News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Do you paint your plants?

Started by DarkPhantom, April 05, 2015, 04:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkPhantom

I've been working on a diorama based on my T-Rex family, with a herd of triceratops.

Quote from: DarkPhantom on March 29, 2015, 12:28:54 AM

But the more I work on it, the more I notice that the small plastic trees just don't look real. I'm putting a lot of effort into this project and I want it to look good. Does anyone here paint their trees to make it look more realistic?

Here's some examples:

Especially this shot, the ferns just look fake:

Oh, and the background will come later. That's my shop in the background, or cardboard in some shots, lol.

Any tips are appreciated!!!!

Pachyrhinosaurus

I haven't made any dioramas with big plants yet, however I don't see how some dry-brushing could hurt. Now that I think of it, I did paint some plastic leaves for a base I never finished. The painted leaf was brown so that it looked like it had fallen from a plant.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

MIXVS MINIMAX

Plants painting should be done when it looks to plastic like.
I would cove the Iceland-moose with a layer of Oregano. That suits bushes very good. Paint it with darkgreen und drybrusch it with lighter green and yellow. Withe the same procedure You can treat the palms. Give the trunks also a wash with light brown. As the last step You can paint flat transparent paint allover the palm leafs.

Happy easter.

Dinomike

Hi! I repainted my Safari tree. I'll try to remember to post a öic of it. I used acrylics.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

DarkPhantom

Thank you all so much!

Happy Easter and Passover!

DarkPhantom

Quote from: Dinomike on April 05, 2015, 02:17:12 PM
Hi! I repainted my Safari tree. I'll try to remember to post a öic of it. I used acrylics.

Yes, a picture, if you have one, would be great! Thank you!

Dinomike

Hi! Here's the repainted Safari Conifer I made. I added some dry brushing on the base as well as the trunk. I also darkened the foliage.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

DarkPhantom

Quote from: Dinomike on April 06, 2015, 07:28:44 PM
Hi! Here's the repainted Safari Conifer I made. I added some dry brushing on the base as well as the trunk. I also darkened the foliage.

Oh cool! Thank you for sharing!

Arul

Wow great diorama with awesome figure  ;)

DarkPhantom

Quote from: ARUL on April 07, 2015, 10:06:30 AM
Wow great diorama with awesome figure  ;)

Thank you! I'm still working on it, and I plan to post it as a whole when it's finished. All the figures have been painted, but I'm debating because I have a Torosaurus in the middle of my Triceratops herd. Currently I have them painted the same, but I have considered a different paint job on it to make it look like the a rogue Torosaurus joined in the Triceratops herd for protection.

Also in the herd are a family of Orodromeus as well as a family of Cerasinops.

A few random animals like a Emarginachelys, an early snapping turtle, and the American Alligator, which aside from the giant Sarcosuchus, were also prevalent at the time. I want to make it as realistic as possible, which is why I had wondered about the painted trees in the first place.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions, I greatly appreciate it!