News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What's your personal collecting style?

Started by tyrantqueen, March 14, 2012, 10:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paleoferroequine

Style? We ain't got no style. We don't need no style! I don't have to show you any stinkin' style! :o
Seriously, no, really. ;)  As it says, I have no style, no rhyme or reason. ;D  I tend to get what catches my eye, accuracy first, but pose is important. Also I don't go hunting all over to find rare figures or to complete collections, nothing wrong with that but I don't have the time or money for it. Of course my collection won't be as interesting for members to look at either.
Finally, if only one company makes what I want and it is sub-standard then I might get it anyway.  Also victims for slicing 'n dicing are always snatched up!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: paleoferroequine on March 29, 2012, 09:13:42 PM
Style? We ain't got no style. We don't need no style! I don't have to show you any stinkin' style! :o
Seriously, no, really. ;)  As it says, I have no style, no rhyme or reason. ;D  I tend to get what catches my eye, accuracy first, but pose is important. Also I don't go hunting all over to find rare figures or to complete collections, nothing wrong with that but I don't have the time or money for it. Of course my collection won't be as interesting for members to look at either.
Finally, if only one company makes what I want and it is sub-standard then I might get it anyway.  Also victims for slicing 'n dicing are always snatched up!
So....you'll buy anything? Even chinasaurs? Interesting :)) Old Schleich and Carnegie sculpts? Marx? Kenner?

Aram-Rex

I don't only collect dinos, I also collect prehistoric and modern time animal figures. The important things for me are the quality of the figure and the look. Unfortunately have got no much space left on my desks, but still collecting and trying to free some space in my room for the collection. Most of my replicas are papo. I've got some Carnegie and Safari figures too. This forum is AMAZING, cheers.

paleoferroequine

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 29, 2012, 09:17:52 PM
So....you'll buy anything? Even chinasaurs? Interesting :)) Old Schleich and Carnegie sculpts? Marx? Kenner?
Well, no, I did say accuracy first and my idea of sub-standard is older CollectA and more current Bullyland. I have some older Carnegie from the 90's and my childhood Marx figures. No CHINASAURS!! *yuck* For those of you that collect them for the weirdness, don't get mad at me. :P

tyrantqueen

Quote from: paleoferroequine on March 29, 2012, 11:28:03 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 29, 2012, 09:17:52 PM
Well, no, I did say accuracy first and my idea of sub-standard is older CollectA and more current Bullyland. I have some older Carnegie from the 90's and my childhood Marx figures. No CHINASAURS!! *yuck* For those of you that collect them for the weirdness, don't get mad at me. :P
Why'd I be mad? There is no right or wrong way to collect, if you don't like a certain brand or style, then no-one can force you to like it.
I love really weird, old chinasaurs, or chinasaurs that are rip offs of well known brands (like Waiphoon) but I can certainly understand why some people don't like them. You either love them or hate them.  ^-^

Bokisaurus

Yap, agree ;D
I used to collect as many dino figures I can find. But I have seen slowed down, and is more careful of what I add to my collection.
Space is always an issue, so most of my collection are stored away :P
I am currently going through the process of elimination, weeding out those that I no longer need or want. One day, I will post all of my eliminated figures that need a new home ;)

Tylosaurus

People collect things because they interest them items or things, just depending on how you look at it, and that is how I collect and what I collect. it's all due to interest and the will for having such items.
It does not matter what and how you collect items, as long the interest of such items and things really suits ya, go then everything should automatically fall in to place 8)

Libraraptor

I buy what I like! But my heart is too big sometimes, which leads me to buying some random chinasaur stuff I do not like on flea markets because I pity the dinosaurs standing around lonely and want to give them a refugee. But as space becomes an issue more and more because of two children, I try to give up this habit and concentrate on small Kaiyodos, for example!

Metallisuchus

My taste for figures is very much like Gwangi's actually, and I would've thought he'd be the type to dislike unfeathered dromies. Accuracy and detail are about worth the same to me. Regarding accuracy though - it really depends what we're talking about. To sum it up, I guess I can only really accept inaccuracies from the 1990's-view as I don't feel that view is TOO far off. That view will always be burned into my head anyway.

Not counting childhood toys, I basically collect Safari/Carnegie & Papo. I have a few odds & ends though - brands I don't even remember or that I only have one piece from, etc.

I prefer therapods for the most part, but have at least 1 thing from each major group. I recently started on my extant collection as well, and my main interest here are my favorite animals featured in the Zoo Tycoon series, and some birds (still wanting SOMEBODY to make a decent cassowary).

Thagirion

I am picky and don't buy just anything I see. I do like accuracy but prefer detail.  But if they look just plain cool I may buy it too. I love Jurassic Park so I have several of those toys.  I like Papo too because they are very well done and to me realistic and cool.  I like some of the Kaiyodo models too. This is how I do it.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Takama

When i Grow Up (oh wait i already have)

I plan on becoming a story writer, and obviously, i would write about dinosaurs.

Each line I collect represents a specific storey that i plan on writing about, and the dinosaurs whithen the specific collections are what i plan to incorprete.

Modern Safari= A Teen Drama meets Jurassic Park

Carnegie= A SciFi Story that happens to deal with time travel and war.

CollectA= My take on a Documentary type series

Papo= an Epic Fantasy.

I try to work everyday on each of them, but its kind of hard to switch my mind from one toy line to another

amargasaurus cazaui

I tend to collect in themes. By example, I just purchased the psittacosaur skeleton so I am interested in anything I can display with that, and by extension other ceratopsians. Each time I make a new purchase, it somehow themes across to the next for me. If I start adding Amargasaurus toys, then that leads to saltasaurus, and then gigantasaurus, to carnotaurus.....I dont really like collecting entire lines, I work themes that can be used to create a display.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoFan45

I also, if I haven't said this yet, like to add oddballs to my collection. In example, the rereleased Bullyland critters will hopefully be added to mine, and some older ones will be interesting to me.
"Life will find a way."

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: DinoFan45 on June 16, 2012, 01:16:38 AM
I also, if I haven't said this yet, like to add oddballs to my collection. In example, the rereleased Bullyland critters will hopefully be added to mine, and some older ones will be interesting to me.
Oh I had not noticed, a Citipati !! Excellent. I knew nothing about the animal till i purchased a Citipati egg. Great choice
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Lady medusa

I Look for accuracy, sculpt quality, and pose. Color plays a small role too, i like my figures to have cool designs unless i plan to repaint them(which most i do!). When it comes to dragons i like plausible stealthy-warm blooded look, i guess in short i look for the same in my dinos. I also have a major fondness for modern scale models. I would go for alot of them but the prices kinda dampen that. Sideshow is another group of dinos id love to collect but again the pricetag :(

Lady medusa

My collection at the moment consists of kaiyodo, tamayia(to get used to modeling again), X-plus, safari, papo, a scale nanotyrannus by mike jones, dragon attack tylosaurus, a scale crylophosaurus no idea who made it i just really liked it, and creative beasts dilophosaurus. I have a really cool desktop spinosaurus on the way here too.

Dip

Sauropods & prehistoric mammals. Vintage ones; the Inpro & Invictas but only cuz its a nostalgia thing.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.