraptor
Wild Safari Yutyrannus
Wild Safari Coelophysis
Wild Safari Sauropelta
Battat Parasaurolophus
Wild Safari Gryposaurus
Bullyland Pteranodon Geosternbergia
Bullyland Paratypothorax
Carnegie Collection Miragaia
Wild Safari Postosuchus
Wild Safari Prestosuchus
Wild Safari Scutosaurus
PNSO Ankylosaurus
PNSO Anchiornis

And there are others but I'm running out of steam. I don't have them yet but the new Safari Pachycephalosaurus, Edmontosaurus, and Deinonychus will no doubt go down as the definitive versions of those two, and I'll have them soon enough.

suspsy

Good on both of you for mentioning the EoFauna Palaeoloxodon; I can't believe I forgot that one!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

For figures I do own:
Allosaurus: Papo 2008 or Toyway WWD (both retired). One appeals to me in color and pose, and size, despite being slightly outdated, and the other is just because of nostalgia, although I also like the color scheme it sports. Granted the Safari Ltd 2019 and CollectA 2020 are probably the most accurate renditions of this, but I don't find the colorations on those as appealing.
Apatosaurus: Safari Ltd 2010. I think it still holds up pretty well, minus the placement of the nostrils. I also like the colors and size and pose of this one.
Ankylosaurus: Safari Ltd 2018. While it might be a little behind on the most recent armor placement hypothesis, it comes very close, and I like the scale and color scheme. The PNSO one is a close second though I don't have it.
Acheroraptor: Beasts of the Mesozoic 2018 (1/6 scale). Granted it is the only model of this species I'm aware of.
Buitreraptor: Beasts of the Mesozoic 2018 (1/6 scale). Ditto.
Brachiosaurus: Mattel 2019 Jurassic World Dino Rivals/ Legacy Collection. Despite not being accurate to the real animal (which mostly appears to have been based of its relative Giraffatitan), it is easily the most faithful toy out there for the animal in the first Jurassic Park film, and one I've waited years for it. Additionally this is easily one of the biggest dinosaur and sauropod toys out there. Unfortunately no models at this time appeal to me.
Carnotaurus: Safari Ltd 2019. While I think the Carnegie Collection, Battat/Terra, and CollectA ones are nice contenders, I find this one the most appealing, not only because of the lips, but also the color scheme, its scale, and how the legs and feet have been sculpted as well.
Charniodiscus: Safari Ltd 2013 Cambrian Life TOOB (retired).
Citipati: Safari Ltd 2019. While it is the only oviraptorid in my collection currently, it is the only one I've been drawn to getting, other then the Safari Ltd 2018 Anzu figure.
Cladoselache: Safari Ltd 2011 Prehistoric Shark TOOB (retired).
Coelodonta/Woolly Rhino: Safari Ltd 2019. Easily the most accurate rendition of this animal, in not only sculpt, but also the coloration, which was clearly derived from the cave paintings that depicted it in a similar manner.
Cretoxyrhina: Safari Ltd 2011 Prehistoric Shark TOOB (retired).
Dracorex: Safari Ltd 2012. Granted I also quite like the Mattel Jurassic World 2019 Dino Rivals one despite it not being as accurate.
Deinocheirus: Safari Ltd 2017. While I think it is a bit on the small side, of all the up to date options out there, it is the one I find the most appealing, in terms of how the feathers have been sculpted in a shaggy manner, and the coloration as well.
Dromaeosaurus: Beasts of the Mesozoic 2018 (1/6 scale, any version). Easily the most accurate restoration in (action) figure form, and I have two of these; one in both the regular (northern goshawk) and fan's choice (American kestrel) color schemes.
Edestus: Safari Ltd 2011 Prehistoric Shark TOOB (retired).
Gastornis: Safari Ltd 2013 (retired). Despite now being retired, it might be the most accurate out there, other then Colorata's recent figure.
Helicoprion: Safari Ltd 2011 Prehistoric Shark TOOB (retired). Until a more accurate depiction comes along, this will do just fine.
Hybodus: Safari Ltd 2011 Prehistoric Shark TOOB (retired).
Inostrancevia: Safari Ltd 2011 (retired). Despite being retired, this figure holds up pretty well, and is probably the only figure of this genus so far, aside from being one of the relatively few figures of gorgonopsids in general.
Mammut/American Mastodon: Safari Ltd 2019. The most accurate model of this genus made so far, and it is at a pretty impressive size.
Microraptor: Beasts of the Mesozoic 2018 (1/6 scale, from the Forest accessory pack). While this is my only Microraptor figure, this is by far my most favorite one, with PNSO's a close second. The iridescent paint scheme is such a joy to observe in person too.
Mononykus: Beasts of the Mesozoic 2018 (1/6 scale), with Mattel's 2019 Jurassic World Dino Rivals one in second for me. One is more scientifically accurate, and was quite possibly the first figure of this genus, and the second is a nice adaption of the ones in the diorama from Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom.
Naraoia: Safari Ltd 2013 Cambrian Life TOOB (retired).
