News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The physics of the Chicxulub tsunami

Started by Halichoeres, August 14, 2024, 06:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

This physics article models the height of the tsunami generated by the end-Cretaceous Chicxulub impact, which had 30,000 times as much energy as the destructive 2004 tsunami. The authors checked the predictions of their model by comparing actual erosion values from sediments of the same age around the world.

Here's a map of tsunami height. Almost the entire Pacific rim is around 10 meters or more, although it obviously attenuates pretty quickly before getting too far inland.

They also tease a follow-up steady where they plan to estimate coastal flooding.

Open access: https://pubs.aip.org/physicstoday/article/77/8/54/3304682/The-tsunami-triggered-by-the-Chicxulub-impactThe
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

I can only imagine how devastating that tsunami would have been... Scary to think.

Papi-Anon

History's greatest surfing moment.

And no surfers were around to catch the literal killer waves.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.