News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2019 Hopes and Dreams

Started by suspsy, December 30, 2017, 02:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 06, 2018, 02:57:48 PM
Quote from: Night Maw on July 05, 2018, 09:59:24 PM

I hope, from this year onward, we see a lot more diversity of prehistoric creatures, have a mix of dinosaurs, along with mammals, synapsids, amphibians and fish.

Yes!

I too would like to see more diversity represented in the Wild Safari line, but I don't think it would be as simple as what is quoted above.  Additionally, after the Wild Safari prehistoric line-up for this year (2018) I no longer have hope prehistoric diversity will be well-represented in future Wild Safari line-ups. :(

I've actually been thinking about this for some time now, since the 2018 Wild Safari prehistoric line-up was revealed.  There's been a number of times, even in this thread alone, where I think this has been relevant to what was being discussed.  I feel the problem is that it's got to the point where ceratopsids have been made too often for the Wild Safari line, and as a consequence they have prevented a better range of diversity to be represented in the Wild Safari line.

I get that certain groups are more popular than others, and I'm not expecting equal representation either.  Ceratopsidae is by FAR the best-represented group of closely related animals in the Wild Safari line though, while other types of prehistoric animals (including certain types of dinosaurs) which I don't think would sell poorly have very little or no (good) representation in the Wild Safari line.

For me the point where it became too much was in the 2018 WS line-up, where there were two ceratopsids even though there had already been a new WS ceratopsid for 2017, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.  There were 13 2018 WS prehistoric figures, and I didn't find any of the species appealing.  I have no interest in figures of mammals and other synapsids, so that's already over half of the 2018 WS line-up that didn't interest me at all.  This isn't a bad thing in any way, as there are people who are interested in these animals, and there was 6 other figures in the line-up.  But it's among these remaining 6 figures that I feel different interests people have wasn't reflected well.  I have to say with regards to the dinosaurs, Anzu, Ankylosaurus and Malawisaurus were all members of groups that were entirely unrepresented in the WS line so I think it's good to have them represented in the line!  While I felt it was important that a new Triceratops was made for the line, I was left feeling disappointed that a Regaliceratops was made in the same year when the WS line already had a considerable number of good ceratopsid figures and the slot could've gone to something very different which I might have found appealing.  In the end, I found the 2018 WS line-up too repetitive with regards to the types of animals being represented that would generally appeal or not appeal to the same people (e.g. mammal fans, sauropod fans, ceratopsid/ceratopsian fans - and I'm not a fan of any of these types of animals) with the 3 remaining figures (Dimetrodon, Anzu and Ankylosaurus) not representing animals I'd like to have a figure of.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a GOOD thing to have a number of similar animals in a prehistoric figure line as long as it is in good proportion.  Having been made so frequently though, I find new Wild Safari ceratopsids no longer have something that makes them appealing: the quality of being something different to the usual.  The new WS Triceratops still has the quality of being an iconic animal, but for me the WS Regaliceratops has nothing that makes me feel enthusiastic about it.

The fact that it's got to this point is what makes me not have hope for better representation of prehistoric animal diversity in the WS line.  There are interesting animals I'd really like to see made for the WS line, some that would be quite different to anything else in the line, e.g. Plateosaurus, Herrerasaurus and Scelidosaurus.  I'd also really like a new Stegosaurus, currently the stegosaur group hasn't had any good representation in the WS line.  Of course, there are also other types of prehistoric animals that don't have any (good) representation in the WS line which people would like to see made.  I would like it if Safari made new ceratopsid figures less often now in order to make good figures of a wider range of prehistoric animals.  But the way things have been going don't give me hope for this. :-\

