News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Looking for a good Icthyasaur

Started by jc_4130, August 12, 2022, 02:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jc_4130

Doing a little marine reptiles display.  So far I am getting the PNSO Tylosaurus and Kronosaurus (I guess technically Eiectus now) to represent Mosasaurs and Pliosaurs.

As far as quality and price I really like PNSO, but not sure about their Icthyasaurs.  And I was looking for something in scale with the other two (about 1/35?).  Opthalmosasaurus is nice but seems way out of scale.  Eurhinosaurus has some shape accuracy issues.  Himalayasaurus is intriguing but seems to be based on very fragmentary data - maybe it's close to another better known genus?  Any other suggestions around 1/35 scale?

Halichoeres

J @jc_4130 there's always the Walking with Dinosaurs Ophthalmosaurus by Toyway:

It's closer to 1:20 than 1:35, but the PNSO version is probably more like 1:10.

And there's the CollectA Excalibosaurus, but it's more like 1:40 or 1:45:

Truth is there just aren't that many options for ichthyosaurs in the scale you're requesting.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

jc_4130

Yes it seems good options are limited even though there initially seemed like so many.  Given how quickly things are being released, maybe I should just wait for now .

Of what's available, Himalayasaurus seems like the best fit.  Although little is known of Himalayasaurus proper, it seems like a fairly accurate representative of a generic large icthyosaur.  Plus it seems to be about the scale I want, and as an 'apex predator' icthyosaur it fits well with the theme of the other models.

Halichoeres

Of course there's always the good old bird-muppet Schleich Shonisaurus!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Duna

Safari new ichthyosaurus is good, too. Not sure about the scale:

postsaurischian

Quote from: Duna on September 09, 2022, 03:13:19 PMSafari new ichthyosaurus is good, too. Not sure about the scale:

As Ichthyosaurus it would be a bit too large for 1:35 of course, but I think it would make a nice display with the larger PNSO marine reptiles.
 I would choose this one, it's highly accurate, very beautiful and to be honest, there are a few larger ichthyosaurs that look pretty similar to Ichthyosaurus ;) .

ItsTwentyBelow

Halichoeres - why would you recommend the Schleich Shonisaurus and Toyway Opthalmosaurus to this person? Those two are long out of production and not at all easy to find for a good price.

I have a good 3-piece ichthyosaur display on the bathroom counter right now consisting of the PNSO Eurhinosaurus, PNSO Himalayasaurus, and the CollectA Excalibosaurus, with Schleich man standing among them for a 1:40 scale reference. I'd recommend the PNSO Eurhino as one of the best widely available ichthys currently.

Concavenator

I also recommend the Safari Ichthyosaurus, I have it and I'm happy with it - it's accurate, beautiful and very affordable.

Halichoeres

Yeah, the Safari Ichthyosaurus is great, as was the Carnegie before it; I only left it out because it's at a very large scale relative to what the first post seemed to ask for. Even the Kaiyodo Ichthyosaurus is about 1:20 or 1:25.

jc_4130

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on September 09, 2022, 07:43:08 PMI'd recommend the PNSO Eurhino as one of the best widely available ichthys currently.

Unfortunately it looks like Eurhinosaurus has some shape errors, which would annoy me.

The Safari Ichthyosaurus is tempting.  It's definitely out of scale but as postsaurischian said, there are some larger relatives of similar shape.  And it has the 'classic' Ichthyosaur shape.  And it's cheap.  Unfortunately it seems to be sold out at any legit looking shop - out of production?  Still thinking about Himalayasaurus, but honestly I have trouble giving PNSO the benefit of the doubt that there is a solid basis for the animal.  As far as I know only small fragments of the animal have been found.

I think this is a sign to hold off for a bit and see if something better comes along.  And maybe a good plesiosaur, of which there are even fewer options.  I have the Safari Elasmosaurus, which is a solid shape but a bit small in scale (and the face is on the cartoonish side)

Shane

Quote from: jc_4130 on September 13, 2022, 03:15:30 PMThe Safari Ichthyosaurus is tempting.  It's definitely out of scale but as postsaurischian said, there are some larger relatives of similar shape.  And it has the 'classic' Ichthyosaur shape.  And it's cheap.  Unfortunately it seems to be sold out at any legit looking shop - out of production? 

For the record, it's not out of production.

It should be coming back into stock on the Safari Ltd store site very soon.

Shane

Just an update on my previous post -

The ichthyosaurus is back up on the Safari Ltd site for anyone interested.

https://www.safariltd.com/products/ichthyosaurus

jc_4130

Just went to order it... but $25 minimum order?  Balls.  I've been meaning to get the Eofauna Kononbelodon so I may as well wait until it's in stock at Dan's Dinosaurs or somewhere like that.

Halichoeres

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on September 09, 2022, 07:43:08 PMHalichoeres - why would you recommend the Schleich Shonisaurus and Toyway Opthalmosaurus to this person? Those two are long out of production and not at all easy to find for a good price.

I didn't notice this comment before, but given how few options there are I figured it was best to cast a wide net. I'd have left them out if there had been anything in the OP to specify "must be in production" or "must be under $30" or anything like that. There are only about 8 ichthyosaur figures in production and only maybe 3 remotely fit the stated criteria.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.