News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Quote from: Horridus on November 18, 2012, 05:53:30 PM
Quote from: Himmapaan on November 18, 2012, 05:32:22 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean, but those are the usual traits in sauropod figures upon the whole. Even the recent Safari Brachiosaurus has all those, and one wouldn't really call it a retrograde-looking figure.
Not quite, though - it only has the one claw per manus, for example.

Also, its nostrils are positioned correctly. I think the Papo Brach looks quite retro indeed, by comparison.

indy1936

Quote from: Himmapaan on November 18, 2012, 02:01:03 PM
I don't see the Papo Brachiosaurus as being retrograde though. Its silhouette doesn't speak so. The top line (and in particular where the tail meets the hips) is quite in keeping with modern reconstructions. It's probably the only part that might be said to be 'accurate'.

Those parts are quite nice. The hump before the neck and the angle of the tail meeting the back is great. It also has one less toe on the front and back foot than the old Carnegie Brachiosaurus.

Also, that is Carnegie's 1996 updated sculpt Brachiosaurus. Repainted in 2007. I have the 1989 too and it is bigger than the 1996 but the sculpt is even worse. 

CityRaptor

So which one is better? 1989 or 1996?

As for the Papo Brachio, I think it fits quite well with the rest of their JP-inspired Menangerie.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Himmapaan

Quote from: Pixelboy on November 18, 2012, 08:21:18 PM
Quote from: Horridus on November 18, 2012, 05:53:30 PM
Quote from: Himmapaan on November 18, 2012, 05:32:22 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean, but those are the usual traits in sauropod figures upon the whole. Even the recent Safari Brachiosaurus has all those, and one wouldn't really call it a retrograde-looking figure.
Not quite, though - it only has the one claw per manus, for example.

Also, its nostrils are positioned correctly. I think the Papo Brach looks quite retro indeed, by comparison.

The Papo will never look as correct as any of its counterparts. Especially not when we examine the individual features. We already know this.  ;) My point was that as a whole, I don't think it looks retro in itself. It's simply another Papo, neither quite here nor there, but managing to be very seductive (at least to some of us).

Though I still maintain that its overall silhouette is commendable and resembles that of modern reconstructions. Indy1936's points about its 'withers', hips and tail seem to agree with this. I even think it bears a curious (and obviously coincidental) resemblance to a certain silly drawing, not that the latter is anything to go by...  :P

Seijun

Meh, the Silly Drawing looks way better though.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

indy1936

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 19, 2012, 12:18:09 AM
So which one is better? 1989 or 1996?

As for the Papo Brachio, I think it fits quite well with the rest of their JP-inspired Menangerie.

I like the sculpt of the 96 better. There was a repaint to dark green in the mid 2000s. The 89 was a bit larger and while I'm fond of huge sauropod models it was kind of rough looking!

Blade-of-the-Moon

From what I've heard it's selling very well right now. So there must be a lot of interest in it. :)

I have both the 89' and the 96' and while the 96' is more accurate the 89' is my favorite. It was one of two of my very first Carnegie's and a gift from my grandmother who picked them up for me is Disney World.  That big Brachio was a bruiser. He fought off all of my theropods , waded through rivers lakes and streams, fell off cliffs and even survived a giant ape carrying him around by neck EVERYWHERE ! lol ;D 

Jetoar

Is the same situation with my Brontosaurus of dinoriders. Hi fought with my T-Rex like as Land before time  ^-^. From my point of view  old Carnegies barchiosaurus are better than new for they size and in another hand for their colors.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

DC

Well 2012 is almost over.  Most of the action is on the 2013 thread.  The Dinosaur train 2012 have slowly been showing up but not so often, itseems Takara Tomy is not much interested in the standard figures as I expect they are getting a better profit per Unit on the automated figures.  The 2012 has the X ray gimmick you put on 3D glasses that come with the figure and you see skeletons.  Disney Dinosaur did something similar but with hot water.I like the fact they picked Alamosaurus

Amargasosaurus,  Alamosaurus, and Maiasaura and Iguanodon are all hard to find.  I expect they may me the last release of the small and large bulk figures.

http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/dinoTrain12.html

You can never have too many dinosaurs

Blade-of-the-Moon

Been doing my best to not buy that DT Allosaurus.. but it's hard ! It's too cute.. lol ;D

DC

For Christmas Micro Kingdom has released 3 play sets. They have the same look as the mixed adult and baby dinosaur sets have at ToysRus which is not a great look look. 
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Primeval12

Got the dead triceratops today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf78W33BT0w

Along with other things.

Balaur

Brocc21

2012 was a good year man.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.