You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

If a Dinosaur was laying eggs while being attacked

Started by Takama, March 21, 2015, 06:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

What would it do? would it be able to hold the unlayed eggs in its rear? Or will they fall out as it were trying to escape and/or defend its nest.

I have a surprise Diorama in the talks  and i would like the answer to that qustion

stargatedalek

Birds generally seem to be able to hold onto them until they find themselves ready, but if it got caught in the act I don't know how it would react. I know lizards and (in particular) turtles are very vulnerable while laying eggs, but I'm not sure how relevant that is either.

Takama

You know what, i cant keep this idea locked up.    I plan on commissioning a Omeisaurus getting attacked by a pack of Gasosaurus while laying her eggs.

Here is the back story i came up for it.  I would like to know if anything implausible.

a Herd of Omeisaurus wanders through a clear field, as they all prepare to lay their eggs, but one individual has unknowingly Isolated herself due to illness. She is a female, and is ready to lay her eggs as well. As an act of instinct, she starts digging a hole to bury her clutch. Eventually, she starts to lay her eggs, however, little does she know, is that a pack of hungry Gassosaurus.
The Gassosaurus have been watching the herd for a while. They are in need of food, but attacking one Omeisaurus among the others is risky on their part. fortunately, the sick individual that isolated herself has made the perfect target. Slowly, one of the Gassosaurus starts to approach the nesting herbivore.
At around 11 meters long, she is not that hard of a challenge for the pack of five 4 meter long carnivores. Eventually the Gassosaurus catch up to her. and the mother sense their presence, however, she is unable to move as she is in the process of laying her clutch. The first Gasosaurus to arrive Runs around to her side, to avoid her long tail, and starts to rip a chunk of flesh from the sauropods thigh, causing her to bellow in pain. Another Gasosaurus, uses a  similar tactic, and runs around to the other side of the sauropod and leaps onto her flank, this startles the giant, and causes her to change position, and lay an egg out of the nest. a third Gasosaurus runs right over to get a taste of the mother, but he was then struck by the sauropods long tail, breaking his neck on impacted

Dinoguy2

I thought that there was a decent amount of active pushing involved in laying eggs, like giving birth, but I could be wrong... Pretty sure they wouldn't just keep falling out.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

laticauda

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 21, 2015, 11:05:10 PM
I thought that there was a decent amount of active pushing involved in laying eggs, like giving birth, but I could be wrong... Pretty sure they wouldn't just keep falling out.

Omeisaurus would be vulnerable while egg laying but I agree, the eggs would not continue coming out if under attack.  Now some mammals will abort their fetus will under duress from a predator, but thats a different story..

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.