Orthacanthus: Safari Ltd 2011 Prehistoric Shark TOOB (retired).
Ottoia: Safari Ltd 2013 Cambrian Life TOOB (retired).
Plesiosaurus: Mattel 2019 Jurassic World Dino Rivals (Battle Damage or Savage Strike). If I had to guess the Kaiyodo or Favorite versions are probably most accurate, but I absolutely love the color schemes and articulation on these.
Postosuchus: Safari Ltd 2009, with Mattel's 2020 Jurassic World Primal Attack Savage Strike in close second, despite both having the now outdated quadruped posture, with Toyway's WWD my third pick (because WWD is where I first learned of this animal after all).
Regaliceratops: Safari Ltd 2018, which is possibly tied for me with upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale).
Sanctacaris: Safari Ltd 2013 Cambrian Life TOOB (retired).
Sarcoprion: Safari Ltd 2011 Prehistoric Shark TOOB (retired).
Sauropelta: Safari Ltd 2015. By far the most accurate figure of this genus (not that there's many anyways), and I think it is at a good size too.
Saurornitholestes: Beasts of the Mesozoic 2018 (1/6 scale, fan's choice roadrunner based version). While the roadrunner touch might not be the most accurate thing, this is probably my favorite rendition of this genus so far, and is the only figure of this genus I have in my collection.
Scapanorhynchus: Safari Ltd 2011 Prehistoric Shark TOOB (retired).
Scutosaurus: Safari Ltd 2009 (retired). Not too many options for this species as it (and until Mattel's possible figure is released all are retired as of now), but this is easily the most accurate. The only downside  for me is that it is very small, and unless representing a juvenile is not to scale with contemporary Inostrancevia, that Safari Ltd made in 2011. I guess if Mattel is releasing a Scutosaurus later this year, it will possibly be my second pick for this genus.
Sidneyia: Safari Ltd 2013 Cambrian Life TOOB (retired).
Smilodon: Safari Ltd 2004. Despite the many options out there, this happened to be the only I got around to getting. It still holds up pretty well too, despite its age now.
Spinosaurus: Papo 2019 (limited edition). Despite the plethora of options out there now based on the 2014 reconstruction, this was ultimately the one I went with, despite having a few anatomical issues, but I absolutely adore the color scheme the most on this one, as well as other sculpting detail, and ultimately its size. I guess Safari Ltd's 2019 one would be my second pick as it is one of the most accurate options out there, and plays it safe by having it in a swimming pose. For the now retro and Jurassic Park take on this genus, the Mattel 2018 Legacy Collection one is my favorite.
Stenonychosaurus (or Troodon): Beasts of the Mesozoic (1/6 scale, Mountains accessory pack, although there is another color variation of this sculpt in the Eastern two pack with Buitreraptor that I do not own) I certainly find this the most appealing figure of this genus despite it representing a juvenile and the coloration derived from a snowy owl.
Stethacanthus: Safari Ltd 2011 Prehistoric Shark TOOB (retired).
Styracosaurus: Safari Ltd 2019, or the upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale). Both are very accurate takes, though in different scales, and vastly different color schemes.
Triceratops: Safari Ltd 2018 or the upcoming (subadult or adult) Beasts of the Mesozoic (1/18th scale) versions. Ditto.
Tricrepicephalus: Safari Ltd 2013 Cambrian Life TOOB (retired).
Tyrannosaurus: Safari Ltd 2017. This is still my favorite take on this despite being possibly out date now in regards to the integument such as the heavy coat of feathering and the lack of lips, because of the coloration, and size, and of course the sculpt detail. Everything else still holds up excellently though. It'll be a long wait to see how the eventual Beasts of the Mesozoic version(s?) will turn out, which no doubt I'll be wanting to have for my collection. Granted I also have the Battat Terra one and love it despite it being slightly out of date now.
Velociraptor: Beasts of the Mesozoic (1/6 scale, any version). While I have both the original standard coloration, and the kickstarter exclusive one, the standard bearded vulture inspired one is easily my favorite figure of this genus made period so far, though perhaps the only drawback is the shape and size of the tail and wing feathers being on the small size, when compared to relative Zhenyuanlong. Though I am behind on getting it, the Safari Ltd 2017 figure is the most accurate model out there of it currently, minus the lack of lips.
Vauxia: Safari Ltd 2013 Cambrian Life TOOB (retired).
Xenacanthus: Safari Ltd 2011 Prehistoric Shark TOOB (retired).
Yutyrannus: Safari Ltd 2015. While I feel it is a bit on the small side, and despite the lack of lips, it is a beautiful interpretation of this animal. I sincerely hope there will be one included in the Beasts of the Mesozoic tyrannosaur lineup (despite being a tyrannosauroid). I also would love to see PNSO do a take on this for their 1/35 line of figures.

