You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which Schleich Quetzalcoatlus is the best?

Started by Megalosaurus, August 21, 2013, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megalosaurus

Hi there.
I'm trying to get the best Schleich figures. Now i need your advice to choose one of this 4 Schleich Quetzalcoatlus. i know most of them are out of production but i think i can still grab them all.
Which is your favorite and why?

1) 14506

2) 16417

3) 16463

4) 14518

Thanks for reading.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

I have #2, and I like it because of its straight neck and big wingspan, but I have a feeling that the head is wrong (shouldn't it have a bigger crest?) I like #3, for its big size and colouration, but the neck puts me off.

I don't like the colouration Schleich used for #4, it looks very inappropriate for a giant predatory pterosaur :-[

So overall, I choose #3 (ironic, since I don't even own this figure yet)

Takama

radman

Turret

I like the head and neck of 1 and 2 but I'll go with 3 for my favurite for its coloration.

wings

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 21, 2013, 09:53:59 PM
I have #2, and I like it because of its straight neck and big wingspan, but I have a feeling that the head is wrong (shouldn't it have a bigger crest?)...
It seems like all the heads (1-4) are based off Sibbick's painting (which has incorporated an undescribed specimen TMM 42489-2, it probably belongs to the Azhdarchidae family but certainly not a Quetzalcoatlus). See  http://pterosaur-net.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/tmm-42489-2-hypersonic-uberbass-slide.html for detail.

paleoferroequine

Not that it helps deciding, but #3/#4 does provide a basis for an improved Azhdarchidae model. This is about 4 years ago so maybe not up to date but better.

I shortened the body, extended the wings, straightened the neck and made it longer, worked on the skull and mandible, claws, and finally added pycnofibers with electro static fibers to the body and neck.

amargasaurus cazaui

I know you stated Schleich in the title of the thread, but just throwing it out there. Our Aaron Dooley from the forum sculpted a stunning Quetz that is for sale on Shapeways and is a superb rendition. Just a thought and sorry to disrupt.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Megalosaurus

Thank you very much to all of you.
Now i'm just trying to decide between #2 and #3.

Quote from: paleoferroequine on August 22, 2013, 07:22:54 PM

Awesome customization! What tool did you use to reshape the head? Or is it a complete resculpt?
I think it will be easier to customise #2.

Still hearing opinions.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 22, 2013, 10:22:41 PM
I know you stated Schleich in the title of the thread, but just throwing it out there. Our Aaron Dooley from the forum sculpted a stunning Quetz that is for sale on Shapeways and is a superb rendition. Just a thought and sorry to disrupt.
Huh, I thought his name was Aaron Doyle? Anyway, I agree, I think his Quetzalcoatlus is probably the best depiction out there, it's magnificent.

amargasaurus cazaui

You Are likely correct, a typographical error for sure !!!! Sorry Aaron....its still an awesome pterosaur though
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tanystropheus

My favourite is #4 and that's the one I own. It is the best Quetz from an artistic perspective. It is very peculiar in the sense that the Quetz was designed to emulate a monarch butterfly. The print on the wings is very good. Inspired by artistic, and out-of-the box thinking. Probably not too realistic, but a fun depiction, nevertheless.

I also like #2 but it is very hard to find. It is a very solid Quetz, IMO. I was looking all over ebay for a decently priced #2, but no success. The neck arrangement is the best.

#3 looks like Skullomania from the Street Fighter EX series :o ....it looks like a Quetz wearing pajamas.

#1 looks like a Happy Meal collectible.

tyrantqueen

Another good Quetzalcoatlus figure is the Quetzalcoatlus Museum model:

Sadly it's hard to find this model with the base included, but you can find it on eBay without a base if you're desperate.

Everything_Dinosaur

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 21, 2013, 09:53:59 PM
I have #2, and I like it because of its straight neck and big wingspan, but I have a feeling that the head is wrong (shouldn't it have a bigger crest?) I like #3, for its big size and colouration, but the neck puts me off.

I don't like the colouration Schleich used for #4, it looks very inappropriate for a giant predatory pterosaur :-[

So overall, I choose #3 (ironic, since I don't even own this figure yet)

Crest size might relate to different aged specimens with only fully mature ones developing a large crest, or indeed large crest size may only be associated with males as with other members of the Pterodactyloidea crest size might be a trait of sexual dimorphism.  I think there is a growing body of evidence to suggest that a number of genera Azhdarchidae had soft tissue crests  as well.

Megalosaurus

Hello.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
I decide to get #2, and i won it in an auction. The reason is that its beak is more pointed than #3 and its neck is more natural. So i'll just add a bigger crest and repaint a Little to get a nicer Quetzalcoatlus.

But...
May be i'll get #3 also.

Roselaar

I like 2 fine (though the paint job is rather bland), but I prefer 3 for its paint job and  more intricate sculpt. The only thing that bugs me about that one is the short wingspan.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Roselaar on September 21, 2013, 06:55:10 PM
I like 2 fine (though the paint job is rather bland), but I prefer 3 for its paint job and  more intricate sculpt. The only thing that bugs me about that one is the short wingspan.

I couldn't resist the temptation to get #3 also. So here is it:

It looks much better in person. May be i'll took a comparison shoot soon.

Libraraptor

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.