News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Massive storage woes

Started by EmperorDinobot, June 19, 2015, 09:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorDinobot

My collection has reached a critical point.

My plan to stave off the population problem is to buy planks and attach them to the sides of book-cases that do not have another book-case or a wall on one or either side. Has anyone attempted this? It's gonna look ugly as a Dsungaripterus, but I really can't fit anything anymore.

Another plan is to sell off my Bionicles as they occupy two cases, but I'm...emotionally attached. I could just bag 'em for now until I win the lottery and can afford a museum.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Selling dinosaurs is not an option.

Blade-of-the-Moon

If you have the funds and space I would suggest an out building some sort, wouldn't be hard to rig a few lights in there.  The thing is as we continue to collect some items have to go to make way for others. My dino collection has been pushing out my other interests years. At some point dinosaurs will have taken over everything then some of them will have to go. :/

Pawnosuchus

I have an outbuilding(three car garage) with one side dedicated to my collection.  Even with that I have to narrow down what I keep displayed there.  The ones that don't make the cut get sold or end up  boxed in the basement.  I often end up keeping just one favorite of each species although there are quite a few herds or figures I just couldn't eliminate.  Check it out under collections-Page 2 Pawns world.  It may not be the best collection but the display is one of a kind.

stargatedalek

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on June 19, 2015, 09:01:45 AMMy plan to stave off the population problem is to buy planks and attach them to the sides of book-cases that do not have another book-case or a wall on one or either side. Has anyone attempted this? It's gonna look ugly as a Dsungaripterus, but I really can't fit anything anymore.
I've done this in a way. Attaching simple bracket shelves to the sides of two book cases to make one larger one with extra shelf space. Of course these same shelves can be attached to the walls themselves much more easily, but that doesn't offer as much support for weight as being attached on two sides.

CityRaptor

Well, you know my answer regarding your non-Dinosaurs.

Have you tried a some kind of type case for smaller figures? I use one for small figures like Kaiyodos, Dinosaur King JP Diecasts and also my Godzilla Sakai Dioramas. Something like these:

http://www.moviesathome.de/U-Eier/Bilder/bilder.html

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Libraraptor

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on June 19, 2015, 09:01:45 AM

Selling dinosaurs is not an option.

I appreciate you deciding this!
As for the storage problems, I understand you very well. Luckily I do have some roof beams above my balcony, so I can put at least the more robust rubber ones such as AAA there.
Do you have this opportunity, too?

Halichoeres

Homie, the answer to overpopulation is spaying and neutering your pets. In seriousness, though--I have many fewer dinosaurs than you, so I don't have much problem making them fit, but I notice that there is plenty of empty space in the top half of my shelves. In other words, they're designed for books but your average dinosaur is shorter than your average book. I think the kind of shelving CityRaptor suggests would work well for miniatures, and for your standard size Safari, a case designed for CDs or DVDs--more shelves, closer together--might help to make more room vertically.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

I hate to keep saying--but IKEA has always been my go to. They have a variety of cases and cabinets, the shelves and spaces are modular, you can get doors for many of them, and you can often purchase extra shelves and lighting as needed.

And you can literally line entire rooms with them if you want. Plus, the satisfaction of building them yourself, with only minimal amounts of blood, sweat, tears and curse words.

Takama

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on June 19, 2015, 09:01:45 AM

Another plan is to sell off my Bionicles as they occupy two cases, but I'm...emotionally attached. I could just bag 'em for now until I win the lottery and can afford a museum.

I know how you feel. I had to go through a therapist meeting when i had to give away my Bionicles for the sake of Dinosaurs.   But that was when i thought they were never coming back. Now i have the new Toa Team, but i have no desire to expand it any more.   Out of all the old Bionicles i kept. I kept the Large Mata Nui, as it was the God in there universe, and it was a Suvinere from my trip to Denver.   Maybe you can keep one Toa Team to remember them by like i do.

EmperorDinobot

The garage is out of the question because it's...well...it's kind of The Store. Lulu's Mesozoic Emporium is in the garage. I am not going to sell my Bionicles, but I will sack them. I will just quit buying Batman stuff and focusing on the gaps and holes still left from the old stuff. There's always been space for that. But dinosaurs are always gonna keep finding their way here. There's just no stopping it.

I'm just gonna engineer some side shelvings on the sides of the book cases. So far I only have 4 free sides. They are not very wide, or in this case, long, but I can just build them close to one another as most dinosaurs tend to be small, and put the big ones on top. I am concerned about weight though. And the fact that I live next to a highly transited road. Trucks pass by making the ground shake.

I need to figure out how to bypass the island's instability problems.

deanm

I second Sean on IKEA.  For the time, cost, effort and overall "making the collection look good" look they are the best solution.

Have a look in my collection thread for the billy bookcases. I added the doors to keep the dust out.

CityRaptor

Ah, the good old Billy bookcases. Im also using them, but for small models, I still suggest type cases.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.