You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

help with long lost monsters and other plastic dinos :)

Started by tw22, August 17, 2013, 11:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tw22

You guys have been ultra helpful with some of my dino finds ... here is one more. These aren't originally mine, but I had some exactly like these. I had these when I was a kid, and I *think* they were called "Long Lost Monsters" or some such. When googling them, I found some like them ... but the other ones that don't exactly match up, I'm not sure. Anyone know them ? Some are marked "made in Hong Kong" or simply "Hong Kong" and that's it.

Thanks as always :) And yes, these I will try and sell lol :)

Seijun

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

tw22

Hmm ... after looking at other Ja-Ru figures, I'm not sure :(

Do the Ja-Ru have "Hong Kong" on them ? And the Ja-Ru look even more detailed than these. More Marx-esque. I think it's the neon ones that are throwing me for a loop.

And actually ... after looking a bit more, they look like Ajax 70's style dino's. What do you think ? : /

tyrantqueen

Aren't these bootlegs of Monster In My Pocket toys? :-\

tw22

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 18, 2013, 03:26:10 AM
Aren't these bootlegs of Monster In My Pocket toys? :-\
Haha I remember those !

No I don't think these are the same ... the Long Lost Monsters far predated Monster in My Pockets (Long Lost Monsters came out in the 70's I believe). They were creepy with some strange hybrid like looking creatures, while Monsters in my Pockets were more cartoony as I remember. I remember playing with the Long Lost Monsters toys for hours while I watched Land of the Lost, and listening to that eerie Sleestak music while playing with the odd creatures that came with those cheep plastic sets. It was enough to create life long nightmares haha :) I also remember having the Marx toys, all of them, complete with the little scene you were supposed to play with and the caveman people. I was always confused why none of my Marx toys looked like Chaka and Grumpy :)

Goldensamuel

I have this little guy, i never really knew what he was, he looks sorta like one of those little things you showed in your pics.

Takama

All I know is that the bug thing is called a Rust Monster

tw22

Quote from: Takama on August 18, 2013, 04:56:44 AM
All I know is that the bug thing is called a Rust Monster
Yes yes !!! haha .... and Gary Gygax also saw one of the other little toys in his bag of cheap plastic monsters and modeled the bulette after it ;-) Here is mine lol:

I think the owlbear *may* have been modeled after the gray/blue thing doing the Egyptian, but idk lol ...

tw22

Hey thanks again everyone for your help as always ... I'll probably list these tonight on ebay. Perhaps someone will appreciate the rust monster and other D&D original inspirations from the 70's ! lol

mariya

mariya