News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which company had the most diverse 2022 lineup?

Started by Halichoeres, January 11, 2023, 05:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

I'm trying to make this an annual tradition. Since 2019, I've been evaluating the diversity of companies' prehistoric offerings (here's a full explanation from 2019: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8305.0). In a nutshell, I'm measuring two things:

• how phylogenetically distant the species in a company's lineup are from one another
• how much of Earth's history is sampled

For the first part, I find the hypothetical last common ancestor of all the species released by a company. Here's PNSO, the winner for 2021:

The red arrow shows the 'root' of the tree, the common ancestor from which all these other species evolved. From there I calculate the cumulative amount of evolution, in millions of years, required to generate all the species in the lineup. For PNSO last year, the length was an impressive 2,509 million years (2.5 billion). We can call this the raw tree length.

The second part gives a temporal bonus for every geological period represented in a company's lineup, calculated as the amount of time from the end of that period to the present day, again, in millions of years:
0     Quaternary     
2.6  Neogene         
23    Paleogene
66    Cretaceous
145   Jurassic     
201.3 Triassic           
251.9 Permian         
298.9 Carboniferous   
358.9 Devonian         
419.2 Silurian         
443.8 Ordovician   
485.4 Cambrian   
541   Ediacaran 

The reason I include this is that the raw tree length would reward a company for Megatherium almost exactly the same as one that included both Megatherium and Ophiacodon, because Ophiacodon is so close to the root of Synapsida. Adding the temporal bonus acknowledges the fact that Ophiacodon and Megatherium are quite different animals! So for the PNSO example above, since they produced animals from the Devonian, Permian, Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous, and Neogene, their adjusted tree length was a whopping 3,535 million years (3.5 billion).

So who wants to guess which company had the most diverse lineup in 2022?  I haven't calculated the lengths yet but I have a strong suspicion for a blowout winner.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Is it CollectA? They had a mammal, a pterosaur, and a cephalopod in addition to four archosaurs.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dusty Wren

I love this tradition.

Can't be PNSO or Safari this year, with their all-dinosaur lineups. CollectA, maybe? The Cooperoceras and Paraceratherium stretch their timeline beyond the Mesozoic, at least.
Check out my customs thread!

bmathison1972

CollectA is a good thought, with a nautaloid, non-dinosaur reptiles, dinosaurs, and a mammal.

But, Takara also looks good, assuming the repaints in the Great Old Sea collection count

Halichoeres

So I don't know the answer yet, but I will say that among mainstream companies I think CollectA is a strong contender despite a relatively small lineup. B @bmathison1972 I don't usually count repaints, which really reduces Tomy's potential, although they did still have a pretty large volume of releases.

My predicted winner is a little bit more of an oddball, not necessarily on most collectors' radar.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Crackington

Would that be Oumcraft? I got my figures in 2021, but realise it took a while for other people to get their models as it was a Kickstarter project.

Faelrin

I'd guess CollectA, but Takara Tomy also had a few Paleozoic, and Cenozoic, aside from a variety of stuff across the Mesozoic. I think aside from the Cenozoic figures and some of the Jurassic World Dominion, most are repaints, or re-releases even, but I'd have to double check for the specifics. At least the Old Seas stuff is definitely all repaints. I'll go back into detail for the others below after I check them out later (pretty tired atm).

In total Takara Tomy had:
Spoiler
Paleozoic:
Anomalocaris (repaint)
Dimetrodon
Dunkleosteus (repaint)
eurypterid (repaint)
Olenoides (repaint)

Mesozoic:
Allosaurus
ammonite (Mesozoic?; repaint)
Ankylosaurus
Archelon (repaint)
Atrociraptor
Brachiosaurus
Carnotaurus
Dilophosaurus
Futabasaurus
Giganotosaurus
Mosasaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
Parasaurolophus
Pteranodon
Pyroraptor
Quetzalcoatlus
Rhamphorhynchus
Spinosaurus
Stegosaurus
Therizinosaurus
Triceratops
Tylosaurus
Tyrannosaurus
Velociraptor (Deinonychus really)

Cenozoic:
Dinornis/giant moa
Latimeria/coelacanth (repaint)
Mammuthus/woolly mammoth
Smilodon
[close]

Kaiyodo also had some Cenozoic stuff, for what its worth (1 bird, rest are mammals). Mattel also had two synapsids, Dimetrodon (Perimian) and Lystrosaurus (Permian/Triassic), but I'd say they rate pretty low on variety otherwise (only 1 new marine reptile and Mosasaurus repaint - Liopleurodon, 4 pterosaurs - Dsungaripterus, Geosternbergia, Pteranodon, and Quetzalcoatlus), mostly theropods, some ornithischians, and 2 sauropods.

Edit: avatar_Crackington @Crackington See the discussion in the 2021 thread here. Unless he changed his mind and will count it towards 2022?

Edit 2: Missed the discussion between B @bmathison1972 and avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres earlier. I also just remembered there was also the F-Toys Anomalocaris and Hallucigenia figures. Doubt they will count towards this, since the sample size is so small, but mentioning them anyways for what it's worth.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Halichoeres

Quote from: Crackington on January 13, 2023, 06:25:51 PMWould that be Oumcraft? I got my figures in 2021, but realise it took a while for other people to get their models as it was a Kickstarter project.

Oumcraft beats everyone and it isn't even close! However, I looked at them in 2021. PNSO was actually second place, but since the Life miniatures are a pretty niche product I left them out of the ranking.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Tomy and Kaiyodo might have a chance at beating CollectA, but I'm thinking of a company that I think outdid any of them. It's sort of off-beat, though: Kabaya! We'll see if my prediction holds up after I actually do the math.

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Oof I totally forgot about them. Yeah despite the heavy stylization they still did technically put out a ton of stuff this year, many that didn't have figures before. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out in the end.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0