For genus/figures I want but don't own yet (please note there could be others missing, such as the many species of invertebrates, early tetrapods, etc only made by Kaiyodo, etc that probably have one figure each):
Amargasaurus: PNSO 2019 (1:35 scale).
Anchiornis: PNSO 2018 Little Dinosaurs. The most accurate take on this genus, if not the only one.
Andrewsarchus: CollectA 2016.
Anomalocaris: Favorite 2014 Soft Model and 2016 Mini Model (blue color is my preferred one, but there is a yellow colored one too). In terms of accuracy and color scheme, these appeal to me the most, but that isn't to say I don't like the Yowie or Safari Ltd ones in my collection.
Anzu: Safari Ltd 2018.
Archaeopteryx: PNSO 2018 Little Dinosaurs. Not the most accurate, but the only option that appeals to me the most right now.
Archelon: Favorite 2015 Soft Model, or the CollectA 2017 Prehistoric Marine Box mini one.
Arizonasaurus: Bullyland 2007 (retired).
Arsinoitherium: CollectA 2014.
Atopodentatus: PNSO 2018 Little Dinosaurs.
Attenborosaurus: CollectA 2011.
Australovenator: Australian Age of Dinosaurs 2016.
Bajadasaurus: CollectA 2020.
Basilosaurus: PNSO 2016 or CollectA 2017.
Belemnite: CollectA 2020 or the retired Bullyland 1998 one.
Borealopelta: CollectA 2019. Granted I do hope to see Safari Ltd produce a figure of this genus.
Brontosaurus: CollectA 2018.
Camarasaurus: Safari Ltd 2019. Very beautifully done model, and very much up to date.
Canadaspis: Favorite 2016 Mini Model.
Centrosaurus: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale). While this is easily the most accurate option on the market, I would like to see Safari Ltd produce a figure of this some day along with Chasmosaurus, and Pentaceratops.
Chalicotherium: Bullyland 2012.
Chasmosaurus: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale). Ditto with it being accurate, but also wanting Safari Ltd to make a figure of it.
Coelophysis: Safari Ltd 2017.
Concavenator: Safari Ltd 2020 or Carnegie Collection 2013.
Confuciusornis: PNSO 2018 Little Dinosaurs.
Daeodon: Safari Ltd 2018 or CollectA 2015.
Dakosaurus: PNSO 2019.
Deinotherium: Eofauna 2019.
Desmatosuchus: Schleich 2004 (retired) or the Safari Ltd Prehistoric Crocodiles TOOB one.
Dilong: Carnegie Collection 2006.
Dilophosaurus: Safari Ltd 2020. Despite being on the smaller side, it is about 1/35 or 1/40 scale which are both scales I enjoy collecting in, and would fit nicely along side other models in that scale, which is ever growing. It is also by far the most up to date model now.
Dimetrodon: Papo 2013. Despite being out of date now, and a few anatomical issues for the time it was made (missing digits on the feet mainly), this is so far the only Dimetrodon figure with a color scheme that actually appeals to me.
Dimorphodon: Safari Ltd 2013 or CollectA 2017.
Diprotodon: Southlands Replicas 2018.
Deinonychus: Safari Ltd 2020. Easily the most accurate take on this species as of right now, with perhaps Rebor's next up, and I really dig the color scheme on this one as well. And while not in the same scale I'm sure this will pair nicely with the Safari Ltd 2015 Sauropelta.
Diabloceratops: Safari Ltd 2013, or the upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one.
Dinogorgon: Schleich 2018. The only figure of this genus, and one of the only gorgonopsid figures made at all. Not bad either on the anatomy.
Doedicurus: Safari Ltd 2006.
Edaphosaurus: CollectA 2019. Despite being one of the only figures of this genus made, it is also the most up to date, and I absolutely adore the color scheme it has.
Edmontosaurus: Safari Ltd 2020. Despite the front digit anatomy being outdated now with the discovery of it having hooves of a sort, it is still otherwise the most up to date rendition of this animal, and its at a good size too.
Einiosaurus: Safari Ltd 2017 or the upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale).
Elasmosaurus: Safari Ltd 2013.
Elasmotherium: CollectA 2019.
Estemmenosuchus: CollectA 2018. One of the only figures of this genus made, and is certainly the easiest to come by. Probably the most accurate out there too.
Excalibosaurus: CollectA 2017.
Gastonia: CollectA 2014.
Giganotosaurus: Eofanua 2019.
Gigantspinosaurus: CollectA 2017.
Glyphoderma: PNSO 2018 Little Dinosaurs.
Gomphotherium: CollectA 2018.
Gryposaurus: Safari Ltd 2013 (retired).
Gualong: Favorite 2016.
Hallucigenia: Favorite 2016 Mini Model.
Huayangosaurus: PNSO 2019.
Hyaenodon: Safari Ltd 2018.
Hypsilophodon: CollectA 2012.