Wild Safari isn't the only prehistoric line I feel has overrepresented a particular type of animal, and in WS's case I think it's only been ceratopsids.  CollectA I think has been worse, overrepresenting ceratopsids, tyrannosauroids and allosauroids while never having made a prehistoric dinosaur with accurate wings(!).  I'm not a fan of CollectA's figures though, so it's not a problem for me if they keep up with their unbalanced representation of prehistoric life.  Battat I also felt was heading in the direction of overrepresenting certain groups of dinosaurs while neglecting other types of dinosaurs, after seeing what was planned following the first 6 new Terra figures.  This is why I'm not upset about Battat not continuing to release the figures.  It had reached a point where I didn't like how dinosaur diversity was being represented in the Battat line, which was a problem for me since the three species I really liked that were included in the Battat line were also the three which unfortunately were represented very inaccurately: Utahraptor, Stegosaurus and Gallimimus.  So the Battat line not having a good representation of any dinosaur I like a lot made me lose interest in the line. :-\  I do sympathise with those who wanted to see remaining Battat repaints and new sculpts released though.

Going back to the original comment, I don't think diversity would necessarily be represented well in future WS line-ups if it's a mix of dinosaurs/reptiles/birds, mammals/synapsids, amphibians and fish.  What also matters is what types of animals are being represented from these very diverse groups, in particular whether ceratopsids will continue to get lots of representation that could otherwise go to dinosaurs (and other animals) people desire that would better reflect the diversity that exists.

What I've expressed in this post isn't meant to criticise anyone, it's just how I feel about species representation.  Maybe I'll be disliked for what I've said in this post, but I feel it's time I said it rather than continue keeping it inside me.

Halichoeres

I think I'm picking up what you're laying down, Sim, but it seems to me that it's been pretty difficult to predict from year to year what Safari will bring out, except that, yes, there is usually a ceratopsid. It might be that after this year, they'll consider their mammal lineup pretty strong and turn their attention to other groups they haven't spent much time on. Might just be wishful thinking on my part, though.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Also Safari could make prehistoric fish apart from the fabulous dunkleosteus.

And it would not have to be prehistoric Paleozoic or Mesozoic fishes that could have disappeared, they could be living fossils like Favorite fossils. Safari has great potential to make fish that are relics of the past and not just the coelacanth.

Vidusaurus

Now that we've got a half-dozen confirmed figures, it might be worth having a look at what we've got and what's missing from the usual Safari staple to see what else might be in store. We've had the traditional big carnivore (Carnotaurus), sauropod (Camarasaurus), ceratopsian (Styracosaurus) and mammal (Coelodonta), as well as Prestosuchus and Citipati. One of the big things still missing is the annual thyreophoran, which could mean Stegosaurus is on its way. We also usually get another small-medium sized theropod and an ornithopod, so mark those down as well. It would also be nice to see another stem-synapsid from Doug to go with the recent Dimetrodon, while updated sculpts for Allosaurus and Pteranodon are also long overdue. Allosaurus and Stegosaurus would also go with the already-announced Camarasaurus
With that, here is my prediction for the second half of Safari's 2019 lineup (assuming we've seen exactly half already):
Stegosaurus
Allosaurus
Deinonychus or Utahraptor
Ischigualastia (a dicynodont and contemporary of Prestosuchus)
Pteranodon sternbergi
A smallish elasmarian (something like Dryosaurus, Thescelosaurus or Rhabdodon) OR Ouranosaurus

Shonisaurus

We need a pteranodon that is at the height of that representative pterosaurio. This prehistoric reptile is very much underestimated in the toy market in relation to the big brands and companies of western toy dinosaurs.

I would like a sivatherium. Although with six developments revealed every time there is less chance of new figures.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I wanted to post my little wish list of some thing I would like to see released by Safari Ltd (not all next year of course). I have divided them into groups:

Tyrannosauroids
Tarbosaurus
Eotyrannus
Lythronax
Tratayenia
Gorgosaurus
Alioramus
Torvosaurus
Megaraptor
Albertosaurus
Guanlong

Allosauroids
Allosaurus
Concavenator
Neovenator
Metriacanthosaurus
Mapusaurus

Ceratosaurs
Abelisaurus
Noasaurus
Rugops
Indosaurus
Velocisaurus

Therizinosauroids
Nothronychus
Falcarius
Beipiaosaurus
Segnosaurus

Deinonychosauria
Utahraptor
Deinonychus
Dakotaraptor
Stenonychosaurus
Zanabazar
Buitreraptor
Austroraptor
Dromaeosaurus
Halszkaraptor
Latenivenatrix
Zhenyuanlong

