News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Ooh, shiny!

Started by Sumo, April 12, 2012, 09:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sumo

The monochrome thread got me thinking... (don't you hate it when that happens? ;D)
There are some models that have all but monochrome paintjobs to begin with, and just look dull. However, if you  try to repaint them it becomes clear that a richly shaded, elaborate color makes them look even worse. So what to do?

Well, how about this?

It was the small Schleich rex that gave me the idea. It's so hopelessly outdated it's almost cool, while at the same time being a really unappealing shade of crap brown. He thinks the metallics make him look more sophisticated. :)) I was going for a sort of "oil slick" effect, but don't think I quite succeeded... he'll be touched up at some point.

The Collecta Styracosaurus I think turned out better. Of course it's a really nice model to begin with, and the great thing about the pose is it looks cool from every angle. Come to think of it, I should've gone with a round base.
The basecoat is GW's "tin" (really a darkish bronze color) mixed with metallic green, black gesso, and then a little white to dull it down. Over that I drybrushed bronze with added copper and gold to try and bring out all the surface detail, something the camera completely refuses to show.

[attachment msg=5728][/attachment]
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

DinoToyForum

Very nice work! I looked at the pictures before I read your post, it took a few moments to recognise them  :))

Himmapaan

Bronze effects + bases = instant uplift for poor toys!  ;D

Weaver

Wow, these look like bronzes! Love the effect, especially on the ol' T. rex. This is a neat idea. ;)

copper

these are absolutely great!

CityRaptor

Talk about enhancements. From horribly outdated to Retro Classic!
Seeing the Schleich Rex like that nearly makes me regret not picking it up when I saw it for cheap. But only nearly...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ZoPteryx

You could turn drab toys into trophies!  Really cool! :o

Primeval12

You should sell those, all I can say is wow.

Sumo

Thanks, everyone! I may eventually make some for sale, we'll see.
I do have a Collecta Dilophosaurus that's nice and wrinkly and could do with a new look... ;D
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

Gryphoceratops

Primeval12

I think you should make them with dinosaurs more on the inaccurate side so they look older.

Sumo

That could work, I have some nice Bullyland minis that look like they're from about 1930... the trike is practically Knightian.
- Dr Darren Naish

Sumo

Today's addition: Collecta Stegosaurus.
Obviously he had to be greenish with red plates, who am I to argue with the most pervasive paleoart meme?  ;D

[attachment msg=5973][/attachment]
- Dr Darren Naish

Himmapaan

Where do you find these wonderful bases?

Sumo

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 14, 2012, 08:25:14 PM
They're not as wonderful as you think... All three are really made from plain, untreated white wood and I got them quite cheaply in my local hobby shop. The first two I painted, woodgrain pattern and all (painting wood to look like wood... yeah, that makes perfect sense). The Stego's base had holes in it, presumably meant to be used as a sign of some sort, and filling them was a bit of a hassle. However, it had much better texture than the other two, which meant I could dye it with a couple washes of acrylic burnt sienna rather than go through the whole process of painting it from scratch.  I finished all three with a coat of GW sepia wash mixed with gloss, and happily it seems to work fine on wood.
- Dr Darren Naish

Takama

Quote from: Sumo on April 14, 2012, 07:58:31 PM
Today's addition: Collecta Stegosaurus.
Obviously he had to be greenish with red plates, who am I to argue with the most pervasive paleoart meme?  ;D

Did that used to be the original black one?

or was it the newer one released this year

ITewan

I really like the Styracosaurus and the Stegosaurus! :)
im a lil tired and a lil hungry

Himmapaan

Quote from: Sumo on April 14, 2012, 08:40:58 PM
Quote from: Himmapaan on April 14, 2012, 08:25:14 PM
They're not as wonderful as you think... All three are really made from plain, untreated white wood and I got them quite cheaply in my local hobby shop. The first two I painted, woodgrain pattern and all (painting wood to look like wood... yeah, that makes perfect sense). The Stego's base had holes in it, presumably meant to be used as a sign of some sort, and filling them was a bit of a hassle. However, it had much better texture than the other two, which meant I could dye it with a couple washes of acrylic burnt sienna rather than go through the whole process of painting it from scratch.  I finished all three with a coat of GW sepia wash mixed with gloss, and happily it seems to work fine on wood.
Ah, so it was you who made them wonderful.  ;D Excellent.

Seijun

Paint an old carnegie brachiosaurus in faux bronze!
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.