You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Huge Tyrannosaurus skull to be auctioned

Started by Concavenator, November 13, 2022, 05:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

A 2.05 m long (?) Tyrannosaurus skull unearthed in South Dakota during 2020 and 2021 is to be auctioned:

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/tyrannosaurus-rex-skull-sothebys-auction-intl-scli-scn/index.html

... and another valuable fossil that looks like will be lost to science.  :-\

Did they get the measurements right though? It was my dad who told me about these news, and when he said to me the skull measures 2 m long, I thought it was too much. But that's what everyone is saying.  ??? If true, this may be the biggest Tyrannosaurus skull ever found, since Scotty's skull length is 1.56 m, Custer's is 1.43 m, and Sue's is 1.41 m (premaxilla to quadrate). I imagine the individual which this skull belongs to, had the skeleton been discovered, would be the largest specimen of the genus ever found.

As for the source of the measurements I included (not the one from the news):

https://www.deviantart.com/paleonerd01/journal/The-largest-T-rex-specimens-re-examined-849126011 ("Custer" and "Sue")

https://www.reddit.com/r/Naturewasmetal/comments/b6t8hy/skull_reconstructions_of_the_biggest_trex_scotty/ ("Scotty")

Bread

It's a shame really. Another Tyrannosaurus up for sale. Lost to science (possibly).

Now, 2 meters could be exaggerated. The company, Sotheby's, has been known for misinformation, exaggeration, and bad credentials, so take their measurements with a grain of salt.

Ikessauro

They say it measures 2 meters TALL! That does not sound right at all. Maybe they included the size of the "piece", being the dinosaur skull plus stand. That would make more sense.

Hahahah. Do you guys know where "Sorth Dakora" is???   ;D  :))

andrewsaurus rex

very skeptical.  At 2m long it would be over 30% longer than Scotty's and translate to a Rex about 54 feet long.  No way.

Concavenator

avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro maybe you're right. I simply said 2 m "long" because it's impossible for the skull to actually be 2 m tall. 2 m long is still a huge stretch, but at least, it sure makes more sense than 2 m tall!  :o

If 2 m is indeed referred to the skull on a stand, then that was a very dumb and sensationalistic measurement to mention.

Anyways, a real shame this is happening with fossils...

andrewsaurus rex

I missed the 'tall' part.  Has to be referring to the whole display.  Weird way to present it....clearly more intended for people who want a show piece than a fossil.

dyno77

Its not really a huge loss ,since t rex is the most studied dinosaur,and if they really wanted they could arrange planned visit to examine it...
I will mention what is a bigger loss every year is the amount of fossils lost to erosion and other weather conditions.
Its a known fact that more fossils are lost to erosion and landslides than all these other things combined many times over...its mentioned every now and then,but i can only imagine what fossils have been lost forever ever or crumbled to dust or washed away ,esp in remote mountain regions ...

Prehistory Resurrection

[deleted]

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.