News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which Big Al is which?

Started by radman, August 30, 2013, 06:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radman

So, I was thinking about getting the Manit/Stone Troll allo, and realized I really needed to get around to putting bases on some of my recent and some long-neglected Allo models first, and thought I'd put the results up here for y'all to enjoy.  Some are finished (bought) models, some are kinda painted, some are sorta builtup.  Anyway, just for fun, pick a model and tell me the artist and the scale.  I know some of you out there, (like Blade) are big Allo fans and know most or all of these, so please only one answer per person!  Correct answers win good karma from me, like way back in the old days ;).
Have fun!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I wonder if I should even play.. lol  I do know six of them but I only own three of those shown. heh

ataraxus

mmh, unpainted the first is from Jonathan Rader ?

Takama

I see a Favorite and a Fuanacasts

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on August 31, 2013, 05:01:07 AM
I see a Favorite and a Fuanacasts
But which is it ?  Only one guess per person remember . :)

tyrantqueen

6th from the right: Dan LoRusso: 1/35.

s.foulkes

Quote from: radman on August 30, 2013, 06:27:35 PM
So, I was thinking about getting the Manit/Stone Troll allo, and realized I really needed to get around to putting bases on some of my recent and some long-neglected Allo models first, and thought I'd put the results up here for y'all to enjoy.  Some are finished (bought) models, some are kinda painted, some are sorta builtup.  Anyway, just for fun, pick a model and tell me the artist and the scale.  I know some of you out there, (like Blade) are big Allo fans and know most or all of these, so please only one answer per person!  Correct answers win good karma from me, like way back in the old days ;).
Have fun!

Last one on the bottom row is a  kaiyodo allo but this one comes with the rearing Barosaurus. Both this one and the other 1/35 were made by the same sculptor but as separate kits.

Edited to make one guess/answer.
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

dutchdinolover

3rd of the bottom row (the missing his lower jaw) is a geenemodel, allosaurus 1/40 sculpted by galileo. (one of my favorite sculptors). I own this one as well (with the rearing barosaurus mother and child) love it.

I know 5 of them

radman

Okay, positive karma for all those that played! ^-^

Your guesses were all correct, although not everyone mentioned the scale.  I'm kinda fascinated by how artists determine scale for their models, is the size based upon the average size, the largest known specimens, or a particular individual?
Lengthwise, these models are all pretty close to each other, but the scales differ wildly, as follows:
From top left to bottom right, first Mike Jones 1:40  (to see more of this kit, look here:  http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,1170.15.html), S. Foulkes/Dinostoreus 1:35, M.Mlodoch/Faunacasts 1:40, Kaiyodo vinyl/Dinotales 1:35 (I'm guessing, as there are no specifics on the box, which is labeled Allosaurus (Antrodemus)),
Bottom row J. Rader/Raderstudios 1:20 (from what I recall, this model was based specifically on the "Big Al"  fossils discovered in the 90's.  Big Al  itself was a subadult and not very large, see here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Allosaurus_size_comparison.svg).
Next is D. Lorusso/Dinosaur Studio 1:35 (still lacking its arms, at this juncture), G. Hernandez/Geene Models 1:40 (lacking tongue and mandible) and finally Kaiyodo Resin - not sure of the sculptor or scale although I'm guessing it's 1:30 as it is the largest of the bunch, or maybe it's based on specimen 680?  Always happy to learn more about these if anyone has anymore information.

BrontoScorpio

Hi,
Can anyone reconstruct the old photo whom this topic is about ?
I'm really intrigued to see the picture in question...
Thanks.

Halichoeres

Here's the image url: http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt152/christiankn/003_zpseb6e575b.jpg

However, Photobucket isn't even allowing views when you click through to the site. Maybe somebody knows a way to extract the image, but I don't. The owner of the album (and originator of this thread) has died, so unless someone knows some Photobucket hacks, I think the photo is lost.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.