News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Killekor's Collection: Day 5

Started by Killekor, February 19, 2017, 12:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

avatar_Killekor @Killekor The Schleich oviraptor is one of the star figures of this brand. Hopefully all his figures were like that or like the baryonyx of this year!

The feathered velociraptor is a pretty good figure and reminds me of the Aztec deity quetzalcoatl although it has nothing to do with it, it reminds me of a feathered Aztec warrior, it is a great figure.

As you say, Mattel's protoceratops is the weak figure of the group.

My congratulations Killekor for your new acquisitions.

Killekor

Thank you for the reply Shonisaurus!

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 12, 2020, 07:31:44 AM
avatar_Killekor @Killekor The Schleich oviraptor is one of the star figures of this brand. Hopefully all his figures were like that or like the baryonyx of this year!

I agree, it would be great! Unfortunately it looks like they don't care of making decent figures anymore, considering this summer's releases which look like chinasaurs.

The feathered velociraptor is a pretty good figure and reminds me of the Aztec deity quetzalcoatl although it has nothing to do with it, it reminds me of a feathered Aztec warrior, it is a great figure..

I see what you mean! I think that that's probably because of the color scheme which really has something of this kind.
It could be interpreted like an Aztec warrior in Mongolia, sent by its civility to conquer the territory and kill the population, know with the name of... "Protoceratops"!  ;D ;D ;D.

As you say, Mattel's protoceratops is the weak figure of the group.

My congratulations Killekor for your new acquisitions.

Thank you!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

ceratopsian

Just catching up with your last few posts avatar_Killekor @Killekor .  I like reading your comments.  Some nice models you have there.  I'm personally really fond of the Carnegie Miragaia and the Safari Sauropelta.  It's always a pleasure to be reminded of models that I bought a while back!

Killekor

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 13, 2020, 08:56:10 AM
Just catching up with your last few posts avatar_Killekor @Killekor .  I like reading your comments.  Some nice models you have there.  I'm personally really fond of the Carnegie Miragaia and the Safari Sauropelta.  It's always a pleasure to be reminded of models that I bought a while back!

Thank you for the reply! I'm happy that you like this thread.
I enjoy too to read the thoughts and photos of dinosaurs figures, also the ones I have!
That's one of my favorite kind of posts of the forum.

Killekor

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

Halichoeres

That Oviraptor is possibly Schleich's best theropod figure.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 14, 2020, 04:01:08 PM

What about the Spinosaurus?

Shonisaurus

And the psittacosaurus, dracorex, dinogorgon or triceratops?

Concavenator

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 14, 2020, 06:22:55 PM

Psittacosaurus, Triceratops, and Dracorex (= Pachycephalosaurus) aren't theropods, they are ornithischians. And Dinogorgon isn't even a dinosaur.

Killekor

Quote from: Concavenator on February 14, 2020, 05:45:00 PM

What about the Spinosaurus?

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 14, 2020, 06:22:55 PM

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator I think that avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres prefear the Oviraptor to the Spinosaurus because of the blunt teeth of the latter (or I'm wrong?); and I agree with him that it's Schleich best theropod, although I find the Spinosaurus nicer for my tastes.

And speaking of other kind of animals, I actually find the Dinogorgon and two Kentrosaurus to be the best dinosaurs from Schleich, along with the Oviraptor.

The Triceratops has a special place in my (dinosaur collector) heart, as I will write when I'll talk about it. The Dracorex and the Diabloceratops are great figures, and one day I will also get the Dinogorgon and Psittacosaurus.

If all the Schleich figures would be like the ones I mentioned and like their Baryonyx it would be a much greater brand!

Anyways, thanks to all of you for replying to this thread!

Killekor

Halichoeres

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator and avatar_Killekor @Killekor I think the Spinosaurus is fine, but it's hard for me to get excited about it because there are several better versions out now. The same is not true for Oviraptor. They might be pretty equal in quality, but I think the Spino suffers by comparison with the Safari and PNSO versions, and perhaps also the CollectA and Papo versions.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Killekor

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 17, 2020, 08:46:47 PM
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator and avatar_Killekor @Killekor I think the Spinosaurus is fine, but it's hard for me to get excited about it because there are several better versions out now. The same is not true for Oviraptor. They might be pretty equal in quality, but I think the Spino suffers by comparison with the Safari and PNSO versions, and perhaps also the CollectA and Papo versions.

Thanks for explaining!

Dinosaurs of the day: Day 4.