Ichthyosaurus: Safari Ltd 2020 and Carnegie Collection 2010.
Ichthyovenator: CollectA 2014.
Iguanodon: CollectA 2018. Despite Having the Safari Ltd 2016 one, which I also quite like in terms of color scheme, and being anatomically up to date, it is a bit on the small side. Other then the size, I do prefer the classic green coloration on CollectA's slightly more, but I suppose either goes.
Kaprosuchus: Safari Ltd 2011.
Kronosaurus: Safari Ltd 2017 or CollectA 2017.
Liaoceratops: PNSO 2018 Little Dinosaurs.
Linheraptor: Beasts of the Mesozoic 2018 (1/6 scale).
Liopleurodon: Safari Ltd 2010 or Toyway WWD 1998.
Lisowicia: CollectA 2020.
Macauchenia: Safari Ltd 2018.
Mammuthus/Steppe Mammoth: Eofauna 2017.
Mamenchisaurus: PNSO 2019.
Marrella: Favorite 2016 Mini Model.
Megacerops: Safari Ltd 2018 or CollectA 2012.
Megaloceros: Papo 2020. Not too many options out there for this one as it is though, but this is certainly my favorite so far. Though I do hope to see both Safari Ltd and CollectA do a figure of this some day.
Megatherium: Safari Ltd 2005. A bit on the small side, but holds up well mostly considering its age.
Mei: PNSO 2018 Little Dinosaurs. Easily the most accurate figure of this genus out there, which also pays homage to the type specimen, which died sleeping.
Miragaia: Carnegie Collection 2011.
Monolophosaurus: Safari Ltd 2014.
Moropus: CollectA 2015.
Mosasaurus: PNSO 2019.
Nasutoceratops: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/8th scale) or the Safari Ltd 2015 one.
Nigersaurus: Safari Ltd 2009 (retired). Still holds up pretty well considering how old it is, but the feet are inaccurate. Edit: Apparently the head is too big too.
Nemicolopterus: PNSO 2018 Little Dinosaurs.
Nyctosaurus: PNSO 2018 Little Dinosaurs.
Opabinia: Favorite 2016 Mini Model. While there are many fantastic options out there for this genus, this is my favorite.
Ophthalmosaurus: PNSO 2019.
Olenoides: Favorite 2016 Mini Model.
Orthoceras: CollectA 2020.
Pachycephalosaurus: Safari Ltd 2020.
Pachyrhinosaurus: Safari Ltd 2014 or the upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale).
Palaeoloxodon: Eofauna 2018.
Pentaceratops: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one is the most accurate option on the market, but for models the Papo 2019, Favorite 2016, or the Schleich 2014 (retired) figures are other good contenders for now.
Pikaia: Favorite 2016 Mini Model.
Plesiosuchus: Safari Ltd 2016 (retired).
Pleuroceras: CollectA 2020.
Pliosaurus: CollectA 2015.
Prestosuchus: Safari Ltd 2019.
Protoceratops: Wild Past 2020 (1//35 scale) or the upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/6 scale), which will display quite nicely with the 1/6 Beasts of the Mesozoic Velociraptor figures I have. Though I also like the Mattel figures, which I have in my collection, they are not accurate to the fossil material.
Psittacosaurus: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one. Though the Safari Ltd 2017 model is quite nice, and certainly more affordable. Nontheless the Beasts of the Mesozoic one will be in scale with the Beasts of the Mesozoic Microraptor, which was its contemporary, and therefore will display nicely together.
Pteranodon: Safari Ltd 2019. Up to date, and for once a pterosaur in a quadruped pose.
Quetzalcoatlus: Safari Ltd 2017.
Redlichia: CollectA 2020
Sarcosuchus: Safari Ltd 2020.
Saurolophus: Favorite 2013.
Sciurumimus: CollectA 2018.
Shonisaurus: Schleich 2005 (retired).
Shringasaurus: Safari 2020.
Shunosaurus: Safari Ltd 2016.
Sinoceratops: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale), with Vitae's in second.
Sinosauropteryx: PNSO Little Dinosaurs. Pose based on the holotype, as well as the coloration.
Spiclypeus: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale) will be the first figure of this genus.
Stegosaurus: Safari Ltd 2019 or PNSO 2019.
Suchomimus: Safari Ltd 2014.
Temnodontosaurus: CollectA 2015.
Thylacoleo: Southlands Replicas 2016.
Tianyulong: PNSO 2018 Little Dinosaurs.
Tuojiangosaurus: PNSO 2018 Little Dinosaurs.
Uintatherium: Safari Ltd 2018 or CollectA 2017.
Utahceratops: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale).
Wiwaxia: Favorite 2016 Mini Model.
Wuerhosaurus: PNSO 2018 Little Dinosaurs or Vitae 2018.
Yi: PNSO Little Dinosaurs 2018 or Kaiyodo 2016.
Yinlong: Favorite 2016.
Zhenyuanlong: Beasts of the Mesozoic 2018 (1/6 scale, either coloration).
Zuniceratops: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic (1/18th scale).

