News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Each Brand's best models in the market

Started by Concavenator, July 16, 2013, 01:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Hi people :),
In this new topic we discuss each company's best models available in the market.In my opinion:
Papo:
-The best Allosaurus.
-The best Carnotaurus.
-The best Tyrannosaurus rex(the running one).
-The best Styracosaurus.
-The best Pachyrhinosaurus.
-The best Dimetrodon.

CollectA:
There are a great number of exotic,cool,new,dinosaurs they have released,but in mymopinion,the most important ones:
-The best Deinocheirus
-The best Carcharodontosaurus
-The best Megacerops & Deinotherium.
-The best Diplodocus.
-The best Amargasaurus
-The best Pachycephalosaurus.
-The best Parasaurolophus(the Deluxe one,I mean).

Carnegie:
-The best Concavenator.
-The best Cryolophosaurus.
-The best Giganotosaurus.
-The best Spinosaurus.
-The best Ichthyosaurus.

Wild Safari:
-The best Diabloceratops.
-The best Gryposaurus.
-The best Dimorphodon.
-The best Elasmosaurus.
-The best Gastornis.
All the ws 2013 releases are for me all "bests in the maket".
-The best Acrocanthosaurus.
-The best Dracorex.
And more.

Bullyland:
-The best Therizinosaurus.

Schleich:
Puffff...Maybe the best Saichania.

Möjo:
The best prehistoric mammals(excepting Megacerops & Deinotherium)Still doubting on getting their prehistoric mammals or not.The Daeodon looks nice.

tyrantqueen

I don't agree. CollectA have not made the best Diplodocus. Their Diplodocus is nice, don't get me wrong, but have you even seen Battat's?

No competition.

Also, I hate Safari Ltd's new Acrocanthosaurus. Again, the Battat one is better. Also, Schleich Saichania doesn't even look like a Saichania. Saichania is supposed to have armour around its legs. Their "Saichania" works better as a generic ankylosaur.

tyrantqueen

Looking back on my post, I sound a bit mean. You have a right to your own opinion and I respect that :) So I apologise.

Gwangi

I agree that Battat holds the title for best Diplodocus, with the newer Carnegie model coming in second. However I must disagree about the Acrocanthosaurus, I prefer the Safari model over the Battat, even with its giant feet. The Battat Acro seems to have stability issues and I hate it when models cannot stand on their own. The pose is also uninspired and I don't care for the green-on-green paint job. That said it is still an excellent model, one of few for Acrocanthosaurus.

As for some others...

Tyrannosaurus: Battat
Allosaurus: Papo
Amargasaurus: Carnegie
Giganotosaurus: Carnegie
Spinosaurus: Carnegie
Ichthyosaurus: Carnegie
Therizinosaurus: CollectA
Baryonyx: Invicta
Stegosaurus: Wild Safari
Triceratops: Battat
Dilophosaurus: Wild Safari
Pteranodon: Bullyland

Well, that's a few anyway. Notice I'm mostly considering mass produced "toys" outside of Japan as the Japanese companies like Kaiyodo really do blow most of these out of the water. As do kits and sculptures etc.

With Schleich I don't think they have a lot of "bests" but their Macrauchenia is one of them and a must have for any prehistoric mammal collector.

tyrantqueen

Gwangi

In all fairness I don't own either the Battat or Safari Acro so I'm posting my opinion only as someone who has seen pictures. That means I'm not really aware of the texture stamping on the Safari model but I do have the Ceratosaurus and love it and I'm sure they did the same thing. I would like to own both Acros and I intend on getting the Safari version soon, the Battat may take some time.

As for the CollectA Diplodocus. It mostly looks good to me with only a few problems but those problems do really bother me. Firstly I don't care for the color scheme, particularly on the head which seems to be very popular with CollectA lately. Mostly though I'm bothered by the neck which looks far too thin and spaghetti-like. I hear it has a problem with kinks in the neck too and though you can use the hot/cold treatment I find every figure I do that to eventually reverts back to its original form. For those reasons I have not made getting one a priority but will probably end up with one eventually. It was one of the best releases this year from CollectA and I do like it's posture, the long whip-like tail and the anatomically correct feet.

tyrantqueen

QuoteMostly though I'm bothered by the neck which looks far too thin and spaghetti-like. I hear it has a problem with kinks in the neck too and though you can use the hot/cold treatment I find every figure I do that to eventually reverts back to its original form.
Yeah, my Diplodocus was deformed when I received it (it was squashed into a too small box, thus deforming the neck and head) I think it's more to do with how the figure is stored than anything else.