Today's models both represent my probably favorite dinosaur: Spinosaurus!
I love that dinosaur and I could get dozens and dozens of models of it in its modern reconstruction!
I could say quite surely that my interest for paleontology (and for dinosaur toys) started with an article of a National Geographic kids magazine, which talked about the newest discoveries on Spinosaurus. I was fascinated by this crocodile-like aquatic dinosaur more than how I've ever been interested in other dinosaurs. Some days later I entered in a toy shop for curiosity where there were some Schleich models for sale, and when I saw the "new" (at that time) Mini Spinosaurus I immediately decided to get one!
From then I started to collecting dinosaur toys and also to get models of other species, but Spinosaurus remained my favorite one along with Sinornithosaurus.

So, I've already talked here of Papo's amazing new version (the best one for me) and I've shown my own "sculpture'" of it in my art and sculptures thread, but there are still two "modern" Spinosaurus in my collection which have to be presented.
Here they are!

Deluxe 1:40 Spinosaurus
Brand: CollectA. Released in 2015.

From when I discovered the existence of this model I've always hunted for one. At that time it was the only available "modern" version of it (apart from the smaller versions of it), so for me it was really a must have. In late 2016 (I was already registered here) it unexpectedly became available on amazon, so I grabbed it as fast as I could!
When I've received it I was really joyful, but I had the bad idea to repaint it; not because I've made a disaster (some may remember that I started my repaints thread with it), but because after 2 years the paint became sticky and the figure started to ruin because of the wrong paint used. I had to put it in the garbage, with sadness.
I've bought another one last year and I've decided to not repaint it!

Anyways, it's a really great model, even if it has its inaccurate wrists.
Masterfully sculpted, it's between the "modern" Spinosaurus the most loyal to the Hibraim/Sereno reconstruction. I like its cartoony "desert" color scheme, in particular the pink mouth, and CollectA's distinctive style matches perfectly with the crocodilian look of this Spinosaurus, making it one of the most charming and elegant pieces of this brand.
I've always liked big models with articulated jaws and this figure excels on both points. The plastic used is rigid but quite flexible, and its teeth are really sharp, so I wouldn't give it to a child.
This is one of the figures which I'm most fond of in my collection, and It's surely the most elegant between all the versions currently available of this genus (the Papo is striking but not elegant).

Vote: 9/10.

Spinosaurus
Brand: Schleich. Released in 2019.

After the recent posts about the good Schleich figures and in particular about the Spinosaurus and Oviraptor I couldn't not talk about the former figure this time!

First off, I want to say that it's great exactly as its counterparts from CollectA and Papo. It's incredible how all the modern Spinosaurus (also the ones which I don't have) are exceptional even being so different: the Papo is as I've already said striking to the incredible, the CollectA is refined, the Schleich is for all tastes, the upcoming REBOR looks like the most "natural " of all etc... Spinosaurus i's really a versatile dinosaur.

This model is one of Schleich's most shining gems. The sculpt is great even if it haves blunted teeth (which I personally don't find disturbing at all), and the color scheme is nice. I'f I have to search something that makes it different from the other Spinosaurs I can say that it has personality with its quiet, even cynical glance.
I like it a lot!

Vote 8,9/10.

So here's what I have to say for today. I hope that you enjoyed reading my thoughts!
Thank you for visiting this thread and have a great day!

Killekor

Shonisaurus

avatar_Killekor @Killekor First of all I congratulate you on your spinosaurus collection figures. Nice review of both spinosaurus Collecta and Schleich.

That of Collecta has quite nice paint colors and is an unusual figure and I don't say it, says Prehistoric Times, which was one of the figures of the year along with its two standard swimming and terrestrial spinosaurus next to the sauropelta of Safari, shared prize for the best figure.

On the other hand, Schleich spinosaurus I share your opinion is one of the best theropods made by the Schleich brand, perhaps the best although it has the baryonyx and even the adult and juvenile tyrannosaurus that are good figures. It is well demonstrated that if Schleich does his part even if he is a little, he is guaranteed success when making figures not only for children but also for those of us who are made and right adult collectors as he says.

In my case, my favorite dinosaurs are, among others, tyrannosauroids (including tyrannosaurus rex) and ceraptosides and also majungasaurus.

Killekor

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 17, 2020, 10:35:11 PM
avatar_Killekor @Killekor First of all I congratulate you on your spinosaurus collection figures. Nice review of both spinosaurus Collecta and Schleich.

That of Collecta has quite nice paint colors and is an unusual figure and I don't say it, says Prehistoric Times, which was one of the figures of the year along with its two standard swimming and terrestrial spinosaurus next to the sauropelta of Safari, shared prize for the best figure.