Genus I'm not interested in collecting (at this time at least), but think these are definite versions (of the currently available options):
Albertaceratops: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale).
Adasaurus: Beasts of the Mesozoic 2018.
Amebelodon: Safari Ltd 2006 (retired).
Atrociraptor: Beasts of the Mesozoic 2018.
Avaceratops: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale).
Balaur: Beasts of the Mesozoic 2018. Despite being depicted based on the older dromaeosaurid hypothesis, this is still the most easily obtainable figure of this genus currently.
Beipiaosaurus: Carnegie Collection 2006.
Beishanlong: CollectA 2016.
Caudipteryx: Carnegie Collection 2006.
Chilantaisaurus: Vitae 2018.
Fukuisaurus: CollectA 2020.
Fukuiraptor: CollectA 2019.
Guidraco: CollectA 2015.
Kosmoceratops: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale).
Mantellisaurus: CollectA 2018.
Masiakasaurus: Safari Ltd 2016.
Medusaceratops: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale).
Metriacanthosaurus: CollectA 2016.
Neovenator: Favorite 2018.
Pelecanimimus: Favorite 2015.
Pyroraptor: Beasts of the Mesozoic 2018.
Qianzhousaurus: Safari Ltd 2020.
Saltriovenator: CollectA 2020.
Sinraptor: Vitae 2018.
Torosaurus: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale).
Tsaagan: Beasts of the Mesozoic 2018.
Tupuxara: Papo 2015 (retired).
Vagaceratops: Safari Ltd 2012.
Wendiceratops: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale).
Xenoceratops: The upcoming Beasts of the Mesozoic one (1/18th scale).
Yangchuanosaurus: PNSO 2019.
Zhejiangopterus: Vitae 2018.
Zhejiangosaurus: Vitae 2018.
Zhuchengtyrannus: Favorite 2016.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

