You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which CollectA Mapusaurus do you prefer?

Started by DinoToyForum, May 10, 2012, 04:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which version of the CollectA Mapusaurus do you prefer?

The prototype
40 (74.1%)
The final model
14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

SBell

Quote from: Mironimus on May 14, 2012, 11:04:08 AM
When I first saw the picture with the two versions of Mapusaurus, I thought that this is a juvenile and an adult of Mapusaurus.
If this would be the case I somehow like both. ;)

When you put it that way--a scrawny teenager with it's bulky parent--the two together would make sense. But I have enough to buy this year without 'variations'!

Jetoar

The prototype is better than copy. Why collecta change the Mapusaurus?
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

SBell

Now that I actually have the figure, it's pretty brilliant. Probably more important, it i popular with consumers (the only one we had in that sold out faster was the Argentinasaurus).

Maybe the 'prototype' model would have been better. Or maybe it would have looked scrawny, or failed to stand well (like the tiny-footed Rajasaurus).

Roselaar

Quote from: SBell on August 12, 2012, 05:08:25 PM
Probably more important, it i popular with consumers

Can you imagine how well the prototype sculpt Mapusaurus would have sold!  ^-^

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on August 12, 2012, 08:04:44 PM

Probably about the same--less than two weeks and we've sold out  ;)

postsaurischian

Quote from: SBell on August 13, 2012, 02:08:02 AM

I would have bought the prototype, but I won't get the ugly not-being-able-to-stand result.
It's a bit annoying that CollectA still use the wrong reference pics. Without the DTF I would have fallen for that >:(.
:-\  The popularity with consumers who are offered wrong pictures is relative!

ajax

I like my Mapu. Nice colours, nice head, decent details, unique species, good pose, stands on 2 feet, Congrat's Collecta, can't wait for next years dinosaurs.

SBell

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 13, 2012, 05:06:00 AM

I would have bought the prototype, but I won't get the ugly not-being-able-to-stand result.
It's a bit annoying that CollectA still use the wrong reference pics. Without the DTF I would have fallen for that >:(.

Every single Mapu in our store stood perfectly well, no issues (unlike the Rajasaurus).  So to make it clear--we are one of those weird places with an actual store. In a museum. Where people can see the figure. And buy it quickly.

postsaurischian

Quote from: SBell on August 13, 2012, 05:48:55 AM
Every single Mapu in our store stood perfectly well, no issues (unlike the Rajasaurus).

O.K., so I was misinformed about that.

Roselaar

My Mapusaurus has a hard time standing up even with the plastic between its legs. I'm not saying the proto-Mapu would have done a better job a this (we all know Collecta's track record on upright standing Theropods), but at least it didn't look as saggy. The paint job is still pretty good though.

ajax

Quote from: Roselaar on August 13, 2012, 12:20:08 PM
My Mapusaurus has a hard time standing up even with the plastic between its legs. I'm not saying the proto-Mapu would have done a better job a this (we all know Collecta's track record on upright standing Theropods), but at least it didn't look as saggy. The paint job is still pretty good though.

You must have a dud, No Mapu I have seen looks 'saggy' and they all stand quite well.

Seijun

Quote from: ajax on August 13, 2012, 11:51:55 PM

You must have a dud, No Mapu I have seen looks 'saggy' and they all stand quite well.

I think they all look saggy  :P  The "new" mapu reminds me of a really old, really overweight labrador dog.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

SBell

Quote from: Seijun on August 14, 2012, 04:47:48 AM
Quote from: ajax on August 13, 2012, 11:51:55 PM

I think they all look saggy  :P  The "new" mapu reminds me of a really old, really overweight labrador dog.

You think that because dinosaurs are usually depicted so lean and skinny.

Seijun

I have seen some very beautiful beefy theropods before. I love a hefty trex or giganoto over a lean one any day, but this mapu does not look beefy to me. He looks obese and flabby. I would not have minded a beefed up mapu, but I don't think that effect was executed well at all in this case.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

juju1305

Quote from: SBell on August 13, 2012, 05:48:55 AM
Quote from: postsaurischian on August 13, 2012, 05:06:00 AM

Every single Mapu in our store stood perfectly well, no issues (unlike the Rajasaurus).  So to make it clear--we are one of those weird places with an actual store. In a museum. Where people can see the figure. And buy it quickly.

Mine has stability issues, but I guess this is definitely connected with a combination of transportation issues and figure material, as I have experienced this with other CollectA figures (kelenken, concavenator...)

EmperorDinobot

I really dig this. Where can I find such a replica?

Pawnosuchus

I don't have too much of a problem with the new one except that it kind of reminds me of the T-Rex in the Ringo Starr "Caveman" movie.

SBell

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on August 16, 2012, 12:56:54 PM
I really dig this. Where can I find such a replica?

I'm out of them, but I'm guessing Dan's Dinosaurs still has some.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.