You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Undescribed Cryolophosaurus Specimens

Started by Concavenator, May 26, 2023, 11:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

So I was reading the following paper:

Yun, C. (2019). An enigmatic theropod Cryolophosaurus: Reviews and comments on its paleobiology. Volumina Jurassica, 17(1), 103–110

And it says there are indeed undescribed specimens of Cryolophosaurus. Considering its fragmentary status, once they're described they'll probably reshape our image of it. Thought this could be of interest to you folks.

I find Cryolophosaurus to be a fascinating theropod, but with this knowledge in mind I'm on the fence whether to get a figure of it or not. The Creative Beast one will surely be stunning and tempting. And it will purportedly be feathered, which is how I'd like to see it to be represented. But yeah, knowing it could turn out to be outdated...

I know this sometimes happens in paleontology, but there are some cases where I just find it very difficult that our image of certain creatures varies much/anything at all: Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Psittacosaurus, Archaeopteryx, Anchiornis, Centrosaurus, Tyrannosaurus... just to give some examples.

Faelrin

I too would like to know more about this, hopefully in due time, as Cryolophosaurus has been one of my favorite Jurassic period theropods since I was a young kid. Hopefully not as extensive as a change up as what happened with Carnotaurus integument being described in detail a few years back.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

I wonder about the quality of those undescribed specimens. I guess if its apparance will be altered it would mostly have to do with its proportions.

At least it's good to know more remains of this species have indeed been discovered. Wish more remains of other intriguing dinosaurs like Therizinosaurus, Spinosaurus, Deltadromeus or megaraptorids, among others, will also be found and described at some point.

andrewsaurus rex

to collect figures of extinct animals is to risk that those figures turn out to be outdated/wrong.  In fact, I can guarantee that  every figure in everyone's collection is wrong......it's just a matter of how much wrong they are.

Even if those specimens do get described there will still be plenty of gaps in our knowledge...plenty of room for things to be wrong or re-assessed at some later date and new discoveries may come along that change our understanding once again..

Get what you like and be prepared to replace, rework or remove it from your collection eventually.  Or just live with the inaccuracies that exist and use them to show how our understanding has 'evolved'.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.