Ornithomimosauria
Struthiomimus
Beishanlong
Pelecanimimus
Gallimimus

Megalosauroids
Megalosaurus
Baryonyx
Eustreptospondylus
Ichthyovenator
Piatnitzkysaurus
Poekilopleuron

Oviraptorsaurs
Khaan
Gigantoraptor
Caenagnathus
Caudipteryx

Other Maniraptoriforms
Mononykus
Yi qi
Anchiornis
Linhenykus
Fukuivenator

Other Coelurosaurs
Compsognathus
Sinosauropteryx
Coelurus
Ornitholestes

Other Therapods
Dilophosaurus
Herrerasaurus
Sinosaurus
Cryolophosaurus

Sauropods
Giraffatitan
Brachytrachelopan
Mamenchisaurus
Cetiosaurus
Argentinosaurus
Brontosaurus
Agustinia
Alamosaurus
Barosaurus
Futalognkosaurus
Rebbachisaurus

Non-sauropod Sauropodomorphs
Plateosaurus
Aardonyx
Melanorosaurus
Ingentia

Ceratopsids
Kosmoceratops
Sinoceratops
Chasmosaurus
Centrosaurus
Arrhinoceratops
Medusaceratops
Agujaceratops
Wendiceratops

Other Ceratopsians
Protoceratops
Bagaceratops
Udanoceratops
Koreaceratops
Turanoceratops
Gryphoceratops
Micropachycephalosaurus
Yinlong

Pachycephalosaurs
Pachycephalosaurus
Homalocephale
Gravitholus

Stegosauria
Stegosaurus
Gigantspinosaurus
Tuojiangosaurus
Dacentrurus
Miragaia
Kentrosaurus
Huayangosaurus
Hesperosaurus

Ankylosauria
Polacanthus
Denversaurus
Borealopelta
Euoplocephalus
Nodosaurus
Liaoningosaurus
Edmontonia

Other Thyreophorans
Scelidosaurus
Scutellosaurus
Isaberrysaura

Hadrosaurids
Edmontosaurus
Corythosaurus
Maiasaura
Lambaeosaurus
Tsintaosaurus
Saurolophus
Hypacrosaurus
Shantungosaurus
Prosaurolophus
Hadrosaurus
Magnapaulia
Olorotitan

Other Ornithopods
Camptosaurus
Leaellynasaura
Thescelosaurus
Muttaburrasaurus
Mantellisaurus
Hypsilophodon
Dakotadon
Dryosaurus
Hippodraco
Lurdusaurus

Other Ornithischians
Kulindadromeus
Heterodontosaurus
Othnielosaurus

Other dinosaurs
Chilesaurus

Avialans
Hesperornis
Teratornis
Elephant bird
Giant Moa
Haast's eagle
Great Auk
Confuciusornis

Mammals
Leptictidium
Chalicotherium
Didelphodon
Thylacoleo
Columbian mammoth
Thylacosmilus
Ambulocetus
Thylacine
Glyptodon
Aurochs
Steller's Sea Cow
Repenomamus
Gigantopithecus
Arctodus

Non-mammal synapsids
Edaphosaurus
Cotylorhynchus

Pterosaurs
Pteranodon
Nyctosaurus
Ornithochierus
Anurognathus
Hatzegopteryx
Aerotitan
Rhamphorhynchus
Geosternbergia
Pterodactylus

Crocodylomorphs
Armadillosuchus
Borealosuchus
Simosuchus
Arizonasaurus

Other archosaurs
Desmatosuchus
Silesaurus
Parathypothorax
Fasolasuchus

Marine Reptiles
Ichthyosaurus
Plesiosaurus
Archelon
Mosasaurus
Shonisaurus

Amphibians & kin
Koolasuchus
Diplocaulus
Eryops

Therapsids
Lystrosaurus
Moschops
Estemmenosuchus

Other
Tullimonstrum

Sorry about putting it in the wrong place at first.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

A deinosuchus, purasuchus or sarcosuchus on Safari's part would be great.

