News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Prime 1 Studio: New for 2022

Started by need4swede, December 19, 2021, 09:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sturisoma on December 30, 2022, 07:55:15 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 29, 2022, 05:20:34 PMIf only they hadn't put them all in the exact same pose. Feels like just variations and not each character.

This was my first thought and initially made me think about buying them. I thought it was just lazy. They could have simply made one with a gentle turn of the neck to either side, and even one looking up or tilted head or in a curious "huh?" look. However, seeing the review, the paint apps are good enough for my eyes that now I need the whole squad, plus the Iron Studios Blue.  ^-^

Alternate arms and legs would have done the job, just vary it up a bit. I haven't seen good paint apps yet on one of the smaller Prime 1 pieces.  I let go of the Carno, the Rex I want to but I'd lose 25.00 in the deposit. If someone want to take it from BBTS just let me know, I can change the shipping address and you pay me the rest for it.  I just have the Spino on order now paint seems varied on it?

need4swede

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 30, 2022, 04:52:56 PMI just have the Spino on order now paint seems varied on it?

The paint on mine isn't bad at all, albeit it's a bit dark and muddy compared to how colorful the others are. I quite like how bulky the figure is compared to the others.

- Swede

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: need4swede on December 30, 2022, 06:49:34 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 30, 2022, 04:52:56 PMI just have the Spino on order now paint seems varied on it?

The paint on mine isn't bad at all, albeit it's a bit dark and muddy compared to how colorful the others are. I quite like how bulky the figure is compared to the others.

Very cool! I guess because it's based on the animatronic vs cg model or a generic interpretation?

Is that the WDragon (1st) , Prime 1 , WDragon (2), and Nanmu (V1) ?

I have the Nanmu V2 and the Dragon Soul but I have yet to get them out.

need4swede

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 30, 2022, 04:52:56 PMIs that the WDragon (1st) , Prime 1 , WDragon (2), and Nanmu (V1) ?

You are correct!

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 30, 2022, 04:52:56 PMVery cool! I guess because it's based on the animatronic vs cg model or a generic interpretation?

I might be alone in this, but I don't think it looks like the animatronic. I think the Prime 1 looks a bit more like a crocodile / serpent than the SW puppet does. I think a mix of the Nanmu and the WDragon (1st) would be pretty dead on - perhaps the new Nanmu one is closer to that?
- Swede

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: need4swede on January 03, 2023, 06:31:13 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 30, 2022, 04:52:56 PMIs that the WDragon (1st) , Prime 1 , WDragon (2), and Nanmu (V1) ?

You are correct!

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 30, 2022, 04:52:56 PMVery cool! I guess because it's based on the animatronic vs cg model or a generic interpretation?

I might be alone in this, but I don't think it looks like the animatronic. I think the Prime 1 looks a bit more like a crocodile / serpent than the SW puppet does. I think a mix of the Nanmu and the WDragon (1st) would be pretty dead on - perhaps the new Nanmu one is closer to that?

I'll probably be able to tell more once it's in hand about the Prime1 but the robustness of the sculpt and heavy detail look right for the animatronic. It was much thicker in appearance than the CG model.

I just put the new Nanmu Spinos regular edition and Dragon Soul up against their V1 Supplanter and other than size and paint it's a better model than they are for a few reasons.

Now the new W-Dragon model is 100% the cg model and it's pretty impressive as such.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Not the best pic but I did get The Prime 1 Spino in, some comparisons with other current pieces.

I like it better than the Nanmu Dragon Soul Spino, over all more detail size is about the same, more the pose I wish the 1:15 Prime 1 Spinosaurus was in.  Small issues, seams could be a little better, the tail especially is a bit odd in design. The teeth seem to curve inwards I'm guessing an issue with molding and curing. I may try to warm them up and see if they will move down and out.   I've owned 6 JP3 Spinos in this similar scale all except the first WDragon one.

1 W-Dragon Spinosaurus ( CG version)

The rest are based in some way more on the film version.

2 Prime 1 Spinosaurus
3 Nanmu Supplanter V1
4 Nanmu Supplanter V2
5 Nanmu Dragon Soul Supplanter
6 Papo Spinosaurus

Just my current ranking. All have something better than others and each has it's own issues.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.