In all fairness I don't own either the Battat or Safari Acro so I'm posting my opinion only as someone who has seen pictures. That means I'm not really aware of the texture stamping on the Safari model but I do have the Ceratosaurus and love it and I'm sure they did the same thing. I would like to own both Acros and I intend on getting the Safari version soon, the Battat may take some time.
Yup, I also own the Safari Ceratosaurus and it does have texture stamping. I'm afraid I don't like that model either. Do you think you'd like the Battat Ceratosaurus more if it had, say, a paint job more like this?

(Not my photo.)

Gwangi

That paint job is a serious improvement on the Battat Ceratosaurus. That is something I would like to own, the original...not so much. It is not just the color though. To me the Battat Ceratosaurus looks like its head is too small and legs too beefy. I dunno, I guess it really does all come down to personal preference. I'll take over sized feet if it means stability (my Safari Allosaurus has started tipping over unfortunately) and I guess the texture stamping does not bother me. The Safari Ceratosaurus may be texture stamped but the attention to detail and paintwork is wonderful. There is a painted tongue inside the mouth, even a throat hole which they certainly did not have to add. The small details like the eyes and teeth are painted without barely any paint runoff or sloppy application. There is even a cloaca on the thing. To me these details outweigh the negatives.

John

Choosing the best is always difficult sometimes,but to me it's some of these:

Carnegie:
-The best Concavenator.
-The best Cryolophosaurus.
-The best Carnotaurus (2011 version)
-The best Dimetrodon (2001 version)
-The best Ichthyosaurus.
-The best mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius)
-The best Brachiosaurus (2012 version)

Wild Safari:
-The best Diabloceratops.
-The best Dimorphodon.
-The best Elasmosaurus.

The Natural History Museum,London (Invicta)
-The best Glyptodon
-The best Liopleurodon

The Museum of Science,Boston
-The best Tyrannosaurus (all versions)

Ral Partha Pewter (Iron Wind Metals)
-The best Ceratosaurus

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tyrantqueen

Here's mine. I decided to just stick to toys, because there are so many model kits and it would get pretty complicated.

-Carnegie-
Giganotosaurus
Camarasaurus
Miragaia
Tylosaurus
Oviraptor
Beipiaosaurus
Carnotaurus

-Papo-
Pachyrhinosaurus
Dimetrodon
Allosaurus
Styracosaurus
I like Paposaurs a lot, but it's hard to make a comparison because many of their dinosaurs are movie monsters, not realistic animals.

-Battat-
Diplodocus
Tyrannosaurus rex (3rd)
Parasaurolophus

-CollectA-
Jobaria
Hatzegopteryx
Maybe the new Carcharodontosaurus.
Can't really think of that many off the top of my head right now...I'm not really a huge CollectA fan to be honest. They have potential, but usually end up missing the mark with their sculpts.

-Safari Ltd-
Velociraptor
Brachiosaurus
Tapejara
Nigersaurus
I'm pretty sure the sculptor for these models was the same person. Bring him/her back 8)

-Bullyland-
Stegosaurus

Favorite Ltd
Triceratops (2nd resin statue)
Deinonychus (or was it a velociraptor? :-[ I don't know)

allosoddingaurus

I'm not sure I've ever posted to this forum before (I love reading it, I've just never had anything to add), but it's hard to resist contributing to this thread. So I won't sulk in the background this time.

CARNEGIE:
Giganotosaurus
Diplodocus
Ankylosaurus
Carnotaurus*
Corythosaurus
Miragaia

WILD SAFARI:
Brachiosaurus
Stegosaurus
Triceratops
Dilophosaurus
Gryposaurus
Nigersaurus

PAPO:
Carnotaurus*
Allosaurus*

COLLECTA:
Psittacosaurus
Therizinosaurus

SCHLEICH:
Parasaurolophus (the older 2007 replica-saurus version)

FAVORITE/KINTO:
Tyrannosaurus (recent 2012 version, running/unfeathered)
Allosaurus (2012 version)
Velociraptor
Deinonychus
Styracosaurus (2012 version)
Spinosaurus (2012 version)

