News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favourite meat-eating dinosaurs

Started by Sim, July 11, 2024, 08:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these are among your favourites?

Acrocanthosaurus
8 (27.6%)
Allosaurus
9 (31%)
Baryonyx
6 (20.7%)
Carnotaurus
13 (44.8%)
Ceratosaurus
13 (44.8%)
Compsognathus
2 (6.9%)
Deinocheirus
11 (37.9%)
Deinonychus
10 (34.5%)
Dilophosaurus
9 (31%)
Giganotosaurus
8 (27.6%)
Oviraptor
4 (13.8%)
Spinosaurus
15 (51.7%)
Stenonychosaurus
2 (6.9%)
Tyrannosaurus
12 (41.4%)
Utahraptor
11 (37.9%)
Velociraptor
3 (10.3%)
Carcharodontosaurus
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Sim

There's a poll for the most popular plant-eating dinosaurs, I think it could be interesting to have a poll for the most popular meat-eating dinosaurs too.

Pliosaurking

Could you add Carcharodontosaurus and Torvosaurus?

Faelrin

Some of my favorite carnivorous (and piscivore) non-avian theropods not included in the poll (some of which I'm surprised were not included):

-Albertosaurus
-Coelophysis
-Concavenator
-Cryolophosaurus
-Dromaeosaurus
-Gorgosaurus
-Guanlong
-Herrerasaurus
-Majungasaurus
-Megalosaurus
-Monolophosaurus
-Microraptor
-Sinosauropteryx
-Suchomimus
-Tarbosaurus
-Yi
-Yutyrannus
-Zhenyuanlong

Edit: Guess I should include terror birds, birds of prey, and penguins too, so those are all technically dinosaurs (based on a point raised by avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres on the plant eating dinosaur post).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

Quote from: Pliosaurking on July 11, 2024, 09:18:06 PMCould you add Carcharodontosaurus and Torvosaurus?
I'm only including what I think are the most widely-known species, species that I think truly can be the most popular.  I would like to vote for Torvosaurus, but I think it just isn't well-known enough to make it into this poll.  I've added Carcharodontosaurus though, I had been considering it before making this poll and I've been swayed to including it.

crazy8wizard

Doing the same for this poll as I did with the plant eating poll, My favorite other carnivores are

Herrerasaurus
Coelophysis
Dilong
Torvosaurus
Teratophoneus
Qianzhousaurus
Acheroraptor
Dromaeosaurus
Majungasaurus
Pectinodon
Suskityrannus
Daemonosaurus
and Yutyrannus

HD-man

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Gwangi

Limiting myself to five I went with...

Ceratosaurus
Deinocheirus
Deinonychus
Dilophosaurus
Tyrannosaurus

Concavenator

Went with Allosaurus, Deinonychus, Dilophosaurus, Deinocheirus and Carnotaurus. I like Utahraptor and Acrocanthosaurus too, though I'm not sure I'd call them favorites of mine.

stargatedalek

Wouldn't Oviraptor and Deinocheirus be primarily herbivorous (Oviraptor in particular)?

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 12, 2024, 10:24:44 PMWouldn't Oviraptor and Deinocheirus be primarily herbivorous (Oviraptor in particular)?
Well, the Oviraptor holotype was found with a lizard in its stomach, which is interpreted as having been eaten by the Oviraptor.  Similarly, Deinocheirus has been found to have fish remains preserved in its stomach which is again interpreted as food for the species.

Saarlooswolfhound

(Going a little off script) Spinosaurus, Allosaurus, Majungasaurus, Metriacanthosaurus, Utahraptor are my 5 top.

But I chose spino as my #1 for the poll. :D

JimoAi

I'm really sorry for this but I'll go with Tyrannosaurus BUT it includes only the scientifically accurate reconstructions none of the JP BS

JimoAi

my current top 10 favourite dinosaurs

Honourable mentions: Edmontosaurus regalis, Carcharodontosaurus saharicus, Zuul crurivastator, Alamosaurus sanjuanensis,Jakapil kaniukura, Concavenator corcovatus, Yutyrannus huali

10. Saurophagonax maximus
9. Utahraptor ostrommaysi
8. Nasutoceratops titusi
7. Therizinosaurus cheloniformis
6. Spinosaurus aegypticus
5. Dreadnoughous schrani
4. Nanuqsaurus hoglundi
3. Tyrannosaurus rex
2: Brachiosaurus altithorax
1: Ankylosaurus magniventris

EmperorDinobot

Is Stenonychosaurus valid again? It was a wastebasket taxon for a while.

Sim

I don't think Stenonychosaurus was ever a wastebasket taxon.  It was considered a junior synonym of Troodon for a while, but recent study has shown Troodon is not diagnostic and so Stenonychosaurus has become valid again.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.