In relation to ceraptosides a centrosaurus, protoceratops, achelosaurus, chasmosaurus, pentaceratops, arrhinoceratops, avaceratops, rubeosaurus, utahceratops or a torosaurus.

From hadrosaurs a lambeosaurus, olorotitan, tsintaosaurus (with its new scientific appearance), shantungosaurus, edmontosaurus, probactrosaurus, kritosaurus, prosaurolophus or saurolophus.

Carnivorous dinosaurs: metriaconthosaurus, gorgosaurus, allosaurus, daspletosaurus, tarbosaurus (tyrannosaurus bataar), alioramus, megalosaurus, neovenator, baryonyx, irritator, spinosaurus, albertosaurus, megaraptor, deinonychus, mapusaurus, concavenator or utahraptor.

Sauropods: saltasaurus, argentinosaurus, dicraeosaurus, barapasaurus, brontosaurus or agustinia.

Small dinosaurs scipionyx, compsognatus, mononykus, yi qi, orodromeus.

Mamiferoid reptiles: estemmenosuchus, edaphosaurus, moschops, cynognathus, moschorhinus, lystrosaurus or a pristerognathus.

As for prehistoric mammals since they have made the coelodonta it would be interesting a paraceratherium, elasmontherium, teleoceras or hispanotherium. '

Flying reptiles: dsungaripterus, germanodactylus, pteranodon, gallodactylus, hatzegopteryx.

I do not honestly believe that any of these do this year Safari but perhaps the allosaurus ... could be a possible figure of Safari 2019 this year.

Halichoeres

I mostly just want good Toobs again.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Sauropelta

Gothmog the Baryonyx basically posted everything. I just want new accurate dinos like Utahraptor, Struthiomimus, Pelecanimimus, Giraffatitan, Rubeosaurus, Protoceratops, Tuojiangosaurus, Borealopelta, Edmontonia, Talarurus, Tupandactylus, ect. New stuff that's not on the market is what wild safari should do.

Does wild safari read these threads?
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

JohannesB

A gorgeous model of a walking giant pterosaur would be nice.

Halichoeres

Sim, I have to say you were more right than I expected. I think all of Safari's releases this year are strong, but they are pretty limited in terms of diversity and only the Prestosuchus is an adventurous taxon choice. I'm particularly partial to the Paleozoic, and I looked over Safari's releases of the last few years, and the only Paleozoic animal they've released in the last 5 years was the Dimetrodon, which is a pretty standard dinosaur line species. The last Paleozoic release before that was the Cambrian Toob, which is already discontinued. Obviously you and I have different specific wishes when we request more diversity, but anyway it looks like Paleozoic stuff doesn't sell for Safari, as the Scutosaurus and Inostrancevia are also discontinued. That's a bummer but maybe CollectA can fill in some of those gaps.

suspsy

You know, I had honestly forgotten that I was the one who started this thread back at the end of 2017. I just want to state that I am truly grateful that three of my hopes and dreams, the Allosaurus, the Stegosaurus, and the standing Pteranodon, came true. Thank you once again, Safari and Doug Watson! :)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Renecito

Quote from: suspsy on October 03, 2018, 01:50:12 PM
You know, I had honestly forgotten that I was the one who started this thread back at the end of 2017. I just want to state that I am truly grateful that three of my hopes and dreams, the Allosaurus, the Stegosaurus, and the standing Pteranodon, came true. Thank you once again, Safari and Doug Watson! :)

Congrats!

I had two: "Spinosaurus" and "Carnotaurus"
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: suspsy on October 03, 2018, 01:50:12 PM
I just want to state that I am truly grateful that three of my hopes and dreams, the Allosaurus, the Stegosaurus, and the standing Pteranodon, came true. Thank you once again, Safari and Doug Watson! :)
Same here
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.