You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Viergacht and the magical world of customization

Started by Viergacht, May 10, 2016, 12:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Viergacht on May 26, 2016, 10:58:06 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on May 26, 2016, 07:45:33 PM
What kind of varnish are you using?

Dala Deco matte varnish.

Is it intended for use on models, craft, art etc. or just a general all purpose varnish? It might just be unsuited to use on plastic/modelling materials, or maybe the specific brand reacts badly with the specific paint your using. I've had a similar experience with a matte varnish ruining some of my non-dinosaur projects; either adding a layer of white, or doing the opposite and making something so dark you can barely make out any colours.

Viergacht

From what I can tell it's a general craft varnish. I've used it on painted wooden plaques (same brand of paint) and it worked fine. I'm suspicious it got contaminated with something - sometimes I can't keep people out of my craft area (my fancy expensive scissors seem to walk off all the time).

Tyto_Theropod

Sorry to hear about your varnish troubles - it is the least enjoyable part of a custom for sure, but it is a necessary evil a suppose! I'm currently using Warhammer spray-on matte varnish as they have a shop near where I live. It's easier than ordering Testors Dullcote online and I actually like the effect it gives a lot better. So you could always try using that if it's available where you live.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Viergacht

I used to use the testor's all the time in the states and I loved it - unfortunately I haven't been able to find it here yet. Ah, well.

Viergacht

Sexy Rexy is finished, or as finished as he's gonna get for now.

After the first layer of varnish went streaky and opaque, I took the opportunity to do some small fixes to the paint job, mainly toning down the yellow on the body to match the fur more closely, and making it more bright on the neck. I had to color correct the photos a bit because it was overcast - the tongue is not actually that intense a pink.

I'm rather irked because the lady at the craft store assured me the "suede" varnish was matte but nope, it turned out glossy as ice. I'm sick of messing with it, though, so I'm just gonna set it aside for now.

stargatedalek

You need to make sure you shake varnish really well, or even a matte varnish will gloss.

CityRaptor

Saw it on DA ( really need to upload something/add favs on my account there ). I agree with the comment by that MugenSeiRyuu guy: It reminds me of GabuTyra.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Lanthanotus

I hate what Schleich did to Tyrannosaurus with this figure, but you improved it to a level of outraging decency ... that paint job and the wild fuzz, I cannot get Gremlins out of my head, it totally looks like I remember of of that raucous horde :D.

Viergacht

Quote from: Lanthanotus on June 12, 2016, 08:20:22 PM
I hate what Schleich did to Tyrannosaurus with this figure, but you improved it to a level of outraging decency ... that paint job and the wild fuzz, I cannot get Gremlins out of my head, it totally looks like I remember of of that raucous horde :D.

The details are nice but dang is that sucker wildly out of proportion.
Gremlins- I love that! Now I want to paint a greenish one with a furry with a furry white mohawk!!!

Viergacht

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 12, 2016, 04:32:22 PM
You need to make sure you shake varnish really well, or even a matte varnish will gloss.

I didn't realize that, thanks - before this I've only ever used the Testor's sprays.

Dinomike

Quote from: Viergacht on June 13, 2016, 10:01:36 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on June 12, 2016, 04:32:22 PM

I didn't realize that, thanks - before this I've only ever used the Testor's sprays.

That's quite true - this happened to me once as well. Matter varnish turned out totally glossy. Anyway, a super great custom piece!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Viergacht

Heard a crash last night and discovered the cats had knocked a heavy planter over onto my rexie in progress. SIGH. I think I can fix it, though.

Mamasaurus

Oh no! Hopefully the damage wasn't too great. That red is a wonderful improvement on the Schleich. I love his blue face :)

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Jose S.M.

I really love the new look, specially the head. The original colors made the figure look like too bright for my taste, now it's made it great, I hope you can fix it without problems.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.