News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Fembrogon's Bestiary (post-2020)

Started by Fembrogon, January 06, 2022, 10:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

Quote from: suspsy on April 02, 2024, 04:41:37 PMAre you planning to review the Stegodon?
I'm tempted to, but I've let myself fall behind on reviews again so I'm hesitant to commit yet. I'll see about finishing a couple more reviews first and then decide.

Invicta painted series - Liopleurodon

Another beautiful sculpt done new justice with a coat of paint. Although the teeth look a bit messy, the overall color scheme is simple but attractive. It's nice to see a pliosaur that isn't slate-gray or imitating WWD again. There are a few scuffs and scratches I don't think I can get rid of, but somehow "battle scars" just work better on marine animals.

Gwangi

That's one of the only painted Invicta figures I have. I would prefer the monochrome version but this one isn't bad. Painted or not it's still my favorite Liopleurodon figure.

Fembrogon

Invicta Painted Series - Glyptodon

Aren't they cute? ...At least at this scale. To my knowledge our understanding of Glyptodon's appearance hasn't changed much. It's always interesting to see the contrast between reconstructions of dinosaurs and extinct mammals over the years, even knowing the reasons for it. I do like the variation between these two figures; there's a clear difference in paint shades that makes each of them feel unique.

Fembrogon

Thunder Beasts - Dilophosaurus

My goodness, what a big dinosaur this is! I only learned about the Thunder Beasts line fairly recently, having bought Mike Fredericks' Dinosaur Collectibles book a year or two ago. I like the old-school, John Sibbick/Steve Kirk look of this figure, so I nabbed one for what looked like a very good price off Mercari a while back - completely unaware of the figure's actual size (note the 6-inch ruler it's standing on for balance). My, my! I guess I really did get my money's worth.
A couple of proportion and warping issues aside, this guy is pretty cool; again, I really like the period-specific sculpt, and the coloration is beautiful. I just wish it stood a little better.

Fembrogon

Favorite Co. (museum exclusive, 2014) - Tambatitanis

You never know what you might find for a bargain online sometimes. While it's not as big or showy as some other high-valued sauropod figures, the "Tamba Titan" is nonetheless a pretty neat figure. It's a pretty solid reconstruction of a sauropod, at least given the fragmentary nature of the holotype. There are bigger and better sauropod figures out there, though, if you feel compelled to drop a lot of dough on a longneck.

Ludodactylus

Wow, that Thunder Beasts Dilophosaurus is HUGE! That must have been a surprise when it showed up.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.