There are only a few species where I can really picture seeing one as a single definitive version, Microraptor, Psittacosaurus (mongoliensis specifically), etc., and sadly one has yet to be made despite how well known they are. The Wild Safari versions are the current leaders though.

As an example, if I were to try and make a list of definitive versions, it would simply need to include both the (two!) Kaiyodo and the CollectA Kelenken, and that probably defeats the whole point right there...

Cretaceous Crab

Carnotaurus = PREY Collection Studios
Dilophosaurus = Papo
Kaprosuchus = Safari LTD
Coelophysis = Safari LTD
Velociraptor = the latest Carnegie & the latest Safari LTD
Allosaurus = 2019 Safari LTD
Miragaia = Carnegie
Iguanodon = latest Safari LTD
Daspletosaurus = Terra by Battat (the Tyrannosaurus figure)
Struthiomimus = CollectA
Yutyrannus = Safari LTD
Suchomimus = Safari LTD
Nigersaurus = Safari LTD

Most of the recent Safari LTD ceratopsian figures, I'm satisfied with their accuracy.

Still waiting on a lipped T. rex.

A lot of Spinosaurus figures have come close, but I haven't found "the one" yet.

CarnotaurusKing

Ceratosaurus - Papo
Cryolophosaurus - Papo
Tupuxuara - Papo
Allosaurus - Papo
Nasutoceratops - Safari Ltd
Sauropelta - Safari Ltd
Velociraptor - Safari Ltd
Gryposaurus - Safari Ltd
Dinogorgon - Schleich
Megatherium - Safari Ltd
Smilodon - Safari Ltd
Suchomimus - Safari Ltd
Daxiatitan - CollectA
Styracosaurus - CollectA
Borealopelta - CollectA
Lythronax - CollectA
Uintatherium - CollectA

Gothmog the Baryonyx

In my opinion and in no particular order:

Safari Ltd Feathered Tyrannosaurus
Eofauna Giganotosaurus
Eofauna Palaoeloxodon
Eofauna Atlasaurus
Safari Ltd & PNSO Ankylosaurus
Safari Ltd 2008 Diplodocus
Safari Ltd Camarasaurus
CollectA Edaphosaurus
Eofauna Deinotherium
Eofauna Steppe Mammoth
PNSO Mamenchisaurus
Safari Ltd 2020 Deinonychus
Safari Ltd Citipati
Safari Ltd 2020 Concavenator
Safari Ltd 2019 Ceolodonta
Battat Edmontonia
CollectA 2018 Iguanodon
Favorite Neovenator
Carnegie 2012 Brachiosaurus (apart from maybe size)
Carnegie Miragaia
Safari Ltd 2019 Stegosaurus
Safari Ltd 2019 Allosaurus
Safari Ltd Shringasaurus - not that I expect anyone else to one any time soon)
Safari Ltd Coelophysis
PNSO Dakosaurus
PNSO Eurhinosaurus
PNSO Spinops
Safari Ltd Nasutoceratops
Safari Ltd Einiosaurus
Safari Ltd 2018 Triceratops
Safari Ltd Gryposaurus
Safari Ltd Uintatherium
Safari Ltd Daeodon
CollectA Borealopelta

Probably more that I can't think of right now.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Duna

Yes, I have my own list in my collection post. All figures have to fix into my "rules". So maybe there are more accurate expensive or bigger versions, but they are not for me.

