News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which plant should i use?

Started by andrewsaurus rex, April 11, 2021, 05:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

I want to pose my BOTM Chasmosaurus munching on a plant, but i'm not well versed in late Cretaceous flora.  I've done a bit of reading but am still unclear which is most suitable.  Advice requested.

These are my only options.....i'm not of a mind to go out and buy any plastic plants.

I realize the battery on the right is not a plant, just there for scale.  Thanks for any help.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reuben03

Quote from: andrewsaurus on April 11, 2021, 05:27:50 PM
I want to pose my BOTM Chasmosaurus munching on a plant, but i'm not well versed in late Cretaceous flora.  I've done a bit of reading but am still unclear which is most suitable.  Advice requested.

These are my only options.....i'm not of a mind to go out and buy any plastic plants.

I realize the battery on the right is not a plant, just there for scale.  Thanks for any help.
they're all really nice, if you cant dont worry but,
do you have a link to where i can buy them? especially the one on the right.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

andrewsaurus rex

From left to right I got the plants at a pet store in the aquarium section....they had a huge variety of different shapes and sizes, the middle plant I got at Walmart in their gardening section where they had a variety of plastic artificial plants (dollar stores also have these types of artificial plants) and the one on the right was part of a plastic palm tree I got at my local dollar store a long time ago...it came in a bag of cheap plastic animal figures.

You should be able to source similar plants at these types of stores near you.  HTH.

Newt

The ferny plant on the right and the laurel-like plant in center both work as Cretaceous flora.

andrewsaurus rex

thanks Newt.......would the one in the middle be more likely found on a plant or a tree or both?  Just trying to determine what animals would be more likely to eat it.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 11, 2021, 07:29:15 PM
I favor the one on the right.

The protein filled Treetrunk on the far right would be my first choice too..

I also think the Fern on the right looks the Best. If you want to swing the Paintbrush too, you could give it a Drybrush with more Ocre/yellowish on the bottomleaves, and a slightly lighter green on the tops. But it looks already good as it is now :-)

Newt

Quote from: andrewsaurus on April 24, 2021, 10:44:08 PM
thanks Newt.......would the one in the middle be more likely found on a plant or a tree or both?  Just trying to determine what animals would be more likely to eat it.

Sorry for the late reply. Probably both. Reconstructing ancient plants is made difficult by the fact that leaves, twigs, stems, roots, and reproductive parts are seldom found associated, so it's often unknown if a particular kind of fossil foliage came from a tree, shrub, vine, or what have you. But I think it's safe to assume that simple ovoid leaves grew on woody flowering plants of all growth habits in those days, as now.

Bowhead Whale

The Energiser black plant on the right looks so weird. Are you sure it is not a prehistoric mushroom?

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.