On the other hand, Schleich spinosaurus I share your opinion is one of the best theropods made by the Schleich brand, perhaps the best although it has the baryonyx and even the adult and juvenile tyrannosaurus that are good figures. It is well demonstrated that if Schleich does his part even if he is a little, he is guaranteed success when making figures not only for children but also for those of us who are made and right adult collectors as he says.

Thank you!

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 17, 2020, 10:35:11 PM
In my case, my favorite dinosaurs are, among others, tyrannosauroids (including tyrannosaurus rex) and ceraptosides and also majungasaurus.

Nice favorites! I like too Majungasaurus, a really interesting dinosaur, although there aren't versions that interest me for now (except the upcoming Wild Past one which looks amazing!)
It's surprising that there aren't many versions of it available.

Killekor

Killekor

Dinosaurs of the day: Day 5.

Until now all the "episodes" of my collection have examined each one dinosaur toys that have something in common: same brand, same genus/family, same geographical area or simply models I acquired together. Today's post will be different. The two figures are from different brands, I've acquired them in different times and the dinosaurs that represent doesn't have nothing in common.
Anyways, let's look at them!

Roarivores Baryonyx (Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom)
Brand: Mattel.

I find this to be the best model of the entire Jwfk line.
First of all it's really fun to play with it! The articulations are well made allowing a various different poses (although not as BotM figures), and the roaring/chomping function is enough realistic for simulate an attack to another dinosaur. If you press the mouth enough you can keep it closed without needing anything else, if someone is wondering.
It's well sculpted, with all the scales and osteoderms giving to it a really crocodilian look. Furthermore I love its color scheme, with those shades of brown and dark blue and the glossy blue snout which is simply irresistible!
I didn't saw the movie where this Baryonyx is featured (nor I'm interested to), but from the photos I saw of the original creature the figure looks accurate to it (someone mentioned a too short tail but it doesn't look so to me). Naturally it's a Jurassic World figure, so we can't pretend it to be accurate to the real animal.
The only things I can criticize to it are the seams of the tail and head which could had been less visible, but apart of this I find this Baryonyx to be a really great figure for what it's intended to be: a toy. If someone wants a more serious Jw Baryonyx it can always wait for a version from avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO , which if I'm not wrong has teased a long time ago an adult Baryonyx.

Vote: 9,5/10.

Triceratops
Brand: Schleich.

Someone maybe will be surprised to know that this is the only Triceratops figure I currently own. As other users of this forum I've never been attracted by "popular" dinosaurs as for more obscure genus: even at the start of my collection I thought of Spinosaurus as a really rare dinosaur in toy form (I didn't know its popularity at that time)...
And it was just for a randomness that I've acquired this figure.
When it got released I thought "another uninteresting Triceratops figure", but last summer I entered in a library that for some reason also sells Schleich models and saw it. I got impressed by how better it was than in photos and decided to get it!

I've never repented of that acquisition, and its actually one of my favorite figures of my collection. I find it to be aesthetically excellent, with those artistically sculpted scales and that wonderful head. The color scheme is classic but at the same time fascinating, and its pose gives a powerful sense of movement. You can feel that it's quiet, but decided to go through its way and dangerous for anyone who impairs it; an impression also present in its glance, where however there's also something cute maybe caused by the glossy black paint applied on it.
It has its inaccuracies, like the wrong number of digits on the forearms and the wrong skin texture, but I find it to be a really great figure which fascinates in person.

Vote: 8,5/10.

I would had made next time the Mattel Mussaurus if I wasn't working to a review of it and of the REBOR Dilophosaurus for the blog, if Mr. avatar_suspsy @suspsy agrees to.
The Mussaurus in my opinion needs a far more detailed review than how I would make it in this thread.

So, that's it for this post. I hope the you've enjoyed reading my thoughts!
Thanks for visiting and have a nice day!

Killekor

P.S. Errata Corrige: it's not real that the two figures of which I've talked in this post doesn't have nothing in common. Try to guess what they have in common!

Shonisaurus

avatar_Killekor @Killekor Nice analysis of your two new dinosaur figures the baryonyx is great although in my case I do not collect these figures of this great brand and the Schleich triceratops is the best ceraptoside that has been made to date by this brand of prehistoric animals and It is for me one of the best triceratops made among toy dinosaur brands.

Killekor

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 20, 2020, 07:50:19 AM
avatar_Killekor @Killekor Nice analysis of your two new dinosaur figures the baryonyx is great although in my case I do not collect these figures of this great brand and the Schleich triceratops is the best ceraptoside that has been made to date by this brand of prehistoric animals and It is for me one of the best triceratops made among toy dinosaur brands.

Thank you!

Killekor

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.