News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

British Dinosaur Figures

Started by Wellnhoferia, September 01, 2015, 01:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wellnhoferia

Does anybody know of any British Dinosaur species that have been made into models, especially more obscure genera? Or know anybody that make models of those not already made?

Saurian

WWD polacanthus,collecta scelidosaurus ;)
Soory,my English is poor

Halichoeres

Lots of British species have been made. This is not a complete list, but the first ones that spring to mind are:

Baryonyx
Becklespinax
Cetiosaurus
Dacentrurus
Eustreptospondylus
Eotyrannus
Hypsilophodon
Iguanodon
Neovenator
Polacanthus

And non-dinosaurs:
Attenborosaurus
Dimorphodon
Ichthyosaurus
Plesiosaurus

And, I'm sure, many others.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Everybody has of course done an Iguanodon. Baryonyx is pretty common too. Carnegie had decent sculpts of both.

I'm particularly fond of Collecta's "Hypsilophodon Family".

Safari has a pterosaur model that is frustratingly titled simply "Pterosaur", though it's obviously some sort of ornithocheirid, so with a little imagination, you could have it stand in for Ornithocheirus itself.

All of these are approximately 1:40 scale, if you care about that sort of thing.

Safari and Carnegie also have a Dimorphodon and an Ichthyosaurus, respectively, though they are not in scale with the others on this list.

Dilopho

There's a lot of Baryonyx figures around. Wild Safari, for example, and Papo are releasing one soon. However, if you want a more "cartoony" one, Ice Age 3 had a Baryonyx villain named Rudy, who has a few figures.

Gwangi

Safari does not have a Baryonyx but Carnegie does. Safari has a Suchomimus. Honestly the best Baryonyx out there is still the Invicta model.

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on September 06, 2015, 12:44:36 AM
Safari does not have a Baryonyx but Carnegie does. Safari has a Suchomimus. Honestly the best Baryonyx out there is still the Invicta model.

Perhaps he is one of a few people who believe that Suchomimus is a Species of Baryonyx

PaleoMatt

CollectA Should really do Nuthetes, an exteremely obscure british dromaeosaur but its full name is Nuthetes destructor so that makes it 10x more cool :)

Crackington

Quote from: TE Matt on September 06, 2015, 01:36:04 PM
CollectA Should really do Nuthetes, an exteremely obscure british dromaeosaur but its full name is Nuthetes destructor so that makes it 10x more cool :)

Made its TV debut (I think) in the "Dinosaur Britain" doc last week.  I think you're right, must be on Collecta's bucket list.

There's also Megalosaurus (lovely figure, though dated, by Invicta and other more recent brands such as Toyway's Natural History Museum range) and Hylaeosaurus (Collecta). These together with Iguanodon are the "Holy British Trinity"on which Richard Owen based the Dinosauria on.

Gwangi

Quote from: Crackington on September 08, 2015, 10:03:55 PM
Quote from: TE Matt on September 06, 2015, 01:36:04 PM

Made its TV debut (I think) in the "Dinosaur Britain" doc last week.  I think you're right, must be on Collecta's bucket list.

There's also Megalosaurus (lovely figure, though dated, by Invicta and other more recent brands such as Toyway's Natural History Museum range) and Hylaeosaurus (Collecta). These together with Iguanodon are the "Holy British Trinity"on which Richard Owen based the Dinosauria on.

I really feel like someone needs to give us a better, more modern Megalosaurus figure.

Crackington

Completely agree, I'd love to see a Collecta British dinosaur toob, now that they've started to expand in to mini figures. Would be good to see all of the original trio included, together with some of the newer discoveries mentioned above.

Silvanusaurus

I've been very interested in acquiring British dinosaurs recently myself, I am thinking of starting a focused British Dinosaur collection, as it would combine two of my greatest passions; Dinosaurs and ancient British history. With the different forms the reconstructions have gone through since the Crystal Palace models (which i have yet to see in person) it could be really interesting. I might also try and customise some other figures to create more obscure species, which I've already started with a Becklespinax. If I build up a good variety I'll post them in a collection thread.

Speaking of crystal palace dinosaurs, are there any figures of these that are relatively easy to get hold of? I'd really love to own one.

tyrantqueen

If you have more than a passing interest in British dinosaurs, Dean Lomax's book, Dinosaurs of the British Isles, is highly recommended. The only criticism I have of the book is the poor cgi models.

QuoteSpeaking of crystal palace dinosaurs, are there any figures of these that are relatively easy to get hold of? I'd really love to own one.

You have three choices, depending on your budget and scale preference.

1. Favorite Ltd's "Oldies" series, which included a Crystal Palace style Iguanodon, amongst other tail draggers. Unfortunately, no Hylaeosaurus or Megalosaurus. They're quite hard to find nowadays.

2. Manuel Bejarano's Shapeways prints. He has them in both 1/72 and 1/40 sizes, and various materials are offered. They need painting but do not require assembly.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/X5WLNJ62A/megalosaurus-retro-1-40?li=search-results-1&optionId=8178029

3. Antedulivian Miniatures resin minis. They have an 1/72 Crystal Palace style Iguanodon and Megalosaurus, as well as Rhamphorynchus and a Hylaeosaurus in the works. Probably the cheapest and easiest to aquire, and they're also based in the UK. You will need some skill in painting and assembling them though.

http://www.antediluvianminiatures.com/shop.html

Silvanusaurus

Thanks, thats great. I really fancy that favourite Oldies one but don't reckon I'm likely to find one. I've never used Shapeways, how is their shipping to the UK? Is there a combined postage cost for multiple items? There's probably a few pieces on there I'd like to get hold of at some point.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on September 10, 2015, 03:03:16 PM
Thanks, thats great. I really fancy that favourite Oldies one but don't reckon I'm likely to find one. I've never used Shapeways, how is their shipping to the UK? Is there a combined postage cost for multiple items? There's probably a few pieces on there I'd like to get hold of at some point.
They ship to the UK and I do believe they combine postage. They use UPS.

laticauda

I can think of three off the top of my head.

Hypsilophodon family by collectA
Megalosaurus by Invicta, Toy Way, and CollectA
Lexovisaurus by CollectA

PaleoMatt

Where is the love for Hylaeosaurus, I never hear about it anymore.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.