MY "RULES" FOR NEW FIGURES IN MY COLLECTION

- I only get (by now) common or most known species of dinosaurs and non dinosaurs, specially the ones I've known since I was a child. Rare or new species may exceptionally have a place if they awake enough interest in me: i.e: Bajadasaurus, Atlasaurus, Concavenator.
- I only get one figure of each species. Exceptions: feathered and non feathered models and some old-first and new representations (i.e. quality ones like Papo standing T-rex, velociraptor, spinosaurus ...)
- I only get one representative figure of non-dinosaurs groups. For example: only 1 itchyosaurus and no eurhinosaurus, ophtalmosaurus ...
- I try to get the most updated and accurate figures in the market.
- I don't collect figures with fixed bases, even if they are the most accurate model. Sorry, Collecta. ;)
- I don't buy articulated models but I don't mind movable jaws.
- I don't buy expensive figures. My limit is 35€ but usually under 25€ or less. (I'll make the exception with Papo Spinosaurus 2019).
- I don't get BIG figures or/and in large scales (even if they are the most accurate model). For example I won't be getting Collecta protoceratops Deluxe 2019, it's too big and out of scale from the rest of my collection. I have Papo brachiosaurus and it's nice and enough for me. Don't mind tall or long figures like small sauropods with long tails (i.e Collecta brontosaurus, PNSO Amargasaurus ...) if they are 38 cm long maximum.

THEROPODS:
Coelophysis: Safari 2017
Velociraptor: Safari 2017
Deinonychus: Safari 2020
Microraptor: Safari 2017
Acrocanthosaurus: Papo 2018
Allosaurus: Safari 2019
Tyrannosaurus: Safari 2017 (I'll keep the Papo standing rex which I think has a lot of detail and makes a good comparison with it).
Carnotaurus: Safari 2019
Ceratosaurus:  Papo 2017
Giganotosaurus: Eofauna 2019
Therizinosaurus: Papo 2018
Deinocheirus: Safari 2017
Spinosaurus: Papo 2020 (I'll keep the Papo first version which I think has a lot of detail and makes a good comparison with it).
Dilophosaurus: Safari 2020

ORNITHICHIA:
Dracorex: Schleich 2019
Pachycephalosaurus: Safari 2020
Edmontosaurus: Safari 2020
Iguanodon: Collecta Deluxe 2018
Psittacosaurus: Collecta 2016 (Safari 2017 is also ok but the Collecta version is tinier, better for me).
Borealopelta: Collecta 2019
Stegosaurus: Safari 2019
Ankylosaurus: PNSO 2019
Pachyrhinosaurus: My self-printed and painted 3D model.
Pentaceratops: Papo 2019
Styracosaurus: Safari 2019
Triceratops: Safari 2018

SAUROPODS
Atlasaurus: Eofauna 2019
Brontosaurus: Collecta 2018
Camarasaurus: Safari 2019
Bajadasaurus: Collecta 2020
Nigersaurus: Safari 2015

NON DINOSAURS:
Postosuchus: Safari 2016
Sarcosuchus: Safari 2020
Edaphosaurus: Collecta 2019
Elasmosaurus: Safari 2016
Icthyosaurus: Safari 2020
Mosasaurus: Collecta 2014
Megalodon: PNSO Patton (large) 2019
Pteranodon: Safari 2019

Deinotherium: Eofauna 2019
Elasmotherium: Collecta 2019

Brontozaurus

I'm not really sure I have many that I consider so definitive that I wouldn't ever pick up another rendition of the species. For example I love the Southland Replicas Thylacoleo and consider it the best version of the animal ever made, but if Safari or Collecta announce their own I'm absolutely buying it.

That being said, the Battat Terra Tyrannosaurus comes very close to being definitive for me. It's not just that it holds up in accuracy despite the mould being over 20 years old, it's excellently sculpted and hits all the right notes for a plastic Tyrannosaurus.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.