News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Is Brontosaurus back?

Started by Chad, September 05, 2014, 02:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leidy

oh well, at least I saw it as it was. 

I'm still sorry I didn't get to see the Carnegie museum before their renovation.  Kept putting it off.  If nothing else I would've liked to see an upright T.rex skeleton in person.  I've been in the revamped hall and it's spectacular, but there's something about the atmosphere of old museums.

... if there's one dinosaur hall in need of a revamp, it's the British NHM.  Compared to photos of how the exhibits used to be, it just seems so trashy.

laticauda

Brontosaurus is back, I hope so....but what do we do with that Apatosaurus. OK, So if this Brontosaurus is a different species, the original Brontosaurus would still be Apatasaurus, while the new Brontosaurus which would be realted to old Brontosaurus which is Apatosaurus.

History lesson:  During the Bone Wars, Marsh found a long neck saurapod missing a head, he dubbed it Apatosaurus, and put on Camarasaurus.  Since he was competing against Cope, he was in a rush to publish.  Two years later a more complete saurapod was found and Marsh thought it was a new species, which he dubbed Brontosaurus.  By trying to one up Cope, he didn't realize that he named the same animal twice.  It wasn't until 1979 that the correct head was placed on the Carnegie Apatosaurus.

laticauda

So I finished listining to the interview, which was awesome, but there appears to be structural differences between Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus.  I can't tell you which is which, other than what was said about the size of the snout, brain case, well head.  So stay tuned, there could be some really cool stuff coming out soon about diplodocids.  Including what types of sound they might have made. :)

triceratops83

I'll just wait for Greg Paul to come and lump 'em back together...
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Arul

Takama

Oh but its name is still used in a different Genera

Ever heard of Eobrontosaurus?

laticauda

Quote from: Takama on January 08, 2015, 01:22:42 AM
Oh but its name is still used in a different Genera

Ever heard of Eobrontosaurus?

Ah yes the "Dawn Thunder Lizard", If I am correct wasn't Eobrontosaurus original name Apatosaurus Exceilsus and Bakker changed it.  So,  during the interview he would be referring to both of them as they are the same, right?

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.