NOTES:
1. I can't decide between the Papo and the Carnegie Carnotaurus. I also can't decide between the 2012 Kinto/Favorite and the Papo Allosaurus.
2. I'm sure that the Carnegie Spinosaurus is better than the 2012 Favorite, but I don't have the former to compare.
3. I wish there were an Apatosaurus I loved!
4. The only reason no Battat is listed is because I'm just not sufficiently familiar with these figures. They look amazing, but I only know them through pictures.
5. Yes, I actually listed a Schleich model. (Horrors.) But I quite like the big Parasaurolophus they put out several years ago.
6. I would normally always preferred feathered dinosaurs over unfeathered dinosaurs (where appropriate), but I like the unfeathered 2012 Kinto/Favorite T-Rex more than the feathered, for reasons that have nothing to do with the feathers.
7. It's hard to settle on a best T-Rex, not because there are too many good ones, but it seems like there are too few.
8. CollectA dinosaurs...not a fan. (Their recent extant wildlife is awesome.)

postsaurischian

:) Hm, I'd like to join.
Only rubber & plastic toy figures.
I'm excluding Kaiyodo and similar other Japanese companies (although they're on top of my list - as some might know). That would be too much ^-^ ;D.
Also mammals are being excluded here.

Each species appears only one time.

Battat:
- Diplodocus (tyrantqueen - your excuse was well-intentioned, but there cannot be two opinions ;D)
- Edmontonia
- Gallimimus
- Maiasaura
- Ouranosaurus
- Pachycephalosaurus
- Parasaurolophus
- Styracosaurus
- Triceratops
- Tyrannosaurus

Bullyland:
- Arizonasaurus
- Batrachotomus
- Edaphosaurus
- Liliensternus
- Mastodonsaurus
- Parathypothorax
- Procynosuchus
- Pteranodon
(sitting version)

Carnegie Collection:
- Amargasaurus
- Ankylosaurus
- Beipiaosaurus
- Brachiosaurus
(2012)
- Carnotaurus (2012)
- Caudipteryx
- Cryolophosaurus
- Giganotosaurus
- Ichthyosaurus

- Miragaia
- Spinosaurus
(2009)
- Tylosaurus

CollectA:
- Ampelosaurus
- Attenborosaurus
- Herrerasaurus
- Hydrotherosaurus
- Minmi
- Plateosaurus
- Rhomaleosaurus
- Utahceratops

Favorite Collection Softmodels:
- Ankylosaurus Euoplocephalus (1st series)
- Deinonychus (1st series)
- Plesiosaurus (2nd series)
- Saurolophus (2nd series museum model)
- Stegosaurus (1st series)

Invicta:
- Baryonyx
- Cetiosaurus
- Dimetrodon
- Iguanodon
:)
- Lambeosaurus
- Muttaburrasaurus
- Scelidosaurus

Papo:
- Allosaurus
- Oviraptor
:)
- Pachyrhinosaurus

Schleich:
- Desmatosuchus
- Shonisaurus

Toyway WWD:
- Leaellynasaura
- Liopleurodon
- Polacanthus

Wild Safari:
- Apatosaurus (2010)
- Dimorphodon
- Dracorex
- Edmontosaurus
- Elasmosaurus
- Gryposaurus
- Inostrancevia
- Kaprosuchus
- Kentrosaurus
- Nigersaurus
- Postosuchus
- Rhamphorhynchus
- Scutosaurus
- Leptoceratops
- Tapejara
- Vagaceratops
- Velociraptor
(2008) :)

Crackington

Inpro - best Brontosaurus...

...in 1972!  ;D

Brontozaurus

How are we defining 'market'? Stuff that's being made now or everything that's available including older things on ebay?
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Crackington

Interesting point Brontozaurus...

Judging by people's responses, it seems to be anything available now anywhere. Brands no longer in production are commonly mentioned (e.g. Battat and Invicta) as well as particular discontinued models (e.g. Bullyland Edaphosaurus). I actually got this Inpro Bronto through a trade in the old forum classified threads, so I think that counts as a market.   

Although obviously not in the same class as most of the brands above, Inpro were fun dinosaur toys in the 1970s, with occasional surprises like rarely produced figures such as Saltoposuchus. Here's another ropey snap of them:

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.